HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 4:55 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
My impression, based on current ridership is that no new bus routes, and, certainly no shuttles, etc., are needed.

Ironically, the extremely rich CC is in a horrible place to put in much more than a few dedicated buses.

My thought on steel rail: maybe a 'cute' orphan trolley loop with heritage cars that serves no commuter need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I think this is accurate.
I'm not so sure. Rich people living in mansions are not the only people in Cherry Creek. I see 5 basic demographics:

Code:
DEMOGRAPHIC 			TRANSIT RIDERSHIP GROWTH POTENTIAL

1. Rich mansion dwellers	Virtually none.

2. Retail workers		Probably most of current transit ridership. 
				Unlikely to support more than basic buses.

3. Shoppers			Limited but non-zero potential. Urbanites 
				would use better transit from downtown, but
				suburbanites will always drive.

4. Apartment dwellers		Potentially every bit as high as downtown 
				apartment dwellers

5. Office workers		Potentially almost as high as downtown 
				office workers
I agree there's little to zero growth potential in demographics 1 or 2, and limited growth potential in demographic 3. But demographics 4 and 5 are potentially huge. If Cherry Creek continues to grow into a 2nd urban downtown, those are the demographics that better transit can and absolutely should serve.

Bunt is fond of saying that downtown is a playground for the rich. So how is Cherry Creek any different? The answer is it's different because it's smaller; there are fewer office workers and fewer apartment dwellers. But Cherry Creek is growing rapidly. Eventually there will be an urban critical mass there. We shouldn't ignore it because the small number of people who live in Country Club mansions are wealthy.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 5:02 PM
ColoRADo

Historically, it's not really Cherry Creek that has been the barrier to transit improvements. It has been the Country Club neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 9:29 PM

In case you didn't know 1st Bank at 1st and Steele is steel frame

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 9:51 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post
In case you didn't know 1st Bank at 1st and Steele is steel frame

EDIT: Maybe that was TOO much emotion.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Last edited by RyanD; Aug 28, 2014 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 3:34 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

You know... For science!

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Last edited by RyanD; Sep 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 10:44 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Aww, I'm science now.

That really is impressive, all those projects really are adding up, damn.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 12:52 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Yes. You are science now! See, this is why I'm YAY CHERRY CREEK because I don't think any of us would have expected over 1k units and a quarter million square feet of office space to go in there at once. It's being a little awesome badass neighborhood and it makes me proud.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Yes. You are science now! See, this is why I'm YAY CHERRY CREEK because I don't think any of us would have expected over 1k units and a quarter million square feet of office space to go in there at once. It's being a little awesome badass neighborhood and it makes me proud.
I'm not sure as to how the new Denver zoning stuff is going to play out exactly at CC, but it would be fantastic to see at least one or two buildings eventually go up that are maybe 20 or more stories there within this immediate area, at least to break up the skyline a bit there.

Does it seem that everything from now on to be built in Denver, other than the DT area, will be limited to some 12 stories, if even that? Is it time to say goodbye to the future of higher story buildings (such as those around the Cheesman Park or Washington Park area) that are 20+ stories in Denver, other than within the DT area, or maybe even the Denver Tech area? (Country Club Towers, if actually built, is nearby CC and would be an exception at 30 stories in height since zoning was already in agreement before the current Denver zoning laws). CC is one area that could probably support higher structures, but with the new zoning rules....? And then of course, there's always going to be the NIMBY's, and with CC and area, those there are probably extremely well off and mostly influential and connected.

Although, maybe as referred to upthread here, the CC Mall space might be where something more than 12 stories could be built and able to survive NIMBY attack.... maybe? I read somewhere not too long ago that in the Denver area, the Cherry Creek Shopping Center is where tourists spend the most money - or something to that effect. Since the CC Shopping Center has all of the upscale retail in the metro Denver area (as such retail is usually in the DT area in most other cities), so it seems that the $$$$$ are there for all sorts of possibilities.

And just to add..... CC is doing a great job at development and keeping the area moving and being followed.

Oh well......

Last edited by denconyny; Sep 5, 2014 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 2:54 AM

One crane down at 1st and Steele and then 1 new crane up at 1st and Steele. I guessed right that the crane wouldn't go up until the two came down for its neighbor.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 8:09 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

^ Nice call! I'll have to check it out tonight!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 10:09 PM

Forget where I saw it, but an article mentioned two 30 story towers may go up near Cherry Creek! Anyone else hear about this???

Actually, here is the link:
http://www.9news.com/story/money/per...wers/15386975/

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandSailor View Post
Forget where I saw it, but an article mentioned two 30 story towers may go up near Cherry Creek! Anyone else hear about this???

Actually, here is the link:
http://www.9news.com/story/money/per...wers/15386975/
Yep it's been mentioned a few times:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...211697&page=51

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=212759

http://www.denver-cityscape.com/

Good project although it's a little weird to see that height outside of DT.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 10:35 PM

My bad! I do like this project though!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 8:53 PM

Ok looks like I lied from the angle I saw. The crane is still up at 1st and Steele and it looks like the other one is about to go up since the crane truck is in the pit.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 4:18 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 6:12 AM

When did you take that pic? I drove by today and it seems they are two floors higher already.

Also the other 1st and Steele has to be waiting for the other crane to come down. That foundation has been sitting for weeks now.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 7:27 AM
Aspiring Amateur

So is it only a matter of time until they tear the mall down? It seems like increasingly junkier stores are moving into the mall while the higher end retail is moving elsewhere in the area or packing up shop altogether.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 11:50 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

That's not a trend I have seen at all. Examples, or psf sale figures? Everything I have heard and seen would indicate that mall will be there for many many years to come.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 2:50 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCO View Post
So is it only a matter of time until they tear the mall down? It seems like increasingly junkier stores are moving into the mall while the higher end retail is moving elsewhere in the area or packing up shop altogether.
That doesn't seem to be playing out. The mall still holds a good number of the high-end retail and has seems to be aggressive in securing additional tenants such as Restoration Hardware's flagship store. I do envision the mall taking further attempts to embrace the street and push out for more street-facing shops along 1st and Steele. A good indicator will be what ends up happening with the Safeway/RiteAid parcel in relation to the mall.

Cherry Creek North will be an extension of the shopping district with more and more high-end retail and a continued exodus of the independent stores that cannot provide the same $/sf to meet the rising lease rates in the district.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 8:22 PM

The mall does need a makeover, it's pretty dated in there even with the high end stores. I think the area between Clayton & University, and Cherry Creek Dr & 1st Ave where the Bed Bath & Beyond and a few other stores and restaurants are located will eventually be redeveloped. I could see it looking more like CCN with a street grid and mixed retail and residential. The mall isn't going anywhere.

I'm hearing the demolition of the old post office at 245 Columbine will begin by the end of the month. That's good news since hopefully that means we start seeing the new 7 story boutique hotel proposed for that site begin to rise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West