HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur View Post
From a WestJet Q400 en route to Edmonton shortly after takeoff yesterday morning, I've noticed that work has begun on the Highway 43X bypass around the north side of Grande Prairie. At least the digging out the path is. Wait til spring and then the real work will begin on the paving.

people were complaining about all the people dying on the new roundabout for 43X and 43 on the facebook group for highway 43. they aren't that complicated

Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 6:02 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

A roundabout that should have been an interchange...

At least it’s better than a traffic-light intersection.

On another note, does anyone think Highway 2 between Peace River and Grande Prairie should be renumbered? Having 2 go north then south again is confusing.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 6:55 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post

On another note, does anyone think Highway 2 between Peace River and Grande Prairie should be renumbered? Having 2 go north then south again is confusing.
On the first part, I do agree that interchange should've been built instead of a traffic circle at 116 St. Trouble is, not everybody, esp. those up north of Edmonton are that familiar with traffic circles like they should be. Also, when that bypass gets completed, there'll be a lot more in the way of large vehicles such as tractor trailers going on that bypass. I can't imagine driving through roundabouts would be terribly easy in such large vehicles. The current NW bypass, originally built during the late 1960s, isn't really functioning as a true bypass anymore. This is especially due to GP's growth over the last few decades, and also a number of traffic lights.

As for Highway 2, I'm not sure renumbering would be a good idea, IMHO. Why? It's partly for historical reasons. Hwy 2 was the first paved highway built between Edmonton and the Peace Country/GP. The stretch of Hwy 43 between Whitecourt and Valleyview and probably also GP wasn't even paved until the early 1950s.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 7:05 PM

Roundabouts are great, and anyone that complains about them needs to stop driving as they clearly are not competent enough to be on the road. Especially considering that all the roundabouts in Canada are extremely user friendly, being well built, signed and marked.

But that said, the roundabout on 43X should not be there. It will likely function fine, but it makes it more difficult to upgrade in the future. Maybe the volumes don't justify an interchange right away, but it would be better to put in a signalized intersection that can be upgraded to an interchange with minimal disruption as funds permit.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 7:09 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Roundabouts are great, and anyone that complains about them needs to stop driving as they clearly are not competent enough to be on the road. Especially considering that all the roundabouts in Canada are extremely user friendly, being well built, signed and marked.

But that said, the roundabout on 43X should not be there. It will likely function fine, but it makes it more difficult to upgrade in the future. Maybe the volumes don't justify an interchange right away, but it would be better to put in a signalized intersection that can be upgraded to an interchange with minimal disruption as funds permit.
It’ll be harder but probably not by much. England has a lot of interchanges with a massive roundabout right under the overpass.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 9:34 PM

Yeah, but if they put an interchange in it almost certainly will be a standard (for here) design like a diamond or parclo with the secondary road on an overpass, which will mean tearing up the roundabout. The fact they put in a roundabout indicates to me that they do not anticipate upgrading it for a long time, otherwise they would have put in a cheaper temporary design.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 10:40 PM

Highway 44 at 633 is a roundabout, plenty of heavy truck traffic since the major gravel pits are in the area. Plus a lot of trucks by passing highway 2. The roundabout works great . I just wished they would hsve done roundabouts on the whole highway 44 corridor.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 8:27 AM

Quote:

I agree. Yes, there is historical significance to Hwy 2 between Edmonton & Grande Prairie, but that hasn't stopped other highways from being renumbered for better cohesion. For example, prior to 1941, all of present-day Hwy 2 (including Hwy 43 west of Grande Prairie) was numbered as Hwy 1 while the present-day TCH was Hwy 2.

Maybe that should be a larger, comprehensive renumbering project:

1. The North-South Trade Corridor becomes Hwy 2
  • Hwy 4 becomes Hwy 2
  • Hwy 3 signed as Hwy 2/3 between Lethbridge and Fort Macleod
  • Hwy 2 stays the same between Fort Macleod and Edmonton
  • Hwy 16 signed as Hwy 2/16 between Edmonton and Manley Corner
  • Hwy 43 becomes Hwy 2

2. Bypassed sections of Hwy 2 are renumbered
  • Hwy 2 south of Fort Macleod can become Hwy 89 (extension of US 89) or Hwy 4
  • Hwy 2 between Edmonton and Grimshaw could become Hwy 35 (Hwy 35 continues to the NWT)
  • Hwy 2 between Grande Prairie and Grimshaw could become Hwy 40 (Hwy 40 continues south to Grande Cache)

3. Beyond Alberta
At risk of thinking really big, this project move beyond Alberta's borders and become a type of Yellowhead 2.0, where other provinces renumber their highways and the route becomes part of Trans-Canada Hwy.
  • BC 2 remains unchanged but is signed as TCH 2
  • BC 97 (Alaska Hwy) between Dawson Creek and the Yukon could become TCH 2
  • YK 1 (Alaska Hwy) becomes TCH 2 (YK 2 could become YK 1)
  • coincidentally, the Alaska Hwy becomes AK-2 when it enters Alaska

The chances of any of it happening is minute, but why not dream big??

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 9:56 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Hwy 2 and Hwy 44 should be reversed between Clyde corner and Hondo. #2 should run through Westlock and 44 up to Athabasca.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 9:58 PM
Suburban dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
^ FULL OPEN! Gaetz Ave bridge was the last major milestone. Opened yesterday. So it's all open to traffic but full completion is next spring.
Went though here at Christmas and it's a stretch to claim this is completed. Yeah the traffic movements are final but the speed limit is still 80 for the entire 9km stretch and final grading around the road is not completed. It is still very much a construction zone.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Went though here at Christmas and it's a stretch to claim this is completed. Yeah the traffic movements are final but the speed limit is still 80 for the entire 9km stretch and final grading around the road is not completed. It is still very much a construction zone.
Yah, there is still a lot that needs to be done.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Just saw on the projects facebook page that the plan is to keep the 80 speed limit until the spring. Also, no work can happen during the upcoming winter games apparently.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 3:16 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...90293&page=371 #7404
Urgent discussions, people.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Surely this is the nail in the coffin for bypassing Medicine Hat!

Oh...wait...this has nothing to do with construction.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2019, 6:41 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Yea I have the habit of turning highway construction threads into general highways news. Whoops.

Plus I’ve only mentioned M-H Bypass at most 4 times.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:45 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...to-105-million

It's probably common knowledge by this point, but in case anyone doesn't know, Alberta's planning to twin Highway 60 between Highway 16A and the Yellowhead Highway.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 3:57 AM

That's about a mile of twinning, and west of Edmonton, not east as the article says. $100 million doesn't buy much!

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
That's about a mile of twinning, and west of Edmonton, not east as the article says. $100 million doesn't buy much!
They will still have the lights at south Acheson. But getting past the tracks is key.

I would like to see adding a 3rd lane from Spruce Grove or Stoney on the Yellowhead.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 3:25 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

This one isn't about highway construction at all, but definitely worth a read:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ason-1.5028016

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 7:17 PM
Suburban dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
Just saw on the projects facebook page that the plan is to keep the 80 speed limit until the spring. Also, no work can happen during the upcoming winter games apparently.
Drove this stretch again over the Family day weekend and the speed limits were set at 110. Not sure if this is due to the new Alberta laws or if it is permanent. Either way it was good to see. Also pleasantly surprised to see the road appears to be three lanes until the river crossing just south of 67th Street.

Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia