HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

A 21-year-old man was shot to death in Ottawa's east end this week.

https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...e-6430d4f26e01

There are posts on here saying Ottawa already had 6 murders but according to the media this was only the 5th.

There have been a lot of shootings in one specific part of the west end of the city this week. Basically one a night.

This is the area very generally north of the Bayshore shopping centre, if that rings a bell.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A 21-year-old man was shot to death in Ottawa's east end this week.

https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...e-6430d4f26e01

There are posts on here saying Ottawa already had 6 murders but according to the media this was only the 5th.

There have been a lot of shootings in one specific part of the west end of the city this week. Basically one a night.

This is the area very generally north of the Bayshore shopping centre, if that rings a bell.
There was also the Ottawa women who's body was found out in the rural areas last week, for which a man is in custody. I don't know if that was close enough to be considered an "Ottawa homicide".

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 8:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
There was also the Ottawa women who's body was found out in the rural areas last week, for which a man is in custody. In addition, there was a report of a body found behind a school in the east end last week - I have seen nothing further to say whether that was a homicide.
The body behind the high school is the homicide I referred to. Not sure about the others.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 9:56 PM

I'm not sure about the exact tally for Ottawa either, but the small towns just outside of Ottawa have had 3 homicides in the past 2 weeks as well.
Carleton Place, 20 min drive from Kanata.
Rockland, 20 min drive from Orleans.
Kemptville, 25 min drive from Barhaven.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 11:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzo_613 View Post
I'm not sure about the exact tally for Ottawa either, but the small towns just outside of Ottawa have had 3 homicides in the past 2 weeks as well.
Carleton Place, 20 min drive from Kanata.
Rockland, 20 min drive from Orleans.
Kemptville, 25 min drive from Barhaven.
Gatineau has had 1 or 2. Val-des-Monts has 2 (one incident).

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:40 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

'He cared:' Red Deer doctor dies following walk-in clinic attack

Quote:
A Red Deer doctor died Monday after being attacked inside an examination room at a walk-in clinic in the central Alberta city.

RCMP reported an assault with an unspecified weapon at Village Mall Walk-In Clinic Monday, and later upgraded the investigation to a homicide. A man is in custody and no one else is being sought, said police.
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/cri...walk-in-clinic

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:09 PM

^ That is truly frightening. I can't believe a doctor would get attacked at work like that.

Purely anecdotal, but it feels like there has been a bit of an escalation in the frequency and violence of criminal incidents like these since the pandemic began. In Winnipeg there's been a spike in murders in recent weeks which has put us on pace to break the record of 44 set last year.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ That is truly frightening. I can't believe a doctor would get attacked at work like that.
It happens more frequently than you think. There was a female GP in NS about 12 years ago who was attacked in her office by a drug seeking patient, and suffered serious injuries. She returned to work the following year, but she had PTSD from the incident. A second similar (but less serious incident) happened to her 7-8 years later, and she couldn't handle it. She committed suicide after the second incident. A nice woman and a well liked GP. I knew her. She was a year behind me in medical school.

Physicians in private offices are at risk. ERs also are frequently violent and abusive workplaces. The mentally ill and addicts with drug seeking behaviour are particularly dangerous. Gang violence is rare in Canada, but there is a reason why hospitals are put in lockdown during mass shooting incidents...........

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It happens more frequently than you think. There was a female GP in NS about 12 years ago who was attacked in her office by a drug seeking patient, and suffered serious injuries. She returned to work the following year, but she had PTSD from the incident. A second similar (but less serious incident) happened to her 7-8 years later, and she couldn't handle it. She committed suicide after the second incident. A nice woman and a well liked GP. I knew her. She was a year behind me in medical school.
That is horrible. I suppose the nature of primary care in Canada is that you come into contact with people of all types of backgrounds including violent addicts (not saying that all are, but clearly some are). It has to be pretty stressful knowing that you can face some tense situations at work.

Quote:
Physicians in private offices are at risk. ERs also are frequently violent and abusive workplaces. The mentally ill and addicts with drug seeking behaviour are particularly dangerous.
That rings true. Winnipeg's Health Sciences Centre is the main tertiary care centre for the province and it is located smack dab in what we might call one of the city's "grittier" neighbourhoods... it has had its share of incidents in recent years and it has taken on a more fortress-like character in recent years.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I know it's a common thing these days to talk about cops wantonly treating the mentally ill like dangerous criminals, but I think the reality is that they have actually been taking more and more of them to hospital emergency rooms.

The last few times I have been to an emergency room, they seemed swamped with mental health cases.

A triage nurse once told me that we'd be waiting a long time to see a doctor, because there was a revolving door of them brought in by cops.

"It feels like it's all we do these days. They just bring one in after the other."

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 3:01 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
'He cared:' Red Deer doctor dies following walk-in clinic attack

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/cri...walk-in-clinic
That's horrific and so disturbing, let alone tragic.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 3:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I know it's a common thing these days to talk about cops wantonly treating the mentally ill like dangerous criminals, but I think the reality is that they have actually been taking more and more of them to hospital emergency rooms.
When I return to the Moncton Hospital when I am on call in the evenings and overnight, I drive pass the entrance to the ER on the way to my parking space. There is a little parking area reserved there for emergency vehicles outside the ER, and it is pretty much routine to see 2-4 RCMP vehicles parked there. This isn't always because of violent addicts or mentally ill patients. Sometimes it's because of simple MVAs where there is a suspicion of intoxication or, because of injured victims of criminal activity.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 3:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
When I return to the Moncton Hospital when I am on call in the evenings and overnight, I drive pass the entrance to the ER on the way to my parking space. There is a little parking area reserved there for emergency vehicles outside the ER, and it is pretty much routine to see 2-4 RCMP vehicles parked there. This isn't always because of violent addicts or mentally ill patients. Sometimes it's because of simple MVAs where there is a suspicion of intoxication or, because of injured victims of criminal activity.
I don't doubt that's true, but at least in Gatineau, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto, all of the people I know who work either in the police or emergency rooms point to an increasingly busy conveyor belt between the mean streets and the ER.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 4:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I don't doubt that's true, but at least in Gatineau, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto, all of the people I know who work either in the police or emergency rooms point to an increasingly busy conveyor belt between the mean streets and the ER.
I agree. When I was pulling ER shifts in 4th year med school, internship and during one year in Summerside before going back for residency training (1983-85), it was rare to see police constables loitering around the ER. Now they are very visible, and won't leave their charges (suspects or victims), even when they are on their way to the Radiology Department for a CT scan.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 5:23 PM

Crazy about that attack in Red Deer, sounds like a hammer was the murder weapon and it was quite the scene. The killer also had a machete apparently, quite scary!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:

The last few times I have been to an emergency room, they seemed swamped with mental health cases.

A triage nurse once told me that we'd be waiting a long time to see a doctor, because there was a revolving door of them brought in by cops.

"It feels like it's all we do these days. They just bring one in after the other."
More than “one in after the other”, I suspect what you’d find is that much of it relates to a relatively small group of people who are “frequent fliers”.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 5:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
More than “one in after the other”, I suspect what you’d find is that much of it relates to a relatively small group of people who are “frequent fliers”.
That too, I am sure.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 1:46 PM

26 year old Kitchener mother charged with second degree murder in death of her 8 month old boy on the weekend. Last week, a two year old was killed in Waterloo - his mother died a day later of self-inflicted wounds (police not looking for other suspects).

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 1:58 PM

Winnipeg - 28

Toronto - 41

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 2:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Gatineau may have a third. Our ambulance chaser (known on Facebook as "Caméra de nuit") is reporting that police have had an apartment sealed off for a few days as they investigate a suspicious death. No info from the police on this yet.

This is in Pointe-Gatineau, one of the older parts of the city.

If so, it would be Gatineau's 3rd of 2020.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada