HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 9:39 PM

A new image of the tower with the spire.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 1:19 AM

As a skyscraper geek I love lots of big towers and all but I just have to say New York is out of control, there’s no classic signature skyline, after 2010 it looks like grass growing all over the place and all these mediocre designs are getting worse. But still I say build it! The bigger the better

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 6:35 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXFrank View Post
As a skyscraper geek I love lots of big towers and all but I just have to say New York is out of control, there’s no classic signature skyline, after 2010 it looks like grass growing all over the place and all these mediocre designs are getting worse. But still I say build it! The bigger the better
Hmmm, depends on what you mean by signature skyline. If you mean a fixed and neat skyline with one or two defining towers, then no, New York doesn't have that type of skyline, nor should it. There are skylines popping up in Queens, Brooklyn, Jersey City, and other areas outside of Manhattan. The Manhattan skyline itself is growing, just as it expanded beyond lower Manhattan. And that's the way it should always be. When the skyline is done, the city is dead. The city must always adapt - that's how it manages to survive and keep it's greatness when so many other places don't. Now, people can argue about those changes, and a lot of people like to. But that's New York. It doesn't just sit still.

Now, if you mean we aren't seeing many of the classic NY elements in the skyline, such as spires, crowns, pyramids - things that make a skyline intresting - I agree. But we are long away from the skyline of the 90's that was a boring plateau of 700 boxes. We are closer now to the classic NY skyline than many people think, even if Tower Fifth doesn't necessarily fit the classic mold. But with towers like 53w53, 111w57, Vanderbilt, and even upcoming towers like 9 Dekalb, 45 Broad, it could be argued that we're in the midst of our very own glory days of skyscraper building.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...f-history.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pistol...42297/sizes/l/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 3:03 PM
New Yorker for life

They've never given us the full view of the tower, and we haven't had a direct look at the "legs" this building would stand on. But beyond Citicorp, here's another example of how something like that could play out...this old Federal Reserve proposal from the 70's.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 3:17 PM

early descriptions described it as a tapering. So maybe something like this

https://www.archdaily.com/769255/dro...ext_project=no

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 4:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
early descriptions described it as a tapering.

It did, though I took that to mean there would be a base of some kind, with the auditorium, shops, etc. But we'll have to see renderings to be sure.

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/real-e...-citys-tallest

Quote:
The tower, which would rise midblock between East 51st and East 52nd streets, features unusual elements, including a tapered, stiltlike midsection that will prop up the height of the floors above.

The highest floors will feature a multilevel observatory. According to several people who have seen Macklowe's proposal, he has envisioned a clear, plastic or glass-enclosed slide that would protrude from the building's exterior, giving riders the vertiginous sensation of soaring high above the city.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/18/n...raper-nyc.html

Quote:
The proposed building will require billions of dollars to build and includes an expensive and energy-efficient facade rarely seen in the United States, a public concourse, plush tenant amenities — a lap pool, yoga room and multilevel running track — and the city’s tallest observatory, where visitors would be able to dive down a transparent, 60-foot corkscrew slide.

Quote:
The office tower itself, however, would step back from St. Patrick’s, rising on 52nd Street atop two stems or stilts, near 400 feet above the sidewalks. The 96-story tower is designed as a sleek shaft until it reaches the top, where a two-level slab juts out from the northern and southern sides of the building, before the tower resumes its ascent.

The proposed building would cantilever about 100 feet over the Look Building and 300 feet above an adjoining landmark, the John Peirce house, which will almost certainly spark criticism from preservationists.

Those "legs" look a little shiny from this rendering...

You can see an auditorium above the escalators in this rendering....

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 6:51 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXFrank View Post
Agreed

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 8:59 PM

From my 3d model of New York City:

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 9:11 PM

^Excellent work!

I was hoping that Tower Fifth would look less obscene when it's surrounded by all those other 1300/1400 footers, since they might provide distractions. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 11:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
From my 3d model of New York City:

Creating a kind of skyline plateau. We need something higher to be built if it ends this way. But still great. Poor 53w53 never had a chance.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 11:28 PM

they're gonna need to upzone times square again lol

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 11:03 PM

I think that for Tower Fifth they were inspired by one of the projects of J.L. Hudson tower of Detroit.

A rendering of the J.L. Hudson site redevelopment in Detroit, Michigan. SHoP Architects

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 2:06 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ well i’ll be daymd, how bout that? you are right — nice find.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 1:02 PM

^^ Coincidentally, the design of 270 Park Ave now bears a striking resemblance to the latest plans for Hudson Block in Detroit.

Source: Hudson's Site

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 8:30 PM

Yeah when it all shakes out with these towers hopefully there's a little variation in height, not as noticeably plateaud. Good problem to have though.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 9:54 PM
BANNED

I suspect (and hope) that this crazy design is never built. Something very lavish will rise here. I'd prefer something like this.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 4:13 PM

I think that tower fifth should be a 1800ft tower, someone agree with me , the midtown now needs a signature tower, a tower to exceed 2200ft height !!!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I suspect (and hope) that this crazy design is never built. Something very lavish will rise here. I'd prefer something like this.

It would be awesome if a 400 Meter version of this was built

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
I think that tower fifth should be a 1800ft tower, someone agree with me , the midtown now needs a signature tower, a tower to exceed 2200ft height !!!
To date we don't know what evolution the fifth tower will take both in height and in appearance.

A tower to exceed 2200ft height ... I don't think it's feasible for now. But I say, let's start with a 2,000ft tower which wouldn't be bad.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 12:17 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFTP_tEi...=1axnne3lk3fhl
Absolutely it s look taller than borj khalifa , i find this proposal in Instagram .
It shows that the height is twice than the empire state building tip.

Last edited by faridnyc; Sep 19, 2020 at 12:33 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals