HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 6:53 AM

Excellent for Kamloops, the color scheme matches the city perfectly.

About time the downtown core built a couple new high rises.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 4:47 PM

I didn't expect 2 towers, very cool. I'm think I'm more of a fan of the finished site. Looks like it will be a pretty nice park once complete. I hope the city is in favour of selling off half of Nicola street. I think it would really benefit the neighbourhood.

Something about the above render is off to me. Looks like a 2D image of the towers on a 3D render. Found this one that looks better.

Image Credit: Keystone Architecture / Kelson Group
Kelson, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 5:19 PM
Peddling to progress

Hey everyone,

My wife and I are moving to Kamloops from Saskatoon at the end of October. We are excited for the mountains and everything your beautiful city has to offer!

My question is about neighbourhoods. We are planning to rent an apartment and have actually been approved for a unit in Petersen Landing on Summit Drive. I've heard upper Sahali and Aberdeen can be a bit chilly. I am also concerned about noise from the TC-1. The unit is south facing so that should help with warmth/light/noise.

What are your thoughts? Any advice would be helpful.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 10:28 AM

It's been more than a decade since I lived in Kamloops but I used to be in the southern part of the Lower Sahali on Arrowstone Dr. by the strip malls and did not find the TC-1 noisy at all, nor the area particularly chillier than the rest of Kamloops. Quiet, clean and comfortable neighborhood, and very safe. I imagine Upper Sahali would be similar.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 6:29 PM

I don't think you'll have any issues with noise, especially on the South side of that building. The highway wraps around a knoll and then goes down a hill. Where your building is you really can't see it other than at the overpass.

You're really not all that high in elevation either. Top of Aberdeen is noticeably colder, but the bottom of upper sahali (where you are) won't be.

That location is great too since they put in the Peterson creek trail that starts a block from your place and takes you right into downtown, by-passing any traffic.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 9:04 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post
That location is great too since they put in the Peterson creek trail that starts a block from your place and takes you right into downtown, by-passing any traffic.
That's great news! I'm hoping to work for an accounting firm in the city so a quick bike route downtown would be prime!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 10:49 PM

The concept for the North Shore plan was released today. The focus was on 2 key areas:

The North Shore town centre commercial area, which city staff said would be where its planning intervenes the most and will be the “centre of life for the North Shore,” is designed to have trees lining the roads and park spaces created to set it apart from surrounding areas.

Four larger towers will anchor the area, set on specific corners with sight lines in mind to create an iconic look and not overshadow nearby schoolyards and open spaces.
The area also includes a re-imagined Northills Centre mall that is an open air retail space.
NS , on Flickr

Farthest south, is the Riverfront District, which includes river-facing residential development, a more robust Rivers Trail, a boardwalk with shops and restaurants and a pier built upon the old bridge pilings reaching out into the river.

The light industrial area on the north side of Tranquille Road would be refreshed as an industrial arts district of makerspaces, with a central courtyard area and an urban farm.

NS , on Flickr

This plan is anticipated over many years to come together. Nice to see the City embracing the waterfront. Will be cool to see what comes first with this news.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2020, 1:25 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
The light industrial area on the north side of Tranquille Road would be refreshed as an industrial arts district of makerspaces, with a central courtyard area and an urban farm.
Right after work I stopped in at the ONLY makerspace the city has and juggled a few people's minds with this one.
None of us can conclude where the hell they are thinking this city can sustain multiple makerspaces or equivalent workspaces when we already fit in a 130 year old building on West Victoria without bumping into eachother.
The project is ambitious....but it's the North Shore.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 5:03 PM

I really like these new plans for the North Shore and how them better use the water front. I imagine the south end will be the first set of projects to get moving. Much of the RV/Auto shop can find better locations out on the Halston, I guess.

I imagine the North End will be more tricky. As always parking will be the main sticking point and from the drawing the wouldn't be a lot of it. Seems like the whole thing is still missing a institution/employer to anchor it. Downtown has RIH, BCLC, Sandman/Riverside, City Hall and so on. What will draw people in to the north Shore on a Daily/week basis.

On another note, I think the Tranquille Farm area will see some big announcements soon. There is a big sign up and it seems to be these guy's working on it: https://ekistics.com/project-news-tr...n-kamloops-bc/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 10:47 PM

I would love to see that Tranquille project get off the ground. We've always said that if it goes we'd move out there in a second.

The north shore could use a large anchor store as a draw. Something Kamloops doesn't have already would probably do well there.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 9:51 PM

I think RIH is topped out. Pretty sure the large platform is the helicopter pad.

RIH, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 8:10 PM

The building across the street (underneath the crane), are those ripped canopies on the top floor?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 4:34 PM

Looks like it.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 6:14 PM

You were right Kamloops.Dane the Tranquille project is back.
https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/new...gun-1.24255754

Quote:
A map of the proposal dated December of this year shows an area with shops, a school, waterfront inn, market garden, orchards, winery and public waterfront park.

The ALC exclusion specifically sought is an increase of an existing conditional agricultural land exclusion by 1.13 hectares, to 50.91 hectares from 49.78 hectares.

If approved, the city said more compact clustered development “pods” would be developed, instead of linear development allowed in current boundaries.
The applicant believes the boundary adjustments will promote local agriculture, public lake access and community growth.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2020, 11:32 PM

Found out what they're proposing. Seems to be more thought out than last time it came through.

Tranq, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 8:44 PM

While I'm skeptical of this project. A billion dollars over 15 years would be insane. This would create an entirely new suburb within city limits. Very ambitious project, but with little to no land left in the city to develop for single family lots, I really hope to see this become a reality.

https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/new...ops-1.24259590

Tranq, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 10:01 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
While I'm skeptical of this project. A billion dollars over 15 years would be insane. This would create an entirely new suburb within city limits. Very ambitious project, but with little to no land left in the city to develop for single family lots, I really hope to see this become a reality.

https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/new...ops-1.24259590

Tranq, on Flickr
site is up >> https://tranquille.ca/

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 7:25 AM
SkyTrain Nut

It's a shame to see the majority of the site has to be deconstructed even though many of the older buildings are rather nice but the last 20 years have not at all been nice to them.

Prior to my last visit last March I was last there in 2001. At that time many of the structures were still locked, chained and alarmed with virtually no vandalism. The place had only stopped operating something like 15 years before that so it wasn't too bad given there was active security from the gatehouse and there was the proposal to reactivate the laundry facility for Interior Health. I was part of a tour which went through almost all of the buildings, plus the tunnels. The only real decay was a collapsed roof in the boiler house. The stacks came down a few years later.

Fast forward 18 years and it's night and day. Most of the buildings are no longer secure with broken windows, graffitti and heavy vandalism throughout the facility. A friend who among other jobs did a seasonal gig as security at the gatehouse said that in the early 10's people going through the buildings was a nightly occurrence to the point it wasn't entirely worth chasing after them unless they were loading up a trailer with metal. Just Urbexers and the likes. By the time you were over at the childrens health building they would already be across the field and back to their cars parked by the creek. All of the outbuildings have been stripped of their wiring and copper plus the weather being allowed in has caused significant water damage, on top of roofs that have not seen maintenance in decades.

There was also a time when you could drive past the treatment plant and onto the beach as far west as the rail tracks but that road has long since been blocked with cement barriers. Too many people driving out and getting their cars stuck on the flats.

Last edited by MIPS; Jan 7, 2021 at 7:36 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 10:34 PM

Crane coming down today at RIH

R, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 6:46 PM

Update of The Hive. Looks like it's almost at grade.

IPI - December 2020 , on Flickr

H, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia