HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think they are both correct, but depict two different angles. The tower is wide along one axis and narrow along another (sort of an 8 shape? the planning materials aren't very clear about it, but include renderings side-by-side from different angles).

I'm optimistic that it will look decent because this is one of the larger and more established developers who seem to get better with each round of projects and they plan on using curtain wall on this project.

Richmond Yards is part of this scene below (white cranes, not currently at their full height).

Source
... ok.. that makes more sense. Glad to hear it because in that first pic it's stunning!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 5:08 PM
It's Hammer Time

For Hamilton, it's the Cobalt.

Two 30 storey buildings, both at 97.5 m.

It's been taking a while for them to build this. I think it's now been an entire year where they are still working below ground. The big dig, there's an underground river under much of the downtown area, so it's been slow.

coalminecanary
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=766

However, it now looks like the buildings will be at grade very soon, so we should see this rise above ground very soon.

lachlanholmes
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=883

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 6:31 PM

London - Centro - 129 metres

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 6:52 PM

Thanks for putting this together, nice to see what’s going on around the country.

Seeing all those cranes in that Halifax shot is awesome.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
Thanks for putting this together, nice to see what’s going on around the country.

Seeing all those cranes in that Halifax shot is awesome.
Agreed. I look forward to keeping up to date with some of these especially the ones in suburbs and smaller towns that don't seem to be talked about much on here.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:28 PM

Good idea for a thread Chad

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:31 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

I agree - great thread to get to know what’s happenning in the different cities.

One question - shouldn’t “Cobalt” be blue ?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:42 PM

Toronto getting a new tallest for the first time in 45 years.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 8:17 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Toronto getting a new tallest for the first time in 45 years.
The new tallest(s) in Halifax are surpassing Fenwick Tower which was completed in 1971. Interesting partly because it would have been very ambitious to build a 33 storey building in Halifax starting in the 1960's. Same thing for buildings like First Canadian Place which seem like they must have been much more ambitious than any modern projects in Canada right now. FCP in its time was like the tallest buildings being built in Asia these days.

There are a bunch of buildings in Halifax all around the same height scattered around the city so the designation of "tallest" isn't very dramatic and doesn't seem like something most people there talk about much. It is not like American cities where some company builds a new office tower every few years that dramatically outclasses the older one across the street. Richmond Yards did not get much fanfare and I think in a few years a 30 storey or so residential tower will just fit into the fabric of the city and many parts of town will have them.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 8:23 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
London - Centro - 129 metres
Centro is already on the OP. I just need a progress pic of it.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 8:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

First Canadian Place was the 6th tallest building in the world to structural top (currently 103rd) and the tallest building overall outside of Chicago and New York when built in 1975.

The Bank of Montreal "M-bar" logo at the top of the building was the highest sign in the world from 1975 until overtaken by the sign atop CITIC Plaza (Hong Kong) in 1997.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Centro is already on the OP. I just need a progress pic of it.
Sorry, I didn't originally see it. Think there might be a link in the London sub-forum

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 9:32 PM

A lot of construction in Quebec City at the moment but as always, nothing very high. Simply not in the city's DNA. I believe this is the tallest under construction: 800 Charest Est.

Let's hope same time next year, we'll be able to post about Cogir's new 200m tower...

https://www.gmdeveloppement.com/projets-a-venir

https://www.quebecurbain.qc.ca/2021/...des-travaux-2/

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 9:48 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
First Canadian Place was the 6th tallest building in the world to structural top (currently 103rd) and the tallest building overall outside of Chicago and New York when built in 1975.

The audacity of the '70s giants. You gotta love it.

It was like a hard slap back from the '60s military-industrial technocracy after it all got weird for a minute.

Like "no it all still works we're knocking down a landmark block to build a vague prism the size of God".

It's one of those things where it might not have been for the best, but it had a purity of vision and the force of spite.

Helps you understand the time.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 10:55 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

The Bank of Montreal "M-bar" logo at the top of the building was the highest sign in the world from 1975 until overtaken by the sign atop CITIC Plaza (Hong Kong) in 1997.
Yes, it was in the Guinness Book of World Records for highest sign. It used to be that all of the top ten buildings in the world were in New York, Chicago and Toronto.

I worked there for a while around 30 years ago. In fact I've worked in two towers that could claim to have been Canada's tallest office buildings: the Union Bank/Royal Tower in Winnipeg (tallest from 1904-1906, I think) and FCP (actually First Bank Tower) (1975-present).

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 11:13 PM

Didn't even know about the Pinnacle One building in Toronto..

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 12:48 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
The audacity of the '70s giants. You gotta love it.

It was like a hard slap back from the '60s military-industrial technocracy after it all got weird for a minute.

Like "no it all still works we're knocking down a landmark block to build a vague prism the size of God".

It's one of those things where it might not have been for the best, but it had a purity of vision and the force of spite.

Helps you understand the time.

And somehow, PANAM signifies this audacity more than the carriers of today. Just like how the bad assed Pan Am building in New York loomed over Park Avenue in a way that is somehow not as imposing now that it is Met Life.

It may have been brutish, it may have been overpowering. But this image from National Geographic, as much as any other, kindled my fascination with skyscrapers and New York City.

natgeo

but I digress, as this is the 60s, not the 70s. Don Draper-land. The New York City of cigarettes and noon-hour martinis. the 60s were so glamorous in certain respects. I certainly like the image of Margot Robbie as a flight attendant.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 12:53 AM

I am pretty sure that Surrey One Central at 134 metres is the tallest currently U/C in Surrey.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 1:25 AM
Aimless Wanderer

I'd like to see a recent pic of the Kitchener skyline from a distance with the new DTK Tower. It's a major game changer, IMO.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 2:04 AM
Look at me!

Wow look at Halifax go! Impressive what's happening over there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada