HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 8:25 PM
Space Magi

I don't know if this was shared here but the Point of the Mountain authority released its survey results back in October. The big winners, from what I can tell on a glance, are open space and transit. People seem to be opposed to turning it into Lehi 2.0 and many people want a regional park (myself included) instead of a big office complex.

Also, it looks like they've selected SOM to master plan the area. HOK did the previous master plan in 2018.

EDIT: I watched SOM's presentation in this recent video and was actually impressed. I'm very surprised this wasn't covered in the local news. Here are some screenshots from their early visioning (not exhaustive) and I highly recommend watching it yourself:

Last edited by Atlas; Feb 3, 2021 at 9:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:41 PM

Those are nice renderings. I would bet my entire yearly salary that it won't end up looking anywhere near that nice.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Those are nice renderings. I would bet my entire yearly salary that it won't end up looking anywhere near that nice.
And you'd win that bet.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 10:58 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerop View Post
Thanks Atlas, that sounds like some good potential for that area in particular, if it is done well. The retail hopefully will be a boost for the shops that are right over there already to the south. And hopefully it will be designed with good planning for that area of 900 E, it already can get so congested over there during good chunks of the day, but I'm sure that with the right planning that can be overcome and make it a great addition to the area over there, certainly better than the vacant buildings sitting there now. Thanks for digging and finding that info for me.
No problem. I actually used to live right by there and I'm glad to see that vacant store and parking lot turned into something useful.

Also, I came across a site plan for the development today:

Source (bigger version available in brochure)

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 3:16 PM

Big bucks Utah terrain coming next season - Major Ski Resort For The Uber Wealthy Coming to Northern Utah (Ogden, Morgan County Area).

Wasatch R anch Club skiing for '21-22. Courtesy, Mirr Ranch Group photo

OnTheSnow.com - https://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/637...ng-next-season

...But, when the Wasatch Ranch Club opens its ski terrain in Utah next December, as Ski Area Management (SAM) magazine is reporting, it plans to attack your wallet with gusto and all bets are off.

The Ranch Club will be larger than luxurious Deer Valley and will have only half the number of member/residents who are part of the Yellowstone Club, the other exclusive enclave in Montana. “This is a resort being built for the 1 percent of the richest 1 percent,” Utah’s KPOA radio opined as it interviewed Ranch President Bob Weaton.

Recognize the name? Weaton was Chief Operating Officer for Deer Valley for about 20 years, leading it to regularly being chosen as the best ski resort in America by magazine and website polls. There are reportedly 10 owner/investors in the ranch from across the globe, one of those being Lessing Stern, son of Deer Valley founder Edgar Stern. The ranch property was originally listed for a sale price of $42 million.

Pay dearly to play

Club membership pricing hasn’t been publicly released yet, but it will most likely top that of the Yellowstone Club which currently demands an upfront fee of $300,000, owning a condo ($4 million-plus) or private home ($5 million-plus), along with an annual “season pass” or dues topping $30,000.

But, if you’ve got the juice, the Wasatch Ranch Club will deliver mind-boggling excitement for skiers (anglers, hikers, golfers, and whatever else attracts you to pristine wilderness) as it builds out over the next 10-15 years.

First there’s the location. The ranch is only 35 minutes from Salt Lake City and, if you still need a ski fix after all that sliding, Snowbasin (where the price tag is significantly more doable) is only 10 minutes away. Ogden Airport is 15 minutes should you have your own private jet. Few Morgan County residents will be able to afford membership, so it will be mostly a community of second homes.

Heated seats and bubbles

The club’s total playground rolls over 12,750 acres and that includes some 3,000 skiable acres with a 3,600 foot vertical. Leitner-Poma of America plans to begin construction this spring on the first two chairlifts — both high speed quads. Members will be pampered with high-speed quads, planned with carriers that feature heated seats and bubbles.

The two new chairlifts together will provide access to 1,650 acres of terrain, with a top elevation of about 9,500 feet. One lift will be 8,000 feet long, so those bubbles will be welcome. Nine lifts are planned by buildout.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 20, 2021 at 12:59 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 11:02 PM

This apartment building in Draper (I-15 & 12300 So area) was announced so long ago I thought I imagined it, but it’s finally being built.

I’ve been meaning to take a photo for a while.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
This apartment building in Draper (I-15 & 12300 So area) was announced so long ago I thought I imagined it, but it’s finally being built.

Is the slaughterhouse still north of this site? I imagine the "Draper Vapor" could be interesting for these future residents...

**UPDATE** I just looked at the county assessor site and "Triview Apartment Associates" owns the whole strip of land to 12300 south. I guess I haven't paid enough attention there.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 11:19 PM
Space Magi

The developer of the Radisson Blu in Sandy has updated their website. There are some new details and renderings of the rooftop amenities. Looks like Sandy will be getting that killer rooftop dining experience before SLC proper (unless the CCH has a rooftop restaurant, which I'm unsure about). Luckily, SLC does have a few projects with potential highrise restaurant spaces like this on the horizon (West Quarter, Main Street Apartments, maybe Worthington Tower).

Quote:
Radisson Blu at The Summit in Sandy, Utah, is a 14 floor, 235 room hotel with a planned 264,542 square feet. Currently in development, this luxurious hotel is situated in the Salt Lake Valley’s most active suburban core of Sandy, Utah with magnificent views of the Wasatch and Oquirrh mountain ranges. Featuring masterful attention to detail and a level of service recognized world-wide, the Radisson Blu will welcome its guests with exceptional accommodations, top floor residential luxury condominiums, roof-top bar, lounge, spa, a gym, and swimming pool. Radisson Blu will be surrounded by office, retail, entertainment and residential units.
  • Rooftop Pool & Bar
  • 235 Premium Hotel Rooms
  • 18 Owned Condos
  • 360 Degree Mountain Views

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 10:35 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Luckily, SLC does have a few projects with potential highrise restaurant spaces like this on the horizon (West Quarter, Main Street Apartments, maybe Worthington Tower).
I wouldn't hold my breath on Worthington. Rooftop commercial poses a lot of challenges for multifamily buildings as it can be detrimental to resident experience. The alternative is a dedicated entrance and elevator, but that cost can quickly erode the ROI on that type of space.

This would be possible for a project like Regent Street that has a hotel and condo component, but I still view that as unlikely. While the CCH isn't as tall as other projects, a hotel is a good place for public rooftop space.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post

Here's another view of the Triview Apartments next to I-15. This complex will have 448 units! Just doing a brief surf of complexes going up in the Salt Lake Valley it seems like we're not even scratching the surface of covering their construction progress. The numbers are amazing. There has got to be a lot of labor coming in from out of state. I can't imagine that the local Wasatch Front contractors could even begin to handle the numbers currently going up. It will be interesting to see the incoming migration and how they transfer from apartments to houses. All of these new residents wanting a home are having to rent apartments until builders are able to fill their single-family residential orders. Daybreak must be getting pretty sizable by now. Has that new pre-planned city out on the far west side (ugh, can't remember the name) worked out its infrastructure challenges with the locals?

Making a mark in Draper is the Tri View Apartments. It will be a home for many with 500,717 Sq. Ft. and 448 units.
Instead of separate buildings it’s one large complex with five levels of residential space over two levels of concrete parking structure.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 15, 2021 at 5:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2021, 5:34 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Here's another view of the Triview Apartments next to I-15. This complex will have 448 units! Just doing a brief surf of complexes going up in the Salt Lake Valley it seems like we're not even scratching the surface of covering their construction progress. The numbers are amazing. There has got to be a lot of labor coming in from out of state. I can't imagine that the local Wasatch Front contractors could even begin to handle the numbers currently going up. It will be interesting to see the incoming migration and how they transfer from apartments to houses. All of these new residents wanting a home are having to rent apartments until builders are able to fill their single-family residential orders. Daybreak must be getting pretty sizable by now. Has that new pre-planned city out on the far west side (ugh, can't remember the name) worked out its infrastructure challenges with the locals?

Making a mark in Draper is the Tri View Apartments. It will be a home for many with 500,717 Sq. Ft. and 448 units.
Instead of separate buildings it’s one large complex with five levels of residential space over two levels of concrete parking structure.
Slaughter House Estates. Sounds like a winner. They really out to move that processing facility elswhere.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Although, I think its important to remember that a world renowned firm designing an unprecedented solution for the Point of the Mountain at the very VERY least will shift the inevitable watered down version a little bit further in the right direction.

Better analogy - Propose a 10 story building and it gets built to 3 stories. Propose a 40 story building and then it gets built to 10 stories.

There's something to be said about intentionally working within the bounds or constraints of a project to make it "good" while still realistic, but there's also something to be said about pushing the limit in order to shift the status quo a little bit more in the right direction. Obviously most projects wouldn't fit the bill, and that approach often prevents it from happening in the first place. However, for a project like the Point of the Mountain where there is so much push to MAKE it happen no matter what, then I think this is a fitting approach. And I'm sure SOM knows this... that's what they do.

Perhaps it's optimistic but I don't think they would hire one of the top (and most expensive) design firms on the planet if they didn't have some level of intention to actually implement what they propose, even on a simplified level. What are your thoughts?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 10:48 PM

I agree with what you're saying Wasatch. It stands to reason that this will be an area developed in a way that is above the average suburban outcome. After all, the desired outcome is exclusivity on many levels. The level of sophistication of the Wasatch market has progressed significantly since the days of Bluffdale and Lehi Farmville. This area will cater to a very demanding clientele, and the development outcomes will have to match those clients' demands.
Think of a Park City/Deer Valley/mountain techy version of L.A.'s Century City.

I wonder if there are a number of people like me who look at that west bench around Camp Williams and its future development. I think that Camp Williams will have to make some adjustments to its uses. It probably already has seen the writing on the wall now. That bench around Camp Williams and the NSA Center is screaming potential. Its perfectly gradual incline and the jaw-dropping views of the Wasatch and Utah Lake/Valley from that vantage guarantee that it won't be long before prime housing is established there. It will happen in much the same way that it progressed along some of the more suitable eastern benches in the Salt Lake Valley. Just a thought, prediction.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 21, 2021 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 6:08 AM

I can agree it will be nicer than your average suburban development. Whether it will be as nice as it looks in the renderings though, we'll just have to wait and see.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 2:51 PM

New Murray City Hall - https://www.murray.utah.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=905

The vision for the new Murray City Hall is to become the emotional heart of Murray City. This will be accomplished by providing a place that is unique to Murray City and more than just a building. The exterior spaces and the building will work together to accomplish this goal. The Project will celebrate Murray’s independent spirit by providing a unique design that creates a destination and reinforces the strong identity of Murray. The Project will be inclusive and welcoming to the community and celebrate the accessibility and transparency of the Murray City government. It will be responsibly designed with functionality and sustainability at the forefront of every decision. The project will also be a catalyst for economic development in the surrounding area and help Murray City realize its Central District Master Plan.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 3:08 PM
Space Magi

I like that design. It's postmodern but still retains a kind of authoritative, government feel.

It's much better than some of the tacky city halls around the valley, like in West Jordan and Sandy for example. SLC and Ogden have the best city hall buildings by far, of course.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 2:43 PM

CW Urban - Coming Fall 2021 - The Pearl at 4647 South Jordan Parkway, South Jordan 84095

- 89 Apartments

- 1 to 3 Bedrooms, 1 to 2 1/2 Baths

- 740 - 1457 Sq. ft. finished

- 13 floor plans

https://builtbycw.com/our-projects/thepearl/

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 1:29 AM

I was down on 33rd South the other day and decided to take a walk around to see how the Millcreek downtown and South Salt Lake library developments are coming along, and the answer is they are coming along very well, so here's a picture update for you guys.

It's pretty long so I'll put them in spoilers.

Millcreek City Center

Granite Library and Townhomes

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 1:32 AM

4100 S. Redwood. Taylorsville, Utah

By deejaxon76 on Flickr

By deejaxon76 on Flickr

By deejaxon76 on Flickr

By deejaxon76 on Flickr
I thought I followed everything correctly to post photos

Last edited by DeeJaxon76; May 5, 2021 at 1:36 AM. Reason: Thought I followed everything correctly!!

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 2:41 AM
Space Magi

find a link for your images that looks like this:

https://live.staticflickr.com/5571/1...03158d90_h.jpg

and then wrap it in [IMG] [/IMG] tags.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West