HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 7:01 PM

Just use your iPhone, no need to bring a level, it's got one built in.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 8:04 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Who's going to be the weird one to bring a level with them to check?

Probably best to use one with a laser. All I have are the standard "bubble" carpenter levels.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 8:18 PM

I not sure what you are checking here? This is most likely an optical illusion in a picture taken on an angle. I sure the building is level.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 11:02 PM
Forever forward.

Sorry for causing confusion... I see how my edits implied that the floors aren't level. What I was referring to is the angle of the northern elevation of the podium, not the slab.

It's hard to see in pictures, and evidently hard to describe, but in person you notice that the northern elevation is at a wonk compared to the buildings just to the east. It's like that wall has been rotated a few degrees from the angle that the other buildings are built on.

I hope that this drawing below is a little clearer about what I mean. You can see that the red line in this image showcases the angle that the northern facades of the existing buildings follow, and the blue represents Platinum's podium. The facade has been built askew from the angle of the existing buildings.

Obviously this drawing isn't completely accurate, but I hope it clears up the confusion about which angle I'm whining about.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachlanholmes View Post
Sorry for causing confusion... I see how my edits implied that the floors aren't level. What I was referring to is the angle of the northern elevation of the podium, not the slab.

It's hard to see in pictures, and evidently hard to describe, but in person you notice that the northern elevation is at a wonk compared to the buildings just to the east. It's like that wall has been rotated a few degrees from the angle that the other buildings are built on.

I hope that this drawing below is a little clearer about what I mean. You can see that the red line in this image showcases the angle that the northern facades of the existing buildings follow, and the blue represents Platinum's podium. The facade has been built askew from the angle of the existing buildings.

Obviously this drawing isn't completely accurate, but I hope it clears up the confusion about which angle I'm whining about.

Key word Whining

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:37 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachlanholmes View Post
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Looks like they designed a floor plate that is square compared to the old apartment next door? That one looks like its northwest corner is a bit less than a right angle, while its northeast is a little greater than 90 degrees.

When the church was on the lot few would have noticed this.

There are a lot of buildings elsewhere (along King between James and Wellington, for example) where the streetwall is flush but the floorplans are a parallelogram shape. But effort has been made to make replacement structures fit the pattern.

I'd have to check it out in person once we can walk that sidewalk to know if it feels off to me.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 4:05 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Ah, thanks for clarifying. Looks like they designed a floor plate that is square compared to the old apartment next door? That one looks like its northwest corner is a bit less than a right angle, while its northeast is a little greater than 90 degrees.

When the church was on the lot few would have noticed this.

There are a lot of buildings elsewhere (along King between James and Wellington, for example) where the streetwall is flush but the floorplans are a parallelogram shape. But effort has been made to make replacement structures fit the pattern.

I'd have to check it out in person once we can walk that sidewalk to know if it feels off to me.
Yeah, I think that's very likely what happened here. I presume it's easier (and cheaper) to just build to perfect right angles rather than follow the existing streetwall and end up with slightly 'off' shapes, so I understand their rationale for doing so... but darn it, it's the little details that make a difference!

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 3:39 PM

5/20/2021 by Joe, on Flickr

5/20/2021 by Joe, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 11:24 AM

Yesterday evening from the roof top

Just wanted to share an update from my view.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woreg75 View Post
Just wanted to share an update from my view.

You can see the fire smoke from 95 Hess St. last evening on the first pic blowing towards the North-West.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 3:48 PM

Sorry for the absolutely trash photo. It's hard with the sun right behind this morning. They've completed up to what looks like 22 of 24 floors. Windows are installed up to floor 17, and balconies are installed up to floor 14.

By the end of July, the majority of the exterior should be complete. I'd say end of June, but I don't want to be too quick, because it doesn't seem like they're doing window installs every day.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 6:12 PM

Can't wait for this to top out (and to be completed!).

Hopefully Vrancor isn't too much longer before he can get moving on the apartment block across the street too. With Coletara's two other proposals a block south and BentalGreenOak's massive 3 tower apartment block Hess Village is going to absolutely explode in population in the next decade, it will be interesting to watch.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 7:24 PM
Ham-burgher

It's looking a lot better now that more glass is in. But does it ever add some "girth" to the skyline from the westward approaches (not a bad thing, it's just quite a thick tower)

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 11:52 PM

Occupancy is now due for as early as December.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren000 View Post
Occupancy is now due for as early as December.
Is that early? When was original occupancy slated for? I'm surprised that they're ahead of schedule.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 3:46 PM

Photo taken June 24, 2021

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 4:29 PM

Looks topped out?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Looks topped out?
I believe so, yes. Definitely has the form of the top. Not so much from this angle to be sure, but looking at it from the ground facing West, it does look like that.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Is that early? When was original occupancy slated for? I'm surprised that they're ahead of schedule.
Actually- this is its second delay! The first delay was for October of this year due to COVID. It’s now been pushed back to December (not a huge delay).

The roof is officially installed!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 4:39 PM

Drywall has arrived, so looks like the interior work has begun. Counted the number of floors an it's definitely at 24, thought there is still some precast waiting on trucks, so likely the last blocks to be installed or near to the last.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton