HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 10:57 PM

Good points and I agree with most.
When you hear folks say things are bad......it sends a message and some folks get this in their heads. Even the media jump on this way of thinking. If we all stopped watching the news (or the lack of) in this city we would be rolling along very well!
There are more high paying jobs here in Saint John than any other place in Newbrunswick by far.
My wife and I had dinner on Prince William Street last night. Most of the resturants were very busy. Temps were great so we walked around to enjoy what most city's in Atlantic Canada wish they had!
"You gotta live here to get it" !

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 8:44 PM

You are right in Charlottetown I wish we had what uptown Saint John has it is a spectacular area and again something even Halifax does not quite in the same way although Halifax is quite nice as well.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 2:28 AM

Just a couple facts:
Saint John has the highest average income out of any other city in the province. Which says a lot considering a huge portion of SJ's working population live in the suburbs.
The highest concentration of commercial art galleries in Atl Canada
The highest number of international immigrants in the province.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 9:02 PM

Summary of excitement and letdown

Posted: Jan 21, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
We were told of an upcoming announcement for the spring. Ten weeks from today brings us to April. I'd really like to see work begin this summer but it depends on when they plan on revealing their big mystery developer.
Posted: Feb 15, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownJeff View Post
Heard a rumour today - apparently the owners of businesses in Market Square had a meeting with the mayor - papers are all signed - just doing due diligence and announcement is set for 2 months from now. Lets see!
Posted: Jun 6, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabien View Post
Any updates or signs of movement on the waterfront? This is really a great exercise in patience! (although, I'm getting tired)
Posted: Jun 29, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Drummer View Post
Fingers and toes! Wow what extreme patience we need to exercise. This is way too drawn out for my liking. Time will tell, however, I'm still optimistic.
Posted: Jul 26, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw78 View Post
There is an article in the TJ today indicating Waterfront Development is "very, very close" to signing a deal with an announcement to come in September on who the developer is.
Posted: Aug 23, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
Looks like not much longer...

Any updates? There was supposed to be an announcement last month.... or is it September 2014 they were referring to when the TJ said "very very close".

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 6:59 PM

Well, here we are at the end of October and no news yet! I am still hopeful - the recent article about Moncton and their downtown core development will hopefully spur us on! We have so much to offer - 2 high end hotels, the pedway, the harbour, the general Uptown atmosphere. We don't need to spend what others may - upgrade the existing Convention facilities; modernize the pedway. Come on Saint John! Combine all of this with a new development on the COast Guard site and we should be able to attract all kinds of conventions!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:39 PM

I haven't heard a thing on this file for some time now?
This concerns me as if there was something about to happen, I usually hear.
I am thinking the worst as they may have lost the developer?
It seems like WD are putting up a smoke screen asking for input from citizens?
I really question this group sometimes!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is as agonizing as the downtown events centre is in Moncton. Here's hoping for the best!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2013, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
This is as agonizing as the downtown events centre is in Moncton. Here's hoping for the best!
You are right MR!
This has been going on far to long. Delay after delay.
This is why I have concerns. I knew the prevoius manager and he was very frustrated with this board.
Politics are very much involved here.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 11:48 AM

I spoke with the current manager during a meeting in SJDC's office less than a month ago and everything is still moving forward full steam on Fundy Quay, they just aren't prepared to have a public announcement yet, although I did get fed the line of expecting one before the holidays. We'll see if that holds true.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2013, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I spoke with the current manager during a meeting in SJDC's office less than a month ago and everything is still moving forward full steam on Fundy Quay, they just aren't prepared to have a public announcement yet, although I did get fed the line of expecting one before the holidays. We'll see if that holds true.
Everyone in the city has been fed that line before (see above).
I have my doubts!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Everyone in the city has been fed that line before (see above).
I have my doubts!
I will cheer the announcement once it happens. I realize there are many levels of red tape and many parties involved. A project of this nature always does. Patience runs short on waiting for projects like these. I believe it will happen in due time and when it does it will be worth it.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 12:28 AM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Drummer View Post
I will cheer the announcement once it happens. I realize there are many levels of red tape and many parties involved. A project of this nature always does. Patience runs short on waiting for projects like these. I believe it will happen in due time and when it does it will be worth it.
I agree.

I'd also rather see a quality development here with some tall buildings when the time is right (ie: economy) than to just build it for development's sake.

Maybe the pipeline thing will reignite confidence in the local economy where the dead refinery proposal left off.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 3:07 PM

The refinery project isn't completely dead, it still has a chance of a zombie-style reawakening

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 3:40 PM

Quote:
The refinery project isn't completely dead, it still has a chance of a zombie-style reawakening
Absolutely! The pipeline will bring over 1 Million barrels per day into Saint John. The current refineries capacity is around 300,000 barrels per day.

Refined oil has much higher profit margins. Not hard to see there is a business case worth exploring especially as we see India and China's consumption rising every year.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post

India and China's consumption rising every year.
How that makes a case for a new refinery here in SJ I'm not sure.

The primary market for Irving is Atlantic Canada and New England where demand has been steadily slipping over the last 10 years. Some could argue there is less of a market now (regardless of delivery method) than there was when the original refinery proposal was quashed.

Growing markets want the cheap crude not a refined product, so even if they considered shipping to India I can't see it.

I can however see some temporary work on the current refinery to accept the Bitumen.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Refined oil has much higher profit margins. Not hard to see there is a business case worth exploring especially as we see India and China's consumption rising every year.
Take a peak at some of the latest earnings estimates being released by some of the big multi nationals. Refining margins are down and are a drag on many company's bottom line.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 5:25 PM

2013 is quickly coming to an end ...

(my New Year's resolution: don't believe it when someone says 'an announcement will be made soon')

Here's hoping for a spectacular 2014 for all of New Brunswick!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 6:40 PM

Quote:
I did get fed the line of expecting one before the holidays. We'll see if that holds true.
Well they have 6 days left! I guess we can try to be optimistic!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 2:11 PM

Any ripples on the water?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:34 PM

I am hearing they lost the developer. Back to the drawing board I guess?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces