HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 11:59 PM
HVAC guru

The great Canadian summer holidays thread

Summer’s here and it’s time for a vacation. Where are you going on summer holidays, doing anything interesting ? Post your plans and pics.

We’re in BC for 15 days. Heading to Nelson from Edmonton first, we have a little cabin rented on Kootenay Lake out by Balfour for a couple days. Then we’ll head up and spend 2-3 days in Vernon to see my folks and spend a day in Kelowna. From there we’ll head up to our cabin on Bridge Lake in the Cariboo, and while there we’re going to do an overnighter up to Barkerville. I also want to finish the kitchen in the cabin which has been an ongoing 3 year project and maybe take the boat around to a few different lakes we haven’t been on yet. Nothing special planned except for lots of good food, some nice day hikes and a fair amount of drinking. Looking forward to it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 12:00 AM

I plan on visiting Mount washington, NH aswell as my parents in Montréal.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 12:09 AM

Nothing. Being a millenial who had 121 000$ in student debt and and a tiny house and small loft to pay for after a separation.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 12:18 AM

3-week road trip from Edmonton up to the Yukon, a bit of Alaska, plus the Dempster highway up to inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk.

I’ve spent a couple days up there for work, i’m Really looking forward to a longer time there with the full minivan.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 2:34 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post
3-week road trip from Edmonton up to the Yukon, a bit of Alaska, plus the Dempster highway up to inuvik and Tuktoyaktuk.

I’ve spent a couple days up there for work, i’m Really looking forward to a longer time there with the full minivan.
That’s a trip I’d love to do.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:34 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I'm back in BC for the summer. I plan on bouncing back and forth between Vancouver and Kelowna with a trip to Shuswap Lake, Golden and the Island in the mix.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 5:26 AM

Recently finished month long winter vacation. Was in Edmonton, Jasper, Calgary, Banff, Golden, Invermere, Christina Lake, Sandpoint, Chelan, Seattle, Boulder and San Francisco. Going diving in Indonesia for a week in August, and maybe a few surf weekends up in northern WA between now and then.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:06 PM
A Better Place

More of a shoulder season vacation, but I will be backcountry hunting in the Mackenzie Mountains about 125 km northwest of Fort Simpson, NWT in early September. Was there last year but since the fall was so cold, our float plant couldn't land because the lake was frozen solid! Hoping for some warmer weather this time around.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
I trust you're hikiing up it and not driving up it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:48 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
Are you going to get one of those annoying THIS CAR CLIMBED MT. WASHINGTON bumper stickers?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:20 PM
arf

Camping, camping and more camping. All within the province.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 5:27 PM

NS, PEI and NB next week. Camping on the SK/MB border in a couple of weeks. Radium area in August.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 9:21 PM

I'm off for 4 weeks and will be driving West. We will be camping (tent) and staying some nights at hotels.

We're hoping to make it to the Rockies and maybe a bit beyond. I bought a Parks Canada Discovery Pass and we hope to visit Grasslands in SK and then Waterton Lakes in AB and then up to Jasper, Banff, Yoho, Kootenay, Glacier and Mount Revelstoke National Parks.

The only major city in Canada that I've never been to is Calgary so going there is in the plans. We've been to Edmonton but will probably go there as well.

Question:

What would be our best options for staying overnight in (or near) the rockies if we don't have reservations? Either hotel or camping with a tent. I don't like paying big bucks. (more than $150.00 per night for a hotel) Do any decent hotels/motels exist that aren't very expensive? Any campgrounds where it's not impossible to find a site?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 9:27 PM

I do most of my travel in winter, so summer is mini-vacay time for me. Went to Washington DC. the other week and will head up to Quebec City for a couple of days at some point. May also head down to Stratford to catch a few plays.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I'm off for 4 weeks and will be driving West. We will be camping (tent) and staying some nights at hotels.

We're hoping to make it to the Rockies and maybe a bit beyond. I bought a Parks Canada Discovery Pass and we hope to visit Grasslands in SK and then Waterton Lakes in AB and then up to Jasper, Banff, Yoho, Kootenay, Glacier and Mount Revelstoke National Parks.

The only major city in Canada that I've never been to is Calgary so going there is in the plans. We've been to Edmonton but will probably go there as well.

Question:

What would be our best options for staying overnight in (or near) the rockies if we don't have reservations? Either hotel or camping with a tent. I don't like paying big bucks. (more than $150.00 per night for a hotel) Do any decent hotels/motels exist that aren't very expensive? Any campgrounds where it's not impossible to find a site?
I would check Air BnB or VRBO for condo rentals...

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Are you going to get one of those annoying THIS CAR CLIMBED MT. WASHINGTON bumper stickers?
NO, not my kind lol I hate tourist trap stuffs lol

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I trust you're hikiing up it and not driving up it.
Of course,

Not.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 10:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

At the end of August, approximately 50 of us will be heading here...

Edinburgh by Uwe B., on Flickr

Specifically, here...

Craigmillar Castle by Sean Munson, on Flickr

For this...

Jeddy1989 and his man are getting married. And I'm his groomsman. And one of my best buddies J. is a groomsmaid for his man. It's going to be an awesome trip. Bachelor party is in Dublin. Then they head to the Canary Islands for their honeymoon and J. and I are going to take the ferry back to Ireland and visit some relatives.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 10:34 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post

Question:

At any of the popular BC Provincial campgrounds it'll be almost impossible to get a site at this point. Which is too bad because the BC Provincial parks are fantastic. But if you have some dates in mind I'd still check www.discovercapming.ca to see if there are any sites available for the time you'll be through. A lot of the BC campgrounds have first come first served sites, but you need to get there pretty early to get one.

You'll have better luck at private campgrounds, I would just search for campgrounds in the areas you want to go to. Also you should be able to find hotel accommodation in Revelstoke or Golden without too much trouble. Near Jasper, maybe Hinton ? Not a great place to stay though.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 12:21 AM

Winnipeg's the biggest city in Canada I haven't been to so I'm trying to get out there in August. Think I'm going to take about 10 days and do Winnipeg -> Minneapolis -> Chicago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada