HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 9:49 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

An FB acquaintance of mine... some people are just exceptionally good at writing a Newfoundland accent, it's almost as good as r/ScottishPeopleTwitter lol

I imagine none of this is incomprehensible, but JUST in case:

My fave recent Scottish example lol

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 2:10 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ Reminds me of:

8 Year old me: Dad where did our people come from?
Dad: England
Me: But they had nice houses in England (shows picture of Buckingham Palace), and nice clothes too (shows pictures of Henry VIII and My Fair Lady). But here they had to build their houses on stilts on top of rocks. Why would they come here?
Dad: It was for the fish
Me: Oh! **silenced**
Me: Can I have fish & chips for supper then?
Dad: No, we're havin fish and brews, bruise, brewis with pork fat and biled potatoes, but you can put some Miracle Whip on it.
Me: chew chew chew, barf . . . chew chew chew, barf . . . needs more Miracle Whip.

edit. There is lots of symbolism in this simple story, the common theme of the struggle between the past and the present. The realization that we can be trapped by the forces that are responsible for our very existence.

Last edited by Architype; Apr 5, 2021 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 8:04 PM
ハルウララ

People who say 'just seen' or 'I seen' truly drive me crazy.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I know it's wrong, but it still comes out of my mouth

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 1:01 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Speaking of Canada: How does where you live affect your language?

Video Link

Whaddayat?
The Newfoundland dialect is full of charming turns of phrase, but its real distinction is found in how it echoes the past:
https://nationalpost.com/entertainme...choes-the-past

“The Newfoundland accent hasn’t been the same since the baymen got cable TV.”

Last edited by Architype; May 1, 2021 at 1:14 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Blue colla yo!!

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 2:14 AM

Quote:
In under 30 minutes on CBC radio the other day, I heard both “have came” and “have went”, from people being interviewed.

Ick ...

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 1:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

OK so this is not a Canadian speech trait, but I wanted to contribute that saying "morning" instead of "good morning" really bugs me, either verbally and in emails.

To me it either means "I'm not really that pleased to be addressing you but need to acknowledge you anyway", or it simply comes across as a lack of class.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OK so this is not a Canadian speech trait, but I wanted to contribute that saying "morning" instead of "good morning" really bugs me, either verbally and in emails.

To me it either means "I'm not really that pleased to be addressing you but need to acknowledge you anyway", or it simply comes across as a lack of class.
Oof I almost exclusively use Morning. Well, probably actually "Mornin'!". I don't think it's that odd to hear from others, either, it's so non - noticeable that I can't recall, there's just no difference. If it registered at all I'd forget which one you said within 30 seconds.

In email, if it's anyone I email on a somewhat regular basis they get Morning. Inside coworkers, outside suppliers, contractors whatever. In fact, the time I probably use " good morning" the most is when I'm BCCing an RFQ to a bunch of suppliers at once, since you can write:

Good morning,

Without addressing it to anyone, but you need to write:

Morning Jim,

With a name for it to work.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 1:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
Oof I almost exclusively use Morning. Well, probably actually "Mornin'!". I don't think it's that odd to hear from others, either, it's so non - noticeable that I can't recall, there's just no difference. If it registered at all I'd forget which one you said within 30 seconds.

In email, if it's anyone I email on a somewhat regular basis they get Morning. Inside coworkers, outside suppliers, contractors whatever. In fact, the time I probably use " good morning" the most is when I'm BCCing an RFQ to a bunch of suppliers at once, since you can write:

Good morning,

Without addressing it to anyone, but you need to write:

Morning Jim,

With a name for it to work.
I forgot to add this to my post: "Apologies to anyone who actually does that!"

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 7:07 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:

Gotta say, your take sounds really odd to me. I've always heard that as the typical shortening up of things that get repeated a lot, like how "hello" becomes "hi" and "thank you" becomes "thanks."

Like in Spanish, how "cómo estás?" often sounds sounds likes "om-sta?." Or French, where "comment ça va?" is sometimes just "ça va?"

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Gotta say, your take sounds really odd to me. I've always heard that as the typical shortening up of things that get repeated a lot, like how "hello" becomes "hi" and "thank you" becomes "thanks."

Like in Spanish, how "cómo estás?" often sounds sounds likes "om-sta?." Or French, where "comment ça va?" is sometimes just "ça va?"
Yeah, I think it boils down to tone more than actual content. Saying "morning, Ted" to a beloved coworker is a friendly gesture, while delivering a sarcastic "Good Morning, Jim" to someone you hate is clearly barbed even though the form is perfect.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 7:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Like in Spanish, how "cómo estás?" often sounds sounds likes "om-sta."
Actually, I'm mostly fine with 'morning or even 'mornin', when spoken, as the intonation still implies the word "good".

I guess I am more irked by when it's in writing, as in an email that begins with:

Morning Mr. Rousseau,

We hereby acknowledge receipt of...

I saw something like this today, and it's what set me off. (It wasn't the first time I've seen this.)

It comes off as a bit testy to me, and not necessarily polite. As in, "don't assume that the morning is good or that I am wishing you a good one, but I don't have a choice to open by acknowledging you".

Or as I said before, as a lack of class or manners.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 7:39 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Actually, I'm mostly fine with 'morning or even 'mornin', when spoken, as the intonation still implies the word "good".

I guess I am more irked by when it's in writing, as in an email that begins with:

Morning Mr. Rousseau,

I saw something like this today, and it's what set me off. (It wasn't the first time I've seen this.)

It comes off as a bit testy to me, and not necessarily polite. As in, "don't assume that the morning is good or that I am wishing you a good one, but I don't have a choice to open by acknowledging you".

Okay, yeah, it looks strange when written, I agree. I've never actually come across that myself, but then again, I'm not in an office or at a company with coworkers.

Come to think of it, clients I regularly work with generally say "Hi <insert name here>," and I use that construction as well. Now and then I'll get "good morning" or "good afternoon," but not often, given that many of my clients are in different time zones.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 8:46 PM

Quote:

Morning Mr. Rousseau,

I can’t recall ever having seen it used in a written text before. I would find it a bit odd in a professional context. As a spoken greeting, I’d say it’s just more casual than the full phrase.

Old Posted May 21, 2021, 9:30 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

'Morning is just a cursory abbreviation for good morning, also 'night for good night. Social formalities have become less formal over time, perhaps a reflection of our society becoming less class oriented and more inclusive?

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 10:17 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
'Morning is just a cursory abbreviation for good morning, also 'night for good night. Social formalities have become less formal over time, perhaps a reflection of our society becoming less class oriented and more inclusive?
Omitting the word good from good morning makes us more inclusive?

Inclusive of whom or of what?

Of a race to the bottom where people can't speak or write in even the most basic complete thoughts and terms?

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:

I say hi and thanks to people I know and in a relaxed setting. Hello and Thank You are for more formals settings, strangers or service people (gas stations attendants, check out clerks, barista's etc).

I too despair at the dumbing down and general slovenly trait of society.

But maybe it's just my Naval Officer bearing that is out of step.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 7:10 PM

Quote:

Expressions that rub me the wrong way:

Bang for the buck: at some point it was overused on this forum and I literally started to find it annoying because of that.

6ix: is this related to Drake in some way? It kinda stinks of “trying too hard”.

When a cashier says “next” to tell you you can come forward while you are the only person in line.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 7:12 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
6ix: is this related to Drake in some way? It kinda stinks of “trying too hard”.
It's already been identified as cheugy and is quickly being eradicated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada