HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 8:53 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

An interesting piece of information is buried in this op-ed written by Andrew Oland: https://huddle.today/new-investments...or-the-future/

Quote:
Finally, I wanted to highlight some significant progress being made in the creation of a Greater Saint John Innovation District. The District (made up of multiple regional sites and industry expertise) is a concept of bringing post-secondary education, research, government, and industry together to focus on innovative approaches to grow the regional economy.

In January of this year EDGSJ, along with the University of New Brunswick, announced the redevelopment of 40 Charlotte Street which brought the UNBSJ MBA program uptown. In July we will open Block One, an incubation facility for (scalable) startups. Phase one of building the Innovation District is about connecting entrepreneurship to talented students and researchers from our university. We already have several exciting industry and organizational partnerships taking place that we hope will lead to the redevelopment of another key uptown site, near the UNBSJ space.
I wonder what site he could be referring to?

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 9:02 PM
ハルウララ

If it's near the UNBSJ facility at 40 Charlotte then I assume it's the Paramount Theatre site. I would be very interested if UNBSJ were looking at that site along with the adjacent offices on the corner of King North & Sydney. That would be a sizable development site in a key central Uptown area and would be ideally placed for a potential Innovation District. Honestly just the thought of UNBSJ creating more of a presence in the Uptown is enough to get me excited.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:28 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

The Paramount lot is a good guess. My first thought was that he might be referring to 91 King.

Redevelopment of either property would be excellent for the King's Square area. Personally I'm hoping that the combined Paramount/Dominion site gets a substantial residential component on the upper floors to drive up the area's density and increase activity in the square.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:00 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
The Paramount lot is a good guess. My first thought was that he might be referring to 91 King.

Redevelopment of either property would be excellent for the King's Square area. Personally I'm hoping that the combined Paramount/Dominion site gets a substantial residential component on the upper floors to drive up the area's density and increase activity in the square.
I hadn't even considered 91 King initially but that would also be a good bet. I agree that a residential component should be added to the property to boost activity and density in the vicinity. We'll have a few more properties online and open in the next year or so in the Uptown but adding another 150-200 residents directly onto King's Square would be fantastic.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 7:29 PM

In a Facebook video posted today MP Wayne Long said with respect to the Fundy Quay site “we are extremely close to announcing something very very significant there”.

Im guessing with the funding option where the federal government contributes 80% the provincial government is more on board. As NB looks to stimulate the private sector this project would be an ideal candidate.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 3:23 PM

Saint John Non-Profit Housing has applied for a work permit for their new 47-unit mixed-use affordable housing building The Wellington.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 3:28 PM

Saint John Seeking Proposals For Loyalist Plaza Redesign, Harbour Passage Extension

Quote:
Documents for the request for proposal show an estimated price tag of $7.5 million for redesigning Loyalist Plaza and $2 million to $4 million for extending Harbour Passage.

The proposal hinges on the city obtaining provincial and federal funding before the end of September, which Cyr said he is optimistic they will receive. He said “very frequent” discussions have been taking place with members of the provincial government.

“We’re very positive with the quality of the discussions that we’re having and we’re optimistic about moving forward, although nothing has been confirmed yet,” said Cyr.

The request for proposals closes Aug. 6 and construction would be completed by the summer of 2022.

This is the third in a series of requests issued for the Fundy Quay development project. Cyr said design work to refurbish and raise the seawall is moving forward according to the schedule.

A second call for proposals for engineering services related to the remediation of contaminated soils is set to close on July 30, he said.
https://huddle.today/saint-john-seek...age-extension/

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 8:24 PM

It looks like the building that once housed the City Road Bakery will be coming down soon, per Common Council.

Probably for the best to give that lot a new lease on life. That building has needed to go for a long time.

o.o

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 10:05 AM

New apartments at bottom of Leinster St now complete - 7 high-end units starting at $1800 monthly before utilities. Named “Gulliver’s Lookout”

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 3:02 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Any pictures of the Gothic Arches site perhaps?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Any pictures of the Gothic Arches site perhaps?
I took this on Friday, the foundation is massive.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 7:40 PM

Hello all,

Nice forum you have here!

I'm the guy renovating the three-unit across Duke from Sam's Convenience. In case anyone was curious, I should have new windows by the end of September that match the original appearance. I will be re-siding, with shingles, in the fall or spring depending on shingle prices. Absolutely refuse to use vinyl.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 7:53 PM

Welcome aboard!

We're generally a friendly bunch, thirsty for all development news in the provinces we can find. So we often seem prophetic in what we can sniff out, often times (it seems) before the developers even figure out what they are doing.

Good luck with your project; sounds like a great update!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Hello all,

Nice forum you have here!

I'm the guy renovating the three-unit across Duke from Sam's Convenience. In case anyone was curious, I should have new windows by the end of September that match the original appearance. I will be re-siding, with shingles, in the fall or spring depending on shingle prices. Absolutely refuse to use vinyl.
I’m happy you’ve found the forum! We all look forward to seeing the end result of your project. Thank you for choosing to invest in Uptown SJ!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 8:24 PM

Renovations are coming to a close at 62 Water Street with signage up for a new business Paris Crew.

photo is from their Instagram page

Last edited by ColSJ; Aug 24, 2020 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 8:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Looks fantastic!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
I’m happy you’ve found the forum! We all look forward to seeing the end result of your project. Thank you for choosing to invest in Uptown SJ!
I found the forum months ago but didn't bother to make an account.

I did 147 Orange last year. Hoping for many more.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 5:18 AM
Unregistered Loser

Construction Update

Photos: Me

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 3:16 PM

I noticed on the city’s watch us grow app a work permit for the 47 unit mixed income apartment building The Wellington has been approved. They were aiming to begin construction this fall so we should finally see some shovels in the ground very soon.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
I noticed on the city’s watch us grow app a work permit for the 47 unit mixed income apartment building The Wellington has been approved. They were aiming to begin construction this fall so we should finally see some shovels in the ground very soon.
It's great. Between the Wellington (47), Gothic Arches (80?), Telegraph (32), and the new structure on LCL south of the Salvation Army (29) that's 188 brand new units or so. Plus small developers and re-developers, the uptown/south end population should grow substantially in the 2021 census.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces