HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 5:08 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Any insights on how the hearing might go? Is this a challenge or simply a crossing T's and dotting I's?
I don't see any local opposition to the height increase. There are no nearby single family houses and if someone voices their opinion against an addition 15' on top of a 525' tower, they would have to be

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 2:00 AM

Once the height issue is addressed, what kind of time frame might we be on for this project?

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Once the height issue is addressed, what kind of time frame might we be on for this project?
Pure speculation on my part (although I have experience in this type of development), I would guess they probably don't break ground until Q1 2021 at the earliest, maybe Q2 2021. I would be absolutely shocked if they broke ground this year, although they could prove me wrong.

They are still wrapping up final items for Prelim Site Plan Approval, which probably will not be done for another month or so. Assuming they are still moving forward with their Design Development and progressing their plans, after site plan approval 4-6 months is about normal timeline to get Construction Documents approved and permits issued (including City review time). This project is much larger and more complicated than usual, so you may want to add a couple months grace period, hence Q1 2021.

Also, that would put groundbreaking a couple months away from when Aspire is wrapping up. Developers don't like to have two buildings opening too close to one another (18-24 month gap preferred) to ensure time to lease the prior building up before they bring a new one to market. See Link Phase 1/II, X Phoenix/X PHX BC, Stewart/Aspire all as examples.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 3:22 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
Pure speculation on my part (although I have experience in this type of development), I would guess they probably don't break ground until Q1 2021 at the earliest, maybe Q2 2021. I would be absolutely shocked if they broke ground this year, although they could prove me wrong.

They are still wrapping up final items for Prelim Site Plan Approval, which probably will not be done for another month or so. Assuming they are still moving forward with their Design Development and progressing their plans, after site plan approval 4-6 months is about normal timeline to get Construction Documents approved and permits issued (including City review time). This project is much larger and more complicated than usual, so you may want to add a couple months grace period, hence Q1 2021.

Also, that would put groundbreaking a couple months away from when Aspire is wrapping up. Developers don't like to have two buildings opening too close to one another (18-24 month gap preferred) to ensure time to lease the prior building up before they bring a new one to market. See Link Phase 1/II, X Phoenix/X PHX BC, Stewart/Aspire all as examples.
These insights are very welcome. Thank you and welcome to the forum. I look forward to what you bring to the table.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:57 PM
Modulator

Already posted in the Phoenix Development forum, but posting here so it doesn't get overshadowed by the parking garage topic:

The FAA appears to have reversed their decision (or corrected it) for Astra's height and Astra is now not deemed an adverse hazard with an approved height of 541'.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...27951249&row=0

I expect that the City of Phoenix will have no issue during the rezoning hearing to approve the zoning height adjustment due to the FAA's decision.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 7:13 PM
Skyriser

Considering that the height limits there are strictly guided by the FAA, I would agree with you.

I highly doubt this project will build out but i like the idea of a developer willing to push the limits.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Considering that the height limits there are strictly guided by the FAA, I would agree with you.

I highly doubt this project will build out but i like the idea of a developer willing to push the limits.
Why is that?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Already posted in the Phoenix Development forum, but posting here so it doesn't get overshadowed by the parking garage topic:

The FAA appears to have reversed their decision (or corrected it) for Astra's height and Astra is now not deemed an adverse hazard with an approved height of 541'.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...27951249&row=0

I expect that the City of Phoenix will have no issue during the rezoning hearing to approve the zoning height adjustment due to the FAA's decision.
Thanks CrestedSaguaro much appreciated! On the FAA website, it says construction period June 01, 2020 - June 01, 2022. Is this information accurate when provided to the FAA?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 8:43 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

I don't see why it wouldn't. Aspirant is an aggressive developer and they pretty much started the current build trend (with the Stewart) and continue to lead the push in northern DT Phoenix when it comes to high-rise development. So far, they are 2 for 0 at the plate. I believe someone on here has an inside source and verified that Astra is pretty much ready to go (which one of you guys said that?) pending some stuff that needs approval with the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA744PHX View Post
Thanks CrestedSaguaro much appreciated! On the FAA website, it says construction period June 01, 2020 - June 01, 2022. Is this information accurate when provided to the FAA?
Not usually from what I've found. I think that is just more of a placeholder or maybe a push to get a quicker approval?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
On the FAA website, it says construction period June 01, 2020 - June 01, 2022.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Would've those applications have been submitted prior to Corona virus? I expect this will be delayed, but man it would be a nice surprise if they started this summer.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 4:18 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Would've those applications have been submitted prior to Corona virus? I expect this will be delayed, but man it would be a nice surprise if they started this summer.
It's not going to start this summer. I expect a late 2020, but more likely 2021 start date.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 10:30 PM
Modulator

My public records request for the Astra follow-up came in. Not too much has changed, just minor details. Confirmed structural height of the building is listed at 535'.

A follow-up letter from the attorney's representing the project is also included with the PAPP. They sure do sound confident this is going to happen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aYq...ew?usp=sharing

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 10:57 PM

Quote:
My public records request for the Astra follow-up came in. Not too much has changed, just minor details. Confirmed structural height of the building is listed at 535'.

A follow-up letter from the attorney's representing the project is also included with the PAPP. They sure do sound confident this is going to happen.

Thanks for posting! All these updates are definitely encouraging to hopefully see this built.

2 other minor things I noticed, for traffic control, are that a signalized intersection at 2nd Ave & Fillmore and an added north-bound lane on 2nd Ave.

With all the added investment on 2nd Ave w/ the Second at Fillmore apartments going up and hopefully Astra, I wonder if anything happens to the Charles Pugh house and somehow gets rehabbed and brought back to life

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Jun 3, 2020 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:

Actually there is a change, the second tower was only 359 feet, now it's 415. It appears the office space increased in height. great news!!!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 11:15 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Actually there is a change, the second tower was only 359 feet, now it's 415. It appears the office space increased in height. great news!!!
How the heck did I miss that?!? Thanks for pointing that out!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 11:18 PM

Damn I missed that too! So a new tallest AND a 400' as well?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Damn I missed that too! So a new tallest AND a 400' as well?
A dethroning of both the tallest (Chase Tower) and second tallest (US Bank) towers in the state!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 11:43 PM
Skyriser

I dug into the PDF and it's two new tallests. US Bank Center is 407', the south tower is 415'. They're using the definition of the roof as to exclude mechanical as they should.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 11:44 PM
Skyriser

I feel that was intentional, btw.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest