HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 1:58 AM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypothalamus View Post

©hypothalamus

i demand equal sidewalk rights!!!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
There's a difference between being a pessimist and a realist.
Realism can be just as subjective as pessimism. This project would fall into that category.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:16 AM
DENNAB

Yes I know, and I really don't want to be that guy or seem like a downer or anything because I love NY and the USA but it just seems every amazing project gets downsized, put on hold or cancelled outright only to be replaced with something shittier. I'm not saying this always happens or that it will happen this time but I also don't see why my hopes should be super high either... just my two cents.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Yesit just seems every amazing project gets downsized, put on hold or cancelled outright only to be replaced with something shittier.
Can you please name some of these projects you're referring to? I can't think of any realistic recent projects that turned to shit projects.

And I can't think of anything that gets outright cancelled. Stuff gets put on hold all the time, but air rights eventually get used.

Most projects seem to get better with time. Hudson Yards, 432 Park, 107 W.57, 43 E. 60, 220 CPS, etc.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Yes I know, and I really don't want to be that guy or seem like a downer or anything because I love NY and the USA but it just seems every amazing project gets downsized, put on hold or cancelled outright only to be replaced with something shittier. I'm not saying this always happens or that it will happen this time but I also don't see why my hopes should be super high either... just my two cents.
After seeing the initial renderings I cannot image having high expectations for this project. The base is awkward, the cantilever worse, and there is no indication there will be a crown. It will be a tall, glassy, uninspiring glass box. To expect more is masochism.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 6:10 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Can you please name some of these projects you're referring to? I can't think of any realistic recent projects that turned to shit projects.

And I can't think of anything that gets outright cancelled. Stuff gets put on hold all the time, but air rights eventually get used.

Most projects seem to get better with time. Hudson Yards, 432 Park, 107 W.57, 43 E. 60, 220 CPS, etc.

I was more referring to the US as a whole (for which the list would be too lengthy, Transbay in SF, Wilshire in LA both got height cuts, Chicago has a ton of projects that were shortened or never built, Philadelphia has the ACC etc. etc.) but even in NY there are a few. Hudson yards, Tower Verre and this were originally going to be taller, 3WTC got shortened (and will probably never be built), 1WTC is missing it's radome etc.

On a world scale NY has it super well, far better than almost everyone, and I'm happy for this city, but unless the design of this new building is absolutely exceptional a 1425 foot roof really isn't news anymore since Sears Tower passed that in 1974.

But it's still pretty great so I'm not actually upset about it, I would just love for someone to break that height barrier.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 7:01 AM
New Yorker for life

This ship is sinking fast. I think it's best we put a plug in it until there's news.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 8:43 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

217 West 57th Street Watch

Quote:
Excavation is well underway at 217 West 57th Street, the Extell tower that will house a Nordstrom, a bunch of condos, and will cantilever over the neighboring Art Students League. NY YIMBY got some pictures of all the equipment doing its work, as well as the equipment at the equally active 220 Central Park South site across the street.
=====================================
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...l_underway.php

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 2:21 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

^^^That's 220 CPS

New York YIMBY:

Construction Update: 217 West 57th Street
BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON MAY 2ND 2014 AT 1:00 PM

217 West 57th Street, photo by Andrew McKeon

Quote:
Besides the equipment on-site, blasting is also underway for 217 West 57th
Street, with regular explosions carving out the bedrock underneath the site;
given the tower’s pit will eventually reach 80 feet below street level, a
significant amount of work remains before normalcy can resume. In the race
to the bottom, it seems as though 220 Central Park South has the advantage,
given its smaller overall scope.

[...]

217 West 57th Street, photo by Andrew McKeon

217 West 57th Street and 220 Central Park South, photo by Andrew McKeon, click for larger version

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 3:09 PM

Great photo! Thanks for posting that huge version, which is well work clicking through to see. Amazing to see 9 big excavators/shovels working within a few hundred feet of each other.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 3:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Amazing to see both these sites in a "race" of sorts. One rising nearly 1,000 ft, the other above 1,400 ft. And yet, not the most exciting thing going on in town. That says a lot about where we are right now.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 6:37 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Amazing to see both these sites in a "race" of sorts. One rising nearly 1,000 ft, the other above 1,400 ft. And yet, not the most exciting thing going on in town. That says a lot about where we are right now.
And we have yet to see the final design for either, the suspense is just killing me.

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 1:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Nice clip....

Video Link

magnumferrari308

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 8:26 PM

If this building looks anything like its rendering, I sets standards pretty low and will look pretty horrible in the skyline. I really hope the final design has a crown at least.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Those were massing models not renderings.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 9:36 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I think he's talking about the renderings that were shown, not the massings from DOB. Admittedly they weren't the best renderings, but they were renderings.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 10:00 PM

Im talking about these pictures

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 2:21 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ I think he's talking about the renderings that were shown, not the massings from DOB. Admittedly they weren't the best renderings, but they were renderings.

I feel like the building will look something like that, and I actually really like the design, it's simple but very tall and nice blue glass, looks a little like Chow Tai Fook Guangzhou in the last picture.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 2:40 AM

Quote:
I feel like the building will look something like that, and I actually really like the design, it's simple but very tall and nice blue glass, looks a little like Chow Tai Fook Guangzhou in the last picture.
Thats the problem in my opinion, its too simple. If you are going to build the second tallest building (tallest roof height) in the US, it has to be something special and memorable. WTC 1/2 and ESB are both amazing. 432 park is okay. But I just really hope they give it something to top it off so it doesn't look so....... plain.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 3:18 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael12374 View Post
Thats the problem in my opinion, its too simple. If you are going to build the second tallest building (tallest roof height) in the US, it has to be something special and memorable. WTC 1/2 and ESB are both amazing. 432 park is okay. But I just really hope they give it something to top it off so it doesn't look so....... plain.
It won't be the highest roof in the US, just in NYC. Sears in Chicago is 1451' to the rooftop.

But still still great nonetheless.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive