HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

111 West 57th Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagolover88 View Post
Thats weird how this is the 2nd highest residential towers in the western hemisphere but there are a few buildings in New York and Chicago that have higher residences.
The second *tallest* residential building in the world by structural height, not the second *highest* occupied floor.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 2:40 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 7:38 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
^^^ that first picture somehow makes it look like CPT is in front of 111.. i had to rub my eyes to make sure i wasnt seeing things.. thats just how skinny this buiilding is i guess

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 2:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
^^^ that first picture somehow makes it look like CPT is in front of 111.. i had to rub my eyes to make sure i wasnt seeing things.. thats just how skinny this buiilding is i guess
Considering the height difference, it just makes Steinway appear a little taller than it really is.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 3:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 6:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Not that anybody should be out, but if you are, stay away from Steinway. Very windy out, and I don't think they've repaired it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKurdpglPIc/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 4:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 4:21 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 10:47 PM

Like watching Days of our Lives...

In December 2020, JDS sued HVAC contractor Copper II, and also sued the contractor's insurer Talisman Casualty for over $11.7 million. In its lawsuit, the developers claimed that Copper II had delayed its installation of the HVAC system, leading them to warn the contractor in November 2018. JDS also claimed that that, due to improper installation of the HVAC system, ten stories sustained water damage during July 2019.[141]

copied and pasted from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/111_West_57th_Street

See section labeled 'other lawsuits'...

Would this be what is possibly contributing to what seems to be taking so long? Has Stefano come back from the grave to help drag this story plot line out a bit more? Will Marlena come to our rescue?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 3:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 11:49 AM

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:36 PM
Ex Houstonian

Ive always wondered how this building would handle an airplane running into it by accident. Even a Cessna hitting the top would do some serious damage. Like the 2006 Bellaire Apartments. A small airplane strike would halfway up it seems would slice the building right in two.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Like the 2006 Bellaire Apartments.
Or the Empire State Building in 1945.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 10:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The PSI of the structure is quite strong. And I believe even stronger for 432 Park. Short of an Airbus or 737/747... would take quite a lot to bring this down. Damage...sure. A rich fella having his last momements as he sees the plane, and promptly enjoys his last moments with his dominatrix... that's about it.

Would take a lot to slice it like a chef slices celery.

This structure on a side note looks like it would be a nightmare if the fire suppression failed on the top 10 floors and the top 10 floors are on fire. Helicopter maybe?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 2:58 AM

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Something Something dominatrix...
Tell me more.

I would learn to rappel and keep a full kit near the bathrooms with the small lot line windows. Cut through the glass with a tool and rappel down safe from fire. There's almost no windows in the shear walls.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 3:03 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Do they have this airplane crash in mind??? It seems like they don’t think about it when they built the twin towers tho...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post
Do they have this airplane crash in mind??? It seems like they don’t think about it when they built the twin towers tho...
Planes crash into 1 story buildings far more often than skyscrapers.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 5:27 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Oh wow. That is so bad...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post
They did think about with the WTC. it was designed to withstand the crash and resulting fires of a Boeing 707. The planes that where flown in to the bindings where 767's about 2x the size. An rather unsettling there was a thread on airlines .net in 2000 (back when airlines .net was full of industry professionals) talking about what if a 767 crashed in to one of the towers the consensus what that it wold be quote catastrophic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive