HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jun 17, 2023, 1:49 AM

The Draft Regional Plan site-specific requests list. I'm only posting the major urban location projects.

SPRYFIELD AREA

Corner of Twin Oakes Rd and Circle Drive. PIDs 00314856 & 00314500).

Request from Zzap Consulting to amend Halifax Mainland MPS and LUB to increase height and density limits and enable redevelopment for a 6-storey mult-unit development.

Number of housing units proposed by Applicant: 6-storey building containing 110 units.

The Draft Regional Plan identifies these lands as a Suburban Growth Area suitable for Rapid Transit Oriented Development.

240 Herring Cove Rd (PID 00311951). Corner of Herring Cove Road and Twin Oaks Road.

Request by West Cove Holdings Ltd for amendments that would permit redevelopment of this site with a 7-9 storey apartment building.

Number of housing units proposed by Applicant: The applicant has proposed approximately 50-60 units.

The Draft Regional Plan identifies these lands as a Suburban Growth Area suitable for Rapid Transit Oriented Development.

Corner of Mayor Ave and Layton Road, Spryfield, Halifax (PIDs 00312652, 00312934, 00312926)

Request by West Coast Holdings Ltd. For amendments that would permit redevelopment of this site with a 5-7 storey apartment building.

Number of housing units proposed by Applicant: Approximately 50-60 units.

DARTMOUTH

219 Main Street, Dartmouth (PID 40612228)

Request from Sunrose Land Use Consulting, on behalf of United Gulf Developments Limited, for amendments to the Dartmouth MPS to construct 1,037 residential units and approximately 125,000 sq. ft. commercial spaces.

Number of housing units proposed by Applicant: 1037 units

Regional Council will initiate the Suburban Plan process. Further detail on this site will be provided in that report.

EASTERN PASSAGE

Corner of Caldwell Road and Cow Bay Road (PIDs 40081176, 00373167, 00373142)

Request by Sunrose Land Use Consulting, on behalf of Gary Edwards, to construct two mixed-use buildings up to an 8 storey with 98 residential units, 12,000 sq. ft. of commercial spaces, and 134 parking spaces.

Number of housing units proposed by Applicant: 98 units.

As part of this review, staff propose to consider amendments to the Eastern Passage/Cow Bay MPS Policy UR-8 to allow multiunit dwellings with more than 12 units by development agreement; and repeal Policy UR-7(a) now that the infrastructure limitation is resolved.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jun 17, 2023 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The Draft Regional Plan site-specific requests list. I'm only posting the major urban location projects.

SPRYFIELD AREA

Corner of Twin Oakes Rd and Circle Drive. PIDs 00314856 & 00314500).

Request from Zzap Consulting to amend Halifax Mainland MPS and LUB to increase height and density limits and enable redevelopment for a 6-storey mult-unit development.

Number of housing units proposed by Applicant: 6-storey building containing 110 units.

240 Herring Cove Rd (PID 00311951). Corner of Herring Cove Road and Twin Oaks Road.

Request by West Cove Holdings Ltd for amendments that would permit redevelopment of this site with a 7-9 storey apartment building.

Number of housing units proposed by Applicant: The applicant has proposed approximately 50-60 units.

Corner of Mayor Ave and Layton Road, Spryfield, Halifax (PIDs 00312652, 00312934, 00312926)

Request by West Coast Holdings Ltd. For amendments that would permit redevelopment of this site with a 5-7 storey apartment building.

Number of housing units proposed by Applicant: Approximately 50-60 units.

DARTMOUTH

219 Main Street, Dartmouth (PID 40612228)

Request from Sunrose Land Use Consulting, on behalf of United Gulf Developments Limited, for amendments to the Dartmouth MPS to construct 1,037 residential units and approximately 125,000 sq. ft. commercial spaces.

Number of housing units proposed by Applicant: 1037 units

Regional Council will initiate the Suburban Plan process. Further detail on this site will be provided in that report.

EASTERN PASSAGE

Corner of Caldwell Road and Cow Bay Road (PIDs 40081176, 00373167, 00373142)

Request by Sunrose Land Use Consulting, on behalf of Gary Edwards, to construct two mixed-use buildings up to an 8 storey with 98 residential units, 12,000 sq. ft. of commercial spaces, and 134 parking spaces.

Number of housing units proposed by Applicant: 98 units.

As part of this review, staff propose to consider amendments to the Eastern Passage/Cow Bay MPS Policy UR-8 to allow multiunit dwellings with more than 12 units by development agreement; and repeal Policy UR-7(a) now that the infrastructure limitation is resolved.
1000 units must be a typo for the 219 Main Street? I saw they were selling that property a few years ago and had a rendering with two 8 story buildings and there was only 200 units total seems like way too many for that space.

(Also hello first post long time lurker I love reading about everything going on in hrm)

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledonia View Post
1000 units must be a typo for the 219 Main Street? I saw they were selling that property a few years ago and had a rendering with two 8 story buildings and there was only 200 units total seems like way too many for that space.

(Also hello first post long time lurker I love reading about everything going on in hrm)
Welcome to the forum,its a busy and very informative rabbit hole to jump into.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledonia View Post

Hello, welcome!

They are asking HRM to increase height caps on this site in light of the housing crisis, proximity to transit connections/schools/recreation and services (Village on Main) and the NSCC campus across the street.
They are proposing three 27-33 story residential towers and a 3 story commercial building.

There's actually a pdf with more info and a rendering of this on HRM's Shape Your City website, under the Regional Plan "New Requests" subsection.
Scroll down to the entry for Sunrose/MainStreet proposal, and click the more info link.

If anyone is more technically savvy than I, maybe they could post the rendering here. I am on a mobile browser and it's a pain to sort out image links.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 10:51 PM

I found it, thank you for the directions.I can’t post the link either, but I attached the link to the new requests section of shape your city.

I think that’s fantastic it isn’t a typo, this is a great place to add density, along with the proposal for just across Caledonia rd on Kahn dr

https://www.shapeyourcityhalifax.ca/...d/new-requests

Last edited by Caledonia; Jun 20, 2023 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 10:04 AM

Here is the rendering from the MPS application. The view is from the southeast corner of Main at Caledonia.

Source: Sunrose Land Use Consulting

A development of this size and scope would certainly be transformative for east Dartmouth. Surely, it would be a game-changer for the much-maligned Main Street corridor.

How unfortunate that the proposal comes from a developer with a track record of over-promising and under-delivering. Seventeen years and three development proposals (two of them approved) later, and still no sign of shovels in the ground at the corner of Hollis and Sackville. And no doubt their latest proposal for an 18-story residential building on the outskirts of Windsor (population: 5500) will occupy their attention for many years.

The Main Street site is 64 metres above the harbour; views from the top floors of those 33-storey towers would be expansive. As much as I'd love to see the project proceed -- I live in the neighbourhood -- I have no expectation at all that it will happen in my lifetime.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 11:40 AM

There appears to be some sort of "skywalk" linking two of the towers around the 20-25 storey level. I wonder what the purpose of that would be.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
There appears to be some sort of "skywalk" linking two of the towers around the 20-25 storey level. I wonder what the purpose of that would be.
Seems like it's to allow access to a rooftop common area from the other tower. I imagine there is a similar one from the tower on the left.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2023, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
Seems like it's to allow access to a rooftop common area from the other tower. I imagine there is a similar one from the tower on the left.
Ah - I should have thought of that,

Old Posted Jul 30, 2023, 3:46 PM

Residential Building Permit - New Building - Issued - 232 POCKWOCK RD, HAMMONDS PLAINS - $4,500,000 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 74 Units - 3 Floors - 74-unit Multi-unit Dwelling

Mixed Use & Commercial Building Permit - New Building - Issued - 77 LAKECREST DR, DARTMOUTH - $20'000'000- Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 104 Units - 7 Floors - Construct 104 Unit Dwelling

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jul 30, 2023 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 3:27 PM

Building permit issued;

~251 POCKWOCK ROAD, HAMMONDS PLAINS - Residential Building Permit - New Building - Issued - $11'795'327 - Dwelling - Multiple Units - Residential Use - 105 Units - 3 Floors - 105-unit seniors housing

This is immediately next to Whitehills Long Term Care Home and across the street from the building in my post above.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2023, 3:01 AM

Construction Management Plan - 509 Herring Cove Road

Small project in Spryfield getting underway across from the '500 Block'. While it is four floors (61 units) like most of Spryfield this has a small improvement by including underground parking and some rear parking accessed from an existing private lane.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 3:48 PM

Wedgewood redevelopment (Birch Cove).

4 Floors – 99 Units – Mixed Use – $17.8M – 10 Kearney Lake Road, Halifax

HalifaxDevelopments.ca (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Dec 30, 2023, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Wedgewood redevelopment (Birch Cove).

4 Floors – 99 Units – Mixed Use – $17.8M – 10 Kearney Lake Road, Halifax

HalifaxDevelopments.ca (Photo by David Jackson)
It seems that this site was always destined to be a development as it had already sat below grade... less excavation required?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 4:39 PM

Keshen Goodman Public Library renovations:

More info here: https://www.halifaxpubliclibraries.c...ation-2022-23/

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Proposed senior's living community in Uplands Park, Hammonds Plains; Case 23720 Development Agreement. It's for 24-townhouses and a 3-storey, 29-unit apartment building accessed off of Crestfield Drive.
This is approved and there is now a blasting permit issued to start construction of the new street. There is also a planning case that is seeking permission to build a new office building for Bower's Construction where the church is.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs