HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 3:10 AM
Burming Hammer

yet another project for parkside... according to their twitter, the BBJ will have a story tomorrow. this is the daniel development in parkside (i think right next to the new buffalo wild wings):

previous story:Birmingham City Council OKs rezoning to clear way for multifamily project

looks to be 7 stories...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
yet another project for parkside... according to their twitter, the BBJ will have a story tomorrow. this is the daniel development in parkside (i think right next to the new buffalo wild wings):

previous story:Birmingham City Council OKs rezoning to clear way for multifamily project

looks to be 7 stories...
This is on the property UAB sold a couple months back, just across third avenue south from Regions Field. This makes 4 brand new large complexes in that area. I would like to see a high rise on that Beer Engineers property if they are not going to use it.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 2:29 PM
Burming Hammer

Tower crane is up for Ascend (17-story tower in Five Points)

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 1:55 PM

Quote:
With a very large elevator base for the building's elevator. That is what I think it is anyway.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 5:40 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
With a very large elevator base for the building's elevator. That is what I think it is anyway.
Gonna be interesting to see how that tower is constructed in such a constricted space. I don't doubt they can do it, but I doubt anyone in town has seen it since the bank buildings went up in the CBD int he 90s.

Gonna be interesting to watch. Certainly will be prominent on the Southside.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:24 PM

I noticed something this morning on my way to work. The Makario's property located at 20th street and 10th avenue South, just across from the site for the new student apartment complex, has fresh survey markings around it and freshly drilled survey test holes. For a while I thought U.A.B. owned most of Makario's parking lot but not according to the survey markings. It is a nice large 'L' shaped piece of property. Even larger if you throw in the Biddle building in back of Makario's. I wonder what's up.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:32 PM

Demolition is to begin in late summer or early fall on the Southtown housing project's 26 acres on University blvd and Red Mountain Expressway between St.Vincent's Hospital and U.A.B.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 11:43 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Drove by the Ascend worksite today. The piece of land just keeps looking smaller and smaller.

Anyways, rebar is beginning to rise out of some of the concrete base. Looking forward to see this one rise!

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 6:59 PM

Article behind paywall in the BBJ says the Red Mountain Theater Company will build its new campus at 3rd Avenue and 16th Street South, just a half block from Regions Field.
Also another article says a development group is to build a large mixed use project, with a boutique hotel, for sale residential units, restaurant,studio and office space at 17th street and 1st avenue south directly across from railroad park.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 7:53 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 11:02 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Ugh, I get that sunlight needs to be maintained throughout RR Park, but I really wish that some of these builings were taller. There is still plenty of space in the CBD & Southside, but I'm tired of lowrise apartment buildings. The residential space is very welcome, but we need increased density. Right next to RR Park may not be the place for such density, but there are plenty of blocks on the Southside could use more dense construction.

Hopefully, as new buildings are erected, property values will continue to increase and density will become more a priority. This is already happening in the 5 Points S area, but it really needs to spread down into the valley... Just IMO

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:03 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Anyway, update...

Steel reinforced concrete is beginning to rise at the corner of 20th St S & 10 Ave S in Fiver Points S. Yup, just 17 floor, but again, this building should be pretty pThirrominant as it nears completiong.

3rd Phase of 20 Midtown remains stalled. Don't know why. I shop at the Publix at 20th & 3rd frequently, and haven't seen any movement in months.

BRT line (B'ahm Express) is taking longer than anticipated to begin construction. Reason behind this is the City farming out engineering design work to too many engineering firms for a single project. This project remains cumbersome, but will happen. I the end, B'ham Express will be one of the longest single BRT routes in the country.

USDA turned down all proposed sites in Birmingham for a new headquarters for a few of their divisions, meaning the Liberty National building will continue to remain vacant. Hopefully, developers will be able to wrangle a tenant after investint so much in the building. With the surrouneing residences and grocery store (Publix) I'd imagine that the building will be occupied sooner rather than later.

Regions Financial will move all operations into Regions Center, leaving Wells Fargo Plaza will plenty of space. Shipt will be moving in soon to "Wells Fargo Plaza", renaming Shipt Tower as they will be the dominant tenant. At this point "Shipt" will sport their lgo prominintely in downtown. They currently have their name plastered on the John Hand Building, but their presence will become inceasingly more obvious once their logo is placed atop the tallest building in the city.

Buffalo Wild Wings has been open near Regions Field, a nea apt/hotel will be constructed just across the street from RR park, and we're awaiting our last professional sports franchise which will compete in the nearly renovated BJCC Arena (Legacy Arena).

Great things are happening! We just need to continue celebatration these new large developments. I don't see any kink in the pipeline anytime soon.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 2:52 PM
The Salty Ham

A shame about the USDA thing, I thought that was in the bag. Oh well, maybe some new tech company will show up riding on the momentum of Shipt and DC BLOX.

20 Midtown Phase 3 is also a head scratcher, considering the momentum of the first 2 stages. Maybe it is some technical issue that just takes time.

I look forward to seeing more about the project that will take over the space Sherman is vacating.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:40 PM
Burming Hammer

i wonder if 20 midtown delay has anything to do with whatever they were having to tear up / replace next to publix down 3rd ave south? (i assume it was sewer work).

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 6:06 PM

Quote:
i wonder if 20 midtown delay has anything to do with whatever they were having to tear up / replace next to publix down 3rd ave south? (i assume it was sewer work).
In the last update I read, that was one of the items they mentioned was the sewer issue. So perhaps when that is finished they will continue.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 3:34 PM
Burming Hammer

miscellaneous project updates:

UAB COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES

UAB DORM (didn't realize this tower crane was up)

UAB PROTON THERAPY CENTER

DENHAM BUILDING

FAIRFIELD INN AND SUITES BY MARRIOTT

FOUNDRY YARDS (demolition starting)

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 12:22 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Thanks, Tim, for the great visual updates!

I'm really starting to get concerned about the 3rd phased of the 20 Midtown development! A month or so ago, they were actively working to establish a stable foundation for the development, but I haven't seen ANY work at the site for a long while. I hope their just waiting to accrue enought tenants to warrant full construction. If that's not the case, with this dry (albeit hot) weather, they're missing a great opportunity to get some good work in.

BTW, the Five Points S tower is going vertical! There are reinforced concrete columns pointing to the sky. I still do not understand how they will accomodate residents with automobiles, but then again, maybe they're not anticipating residents who own vehicles.

Anyway, some great construction going on south of the tracks!

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 6:30 PM
The Salty Ham

I keep hearing that the water table and utility conduits are the issues with Midtown, but we'll see.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I keep hearing that the water table and utility conduits are the issues with Midtown, but we'll see.
It must be on that 3rd Avenue side of the site, they seemed to have finished pile driving the I beams on that side but no concrete and re-bar like on the 2nd Avenue side. They dug a trench down 3rd Avenue and 20th Street just outside that site down to about 18th street or further, but not sure if that is the project that's holding everything up. There are about 7 or 8 new apartment projects announced and/or starting soon, 20 Midtown phase III needs to step it up before the wait list for downtown living drys up.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 4:21 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
It must be on that 3rd Avenue side of the site, they seemed to have finished pile driving the I beams on that side but no concrete and re-bar like on the 2nd Avenue side. They dug a trench down 3rd Avenue and 20th Street just outside that site down to about 18th street or further, but not sure if that is the project that's holding everything up. There are about 7 or 8 new apartment projects announced and/or starting soon, 20 Midtown phase III needs to step it up before the wait list for downtown living drys up.

There are certainly issues with the level of the water table. I don't know much wbout the geology of Jones Valley, but I'd guess that it's some kind of sedimentary stone like limestone dolomite. The subsurfaces easily form caveties while acidic rain percolate into the bedrock, further weakening the bedrovck the lan This may be the case with Birmingha, but I've never noticed, or heard of, of any of hese issues in literature.

Truthfully, I don't really believe that any builders/developers are that concerned with encountering swiss cheese underground lilke you can find in Huntsville and Decatur.

Either way, I don't believe that this stoppage of work on 20 Midtown will go on forever. It has prime real, offers a highly walkable environment, and a tremenous number of amenities that are less than 10 miles away by goot.

I just don't see this project not coming to fruition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast