HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 6:50 PM

What will be the under count in NYC as a result of this policy decreed today?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/21/polit...nts/index.html

Trump signs order targeting undocumented immigrants in the US census
By Kevin Liptak, Maegan Vazquez and Ariane de Vogue, CNN
Quote:
Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump signed a presidential memorandum on Tuesday that would exclude undocumented immigrants from being counted in congressional districts when district lines are redrawn next year.

The memorandum marks the Trump administration's latest effort to change the way US populations are counted and advance the President's immigration agenda, and like previous efforts is certain to end up in court.
"I have accordingly determined that respect for the law and protection of the integrity of the democratic process warrant the exclusion of illegal aliens from the apportionment base, to the extent feasible and to the maximum extent of the President's discretion under the law," the executive order states.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
What will be the under count in NYC as a result of this policy decreed today?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/21/polit...nts/index.html

Trump signs order targeting undocumented immigrants in the US census
By Kevin Liptak, Maegan Vazquez and Ariane de Vogue, CNN
This is nonsense. The Constitution is pretty clear about who gets counted and how representation is apportioned, and he can't override the Constitution. This order won't survive a court challenge.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
This is nonsense. The Constitution is pretty clear about who gets counted and how representation is apportioned, and he can't override the Constitution. This order won't survive a court challenge.
A lot of judges have been appointed recently by this administration. But you're right. We can be assured they will do the right thing and strike this down as unconstitutional.

The real issue is the chilling effect on participation of undocumented immigrants that read the headline.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 2:21 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think we will be disappointed with this years numbers for the tri-state.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I think we will be disappointed with this years numbers for the tri-state.
Hopefully I'm being too pessimistic, but my gut feeling is that the NYC number for the 2020 Census is going to start with a 7.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 4:40 AM

Exclamation

At first I thought that was ridiculous. Was going to post something to refute you and came across this.

https://www.silive.com/coronavirus/2...-shutdown.html

Insane.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
At first I thought that was ridiculous. Was going to post something to refute you and came across this.

Insane.
I know a few "new yorkers" who worked in the city but have been back in their home towns working remotely since the spring.

Wealthy New Yorkers that have second residences have virtually no reason to be there for the time being.

And of course you have plenty of people who would have left anyway for various reasons that simply moved up their plans with nobody moving in at the moment.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
That is not exactly true, The issue is counting illegal immigrants for the point of federal funding mechanisms which is not laid out in the constitution.

The argument isnt population count but weather non-citizens should be used to determine fund allocation.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 2:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
Hopefully I'm being too pessimistic, but my gut feeling is that the NYC number for the 2020 Census is going to start with a 7.
If that sad figure of less than 8 million is true, maybe its a blessing. I can tell you that real estate prices have dropped profoundly. Even in Hudson County.

There was a unit that sold yesterday for 275k overlooking the cliffs, with a balcony, with a view of the whole skyline, around the 20th floor... for 275k!

An utter bargain.

My suspicion is that they didn't truly leave because of Corona, but due to cost of living. NYC has seen an exodus of people in the years not because of Corona, but because they are tired of the prices.

It will bounce back though. People will take advantage of the lower prices. There's always a younger generation to take their place.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 2:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
That is not exactly true, The issue is counting illegal immigrants for the point of federal funding mechanisms which is not laid out in the constitution.

The argument isnt population count but weather non-citizens should be used to determine fund allocation.
I get what your saying, but let's not go there with the 2nd comment as to not get this thread closed lol.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 2:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:

Insane.
A lot of folks are working from home, but also living with family in the meantime. I've seen tons of NY plates in NJ and PA, tons of them. They also being their terrible driving habits and minivans and SUV's that do 10 mph on the left lane. We don't need smart phone data, just look at the driving habits of "X" area.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post

I doubt that NYC drops below 8M people. If anything, It could be around 8.2M, a very small increase from the 2010 estimate of 8.174M. But either way, NY's loss is any other state's gain.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 3:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

Many city folks are moving to Long Island. But all ties back to cost of living more than folks running from the virus. This has been something that has been going on for a while.

Which is leading to bidding wars for POS homes. Hence why you'll see some listings rise by 20-40% in some cases. But still cheaper than a shoe box in the 5 boroughs.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

Okay, well, I'm not sure it would work how the people supporting this nonsense think it would work. I believe federal income tax needs to be collected proportional to a state's population, so if blue states are juicing their population numbers with a bunch of illegals then they are also paying more in federal taxes for the luxury. If illegals are removed from apportionment then blue state residents will pay less in taxes. Since the states with the highest incomes are blue states, and the states that receive more funding from the feds than they provide are mostly red, this change could actually require red states to pay more in taxes.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Okay, well, I'm not sure it would work how the people supporting this nonsense think it would work. I believe federal income tax needs to be collected proportional to a state's population, so if blue states are juicing their population numbers with a bunch of illegals then they are also paying more in federal taxes for the luxury. If illegals are removed from apportionment then blue state residents will pay less in taxes. Since the states with the highest incomes are blue states, and the states that receive more funding from the feds than they provide are mostly red, this change could actually require red states to pay more in taxes.
This will affect not just NY, but states with a high Mexican population such as CA, AZ, NV, TX, and IL. PA, MA, CT, RI, and even NJ won't be affect as much because the undocumented population isn't that high to the point where it will affect apportionment.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 1:59 PM

Quote:

Insane.

To add to the comments, this article is also from May.... For New York that is a world of difference from where we are today. Many people have since returned.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
Many people have since returned.
I'm not sure I agree with that. However, I have no data to backup my opinion. We'll have to wait for the Census results, as flawed as they will be this year, to draw conclusions.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 1:44 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with that. However, I have no data to backup my opinion. We'll have to wait for the Census results, as flawed as they will be this year, to draw conclusions.
Not everyone has returned, but it seems fairly obvious that there are more people in the city now than there were in May and June.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 9:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NYC Census Response Stands At 61 Percent Amid Deadline Dispute

Quote:
A bigger slice of $1.5 trillion pie could be headed to New York City than other big cities — assuming city dwellers keep filling out the U.S. Census and it's not cut short before an Oct. 31 deadline.

The city's Census response rate stands at 61.4 percent, officials said Tuesday.

It lags behind the national rate of roughly 66 percent, but stands as more than Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, Baltimore, Miami, Atlanta and Dallas, said Julie Menin, the city's Census director.

"We are fighting for our fair share of $1.5 trillion — funding for our public schools, public housing, senior centers, Medicaid, health care, so much more," Menin said.

And the clock is ticking, perhaps faster than expected, for New Yorkers to fill out their Census forms.

The Trump administration quietly moved the Census count deadline from Oct. 31 to Sept. 30 — a move decried by advocates who argued it would snarl the count already facing challenges from the coronavirus pandemic. A pair of court decisions effectively reinstated the Oct. 31 deadline but those are in question if the Supreme Court takes up the Trump administration's request to halt the count.

Census offices are continuing to count, including those in New York City. So far, its response rate is far ahead of 2010, when it ended 14 points behind the national average, Menin said.

Mayor Bill de Blasio encouraged New Yorkers to fill out the Census before they find the early deadline reimposed by the Supreme Court.

"So, if New York City continues to close that gap with the rest of the country, we maximize our opportunity to get our fair share of resources," he said. "So, everyone, please, this is a pivotal moment. We need everyone involved right away."
===================
https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-...adline-dispute

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 10:50 PM

I hate to say it, but maybe NYC's population coming in at only 5.5M will be blatant enough at saying the count was F'ed up that the powers that be of a new administration will have a 2021 redo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions