HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 4:12 AM
Closed account

Art-Theatre-Music-Dance-Lit

www.jamesstreetnorth.ca

I just returned from the monthly art crawl on James and it was incredible.
It gets better every time.
I bought a couple great books from Under the Moon - one of them from 1899.
The new History and Heritage gallery at Cannon and James is amazing. The current exhibit is on the history of James North. Check it out this month.

This thread can be for all Hamilton arts and culture related events and new developments.
It can also be used as a kind of announcement board for folks to post upcoming shows. Hamilton is loaded with culture. Let's light up this forum with it.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 4:32 PM
Hammer'd

Damnit. I forgot about it last night.

I need to get over to history-heritage at some point still.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 12:19 PM
Closed account

good story from today:

Arts study paints a hopeful picture

City's creative side poised to blossom
January 15, 2008
Wade Hemsworth
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jan 15, 2008)
Hamilton's creative industries are ready to grow quickly and to take the city with them as they blossom, says a new report.

The privately commissioned study, which goes to the city's planning and economic development committee today, provides a statistical snapshot of Hamilton's so-called creative industries.

The Phase 1 report of the Hamilton Creative City Initiative shows that Hamilton's privately owned creative industries -- including film, print, broadcasting, festivals, arts education, recording, advertising, photography, architecture, performing and visual arts -- account for less than 4 per cent of the total workforce, with employees working mainly in small organizations.

But with some sales and marketing help, it says, many of those organizations could grow quickly.

"If the economic development department is looking for something quick and easy to deliver on, this is it," said Jeremy Freiburger, whose Imperial Cotton Centre for the Arts on Sherman Avenue North commissioned the $25,000 study.

He says the report finally puts some hard figures to what has long only been described anecdotally, and gives the broader creative community a solid research foundation to build on.

"It's not a fully developed economy yet," he said.

Art has brought not only beauty but promise to Hamilton's core, said downtown city Councillor Bob Bratina.

"Art can provide real value to the city.

"I would say it's integral to many of our aspirations, to what we want to be."

Freiburger said creative organizations play an early role in the economic growth of communities, and their success tends to be followed by the success of other sectors.

The report was prepared by the Centre for Community Study, a nonprofit research organization in Hamilton. The centre analyzed survey responses from 90 creativity-based businesses last spring and summer.

Here's a quick look at the findings of the report:

* Creative organizations in Hamilton are clustered primarily in three areas: downtown, the southwest corner of the lower city and Dundas.

* Half the organizations taking part reported annual revenue of less than $50,000. Only 10 per cent reported bringing in more than $2 million.

* The customers of Hamilton's creative businesses are primarily local, with 59 per cent coming from the city itself, and nearly 20 per cent coming from elsewhere in the greater Golden Horseshoe.

* Only one in five people who work for creative organizations is employed full time, while two in five are volunteers.

* Four out of five employees of creative organizations in Hamilton also live in the city.

* Only 9 per cent of respondents' revenue comes from grants.

* Hamilton's creative organizations are highly interconnected.

The next stages of the Creative City Initiative are to study workers in the creative sector and consumers of the services and goods they create.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 7:14 PM
Closed account

very sad news....one of my favourite artists:

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/313785

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 5:27 PM
Closed account

cool stuff...another building housing artists is up and running on Cumberland:

http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyre...01PED08078.pdf

that's a killer building. Used to house a carpet store or something.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 5:48 PM

Yeah, I walk by it everyday on the way to the park. There used to be an office that sold imported and showcased area rugs. Went in there once to see what they had. Yep, nothing but area rugs. I think there was a family or two living in it at one time, in one of the areas that didn't have broken windows.

This is welcome news that this building is being used for the arts... although you wouldn't know it to look at it. Lots of broken windows still, plywood, graphitti, etc.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 6:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
cool stuff...another building housing artists is up and running on Cumberland:

http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyre...01PED08078.pdf

that's a killer building. Used to house a carpet store or something.
That building has been used for EVERYthing haha
Convenience Store, Area Rug Shop, I think they even used it for an art studio at one point back in the day.
I used to go to grade school right down the street YEARS ago and always admired the place.
Too bad it's right beside train tracks or they'd be perfect lofts!

Let's hope the artists here get together with Notre-Dame school just down the street to beautify this neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 3:47 AM
It's Hammer Time

Well spending some time at Quebec City I noticed they have an excellent Art Market, something I think can we can do for James St North.

They allow vendors to build their own hut space and the city supplies them with electricity, part of the permit system set up for artist.

Empty space - notice the electric post?

Guess where this market is located right next to? An Anglican Church - Cathedral of the Holy Trinity haha sounds familiar?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 3:53 AM
It's Hammer Time

Here's a satelite map of the market

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...city&encType=1

It's along the north side of the Church next to Ste Anne.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 2:01 PM
Closed account

You, me and a lot of momentum

'The times may be good or bad for the arts, but the arts are always good for the times'
July 09, 2008
Jeff Mahoney
The Hamilton Spectator
(Jul 9, 2008)
You often hear it said in the arts that the times are bad, to the point where it seems the times are always bad for the arts. I heard that said in Hamilton in 1996 when council scrubbed the sesquicentennial public arts project destined for the front of City Hall.

Council didn't like the decision of the jury that the city itself had impanelled. Maybe the art professors who were elected to represent the city's various wards at that time were expecting a big mural in bright detergent box colours. Maybe a pastoral, with morning mists, skipping deer, and a split rail fence, Stelco tower in the distance.

It's 12 years later, and now some are saying these are good times for the arts in Hamilton. And they are. With a big but (later).

There is more energy than there has ever been, says Bryce Kanbara, of whom more in a minute. Along James Street North, Locke Street, Dundas, the Pearl Company in the Lansdale neighbourhood, Barton Street, Sherman Street, the Beach strip, Stuart Street, Bay Street (Gallery on the Bay) -- west to east, and in the middle. Don't forget the looming institutional presence of the Art Gallery of Hamilton and the McMaster Museum of Art, with their vast collections.

What you're reading now is the first volley of a new, weekly column on the arts. I'll be writing it in place of my usual second column of the week.

The impetus behind the column is a recognition of the startling growth, vigour and versatility of our current visual arts "scene," and the need to keep readers abreast of it, guide them through it.

In turn, part of the impetus behind that growth is Kanbara, the subject of our first column.

Kanbara is a natural candidate for that distinction. A bridge of continuity with Hamilton's art past (he helped found Hamilton Artists Inc. in the mid '70s), he is also a trailblazer of the new, though it's hard to think of him "blazing."

There's not an ounce of "hurry" in Kanbara, not that you can tell, and yet -- appearances can deceive -- he gets a great deal done.

Serene, laconic, with an agreeably rumpled, mischievous good humour, Kanbara was the first in on James Street North, with his you me gallery.

He has also been a strong political force for arts advocacy and outreach (he has led arts projects for inner city kids) over the years, though no cheerleader. When the arts do something wrong, he is quick to point it out.

Now James North is lined with art spaces. Art is transforming the neighbourhood. And, as mentioned, it's not just James North.

"The momentum seems to be keeping up," says Kanbara, cautiously. "The real change is that there is a critical mass interested in the arts. When they do the art bus and the art crawls, we don't have to worry about lack of attendance.

"But financially none of us is making any money. People think we're making tons, but there aren't really that many galleries, and if a couple go under, the trend starts to reverse, like a house of cards."

That's the next step, Kanbara says. Finding a way to make a living income at the arts, even in good times. It's a little like the Internet -- how to translate the excitement into commercial viability.

"We're (the arts community) not prepared, in a business sense," says Kanbara.

It's a riddle complicated by a paradox. Art is inherently conflicted about its own popularity. It needs a business plan that allows as much for spitting in the eyes of fools as for churning out decor accents for the bourgeoisie.

Yes, it needs to sell, but without selling out, or such is the myth.

In the past year, the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce has become very interested in the downtown arts -- the arts are seen as a key to revival, a la Richard Florida's "creative class." It's a promising liaison, one fraught with challenges, but good ones.

"First," Kanbara says wryly, "they wanted to meet with us at 8 a.m. They thought the arts could benefit from rebranding, a new slogan and a publication that we could all pay $80 a month into.

"It was well-intended but I think they think we're doing things for the same reasons they are. Because we're not successful financially doesn't mean we're failures."

Not that the chamber thinks that, but there's a learning curve for both. They must understand each other's models of operation, a process that's already started.

In the meantime, here's a challenge for the city (I'm whistling in the dark, but I'll put it out there). Restore the sesquicentennial art project. It was only $50,000, but full of symbolism about how we value, or don't, the artists, who have never abandoned downtown.

There are many stories in the local arts that we will try to tell in this column. I wanted to start with a list of the key players (all the Toronto transplants, for instance) and key issues (can just anyone be an artist?) but there'll be time for that.

I would like to leave this first column with a thought that I hope you will take to heart.

The times may be good or bad for the arts, but the arts are always good for the times. They remind us to deal with the past, thrust a mirror against the face of the present, and point a telescope at the future.

Every achievement we've made as a society -- our progressive tolerances, "shifts of paradigm" and "first black candidate" milestones -- was foreseen, scouted out, and absorbed by the arts community long before the slow, careful stage coaches of civic life crawled up to them.

Something to think about. And act upon, next time you're trying to decide between supporting a local gallery or buying some lottery tickets. The arts are always good for us. Are we good for the arts?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2008, 2:21 PM

I love the arts in Hamilton. I've slowly been building my art collection...i have 6 pieces now, all purchased from local artists along James North. It feels good to support this community.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 3:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

Culture Minister to make funding announcements in Hamilton and Burlington

TORONTO, July 16 /CNW/ - Culture Minister Aileen Carroll will announce funding for four art organizations in the area.

Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008

Time: 9:45 a.m. at the Art Gallery of Hamilton
5:00 p.m. at the Royal Botanical Gardens

123 King Street West
Hamilton

Royal Botanical Gardens
680 Plains Road West
Burlington

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 4:44 PM
Closed account

awesome....let's assume AGH and RBG are receiving money.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 10:55 PM

I am hoping one of the four beneficiaries is a group that's involved with tutus and a derelict theatre.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 2:07 AM
Hammer'd

Highly doubtful. I am actually starting to think we're gonna see the Tivoli for sale again within the next year. Rumor is that the owners have lost nearly all steam for their project, and what is worse is that they are not taking the proper precautions to secure and protect it. The roof is having serious issues and theres some bad water damage in the auditorium along the North and West walls.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 2:22 AM
Closed account

big surprise.

on a positive note, some great stuff is happening to James North....you'll hear a bigger announcement in August, so look for it. The street is really coming along.
also, I found out today that the Threshold School of Building will be demolished next month and the new condo building will begin construction shortly thereafter.
A new bar, similar to one you'd find on College St in TO is opening on James, north of Mulberry - it'll be called 'The Brain'.
Anyone on the street I've spoken to about it can't wait...they are excited based on the plans and ideas they've been told by the owner.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 3:20 AM
Hammer'd

Both the condo and "The Brain" sound like they're going to completely transform James North on their own. This district will probably rival Locke St. within 2 years if both of these projects go through.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 10:59 AM
Closed account

IMO it's already better than Locke. I was on Locke yesterday from 9-noon. While waiting for the bus at noon I couldn't believe how dead it was.
Not a soul on the street.
I hope James North evolves in a completely different direction, and I think it will due to the arts, great dining already on the street and the more urban feel to it.
Also, don't forget the Inc's project which should be done by the new year.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 1:07 PM

Do you know what building 'the brain' will be in?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2008, 1:31 PM
Closed account

yea, the skinny one just north of the laundromat on the northwest corner of James and Mulberry. I think it used to be a travel agency. they moved up the street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation