HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Roy Halifax in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 8:17 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Nice Mustang!

I can't imagine there not being some functional aspect of that framing. Seems to be braced such that it can support some snow loading, so there must be a plan for that framing to hold some kind of panel for shelter.
Yeah the Mustang was what I focused on too! Reminds me of my dad's one... his was blue with white c-stripes, soft top, '68 maybe.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 9:19 AM

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 3:53 PM

This is one of those buildings where I think the back side looks better than the front. They did a good job on this side, but unfortunately it appears to have created a dead space for pedestrians.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 10:33 PM

Part of it is that the ground level still seems to be empty (on all sides of the building). Once there are actual things to do at street level it might not seem so bland.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 12:42 AM

I assume there will be shops in the locations that have awnings?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
That was the plan (throwing back to the Book Room, Attica, etc) but of course DT - especially a back street DT - has zero appeal for most retail operators, especially given new-build rents and fitting-out costs.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That was the plan (throwing back to the Book Room, Attica, etc) but of course DT - especially a back street DT - has zero appeal for most retail operators, especially given new-build rents and fitting-out costs.
Makes you wonder how long it will take for the prime retail areas to be filled before these next-best choices will have occupation. I'm thinking it may have been a hard sell even without the pandemic stumbling block but it certainly has been slowed by it.

It would be nice to see Barrington fill out as a retail area again in the next few years.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 6:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I don't understand those awnings. Would they install some kind of material over them for signage and to stop the rain? As it is they appear to serve no purpose.

There are a lot of gaps along the east side of Barrington. Maritime Centre, Jade, then the Roy, then the Province of NS dead storefront, then the Press Block.

There are also some buildings that are just kind of run down or in a long-term state of renovation. The Pacific Building, NFB, and Tramway.

My prediction is that this will all sort itself out eventually and I think Barrington is at maybe 1/2 of what its potential is.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2022, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't understand those awnings. Would they install some kind of material over them for signage and to stop the rain? As it is they appear to serve no purpose.

There are a lot of gaps along the east side of Barrington. Maritime Centre, Jade, then the Roy, then the Province of NS dead storefront, then the Press Block.

There are also some buildings that are just kind of run down or in a long-term state of renovation. The Pacific Building, NFB, and Tramway.

My prediction is that this will all sort itself out eventually and I think Barrington is at maybe 1/2 of what its potential is.
Agreed. It was looking so good for a bit there with multiple new thriving restaurants and Urban Outfitters, but then just kind of stopped. Hopefully will pick up soon, it really is a beautiful streetscape.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 8:10 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Agreed. It was looking so good for a bit there with multiple new thriving restaurants and Urban Outfitters, but then just kind of stopped. Hopefully will pick up soon, it really is a beautiful streetscape.
Agreed. I think filling in the residential developments in the area will be a first step. Downtown kind of feels forgotten about at times to me, maybe because it doesn't seem really well integrated into the North End or Spring Garden? Will be interesting to see how it changes with Cogswell.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 5:03 PM

There has been a lot of work going on in the two corner retail spaces...both Barrington along the sidewalk (definitely something moving in there) and along Sackville (which is/has been full of seemingly dug-up concrete...really unsure about that one).

I've been living here about 2 years now, and I've definitely seen less empty parking spaces and more people moving in over the last 6 months. I don't know an exact number, but I'd bet probably 80%+ of the units are occupied now. I'm sure I'd be able to get that info!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth