HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 12:27 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Montreal has cruise ship docking facilities too doesn't it?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 12:33 AM
R2-D2's army of death

I'd like to see a summer or winter Olympics in a fairly large Canadian city that hasn't hosted before. Cities like Ottawa, Edmonton, or Quebec.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I think the next Olympics should be a summer Olympics in Toronto. Toronto is growing into a wonderful city, but this is a relatively new phenomenon and most people's ideas about any place they're fairly unfamiliar with are outdated by at least a decade. The Olympics would do amazing things to showcase Toronto to the world, and it'd be the kind of event that would spur the real intelligent city building and visions Toronto needs right now. I think that it also might do quite a bit to spur civic pride and, I hope, civic identity building. It also has the infrastructure and population to host an Olympics and make good use of any Olympic legacy structures for years to come.
I don't know, it would have to be executed perfectly if Toronto wants to minimize all the risks typically attendant to hosting the Olympics, like having a major drain on finances, massive structures that are never used after the Olympics, and complete gridlock during the Olympics.

I grew up in the GTA, so I definitely love the city and want to see it get international acclaim. But frankly, I'd rather see the city use its finances prudently to fund much needed infrastructure projects, especially public transit. I'd take more subway lines over an Olympics any day.

And yeah, hosting the Olympics might spur those kinds of projects, but more often than not it seems to lead to cities taking a huge hit financially, and cities prioritizing the Olympics over ordinary folks in need.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
cities prioritizing the Olympics over ordinary folks in need.
As it should be

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
As it should be
Why?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:23 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
So they now have Almaty where you don't even have Google Streetview or Beijing. I can just see where this is going if and when Hong Kong blows up over the protests right now.
Other than lack of streetview, which surprisingly is not a requirement for hosting an Olympic games, what other issues are there with Kazakhstan? They've hosted the Asian Games before, are a relatively growing country with an improving economy, and are rather wintry. Borat jokes aside I don't see much wrong with it, personally.

The IOC working group ranked Almaty particularly low in a few aspects of their bid (Olympic Village, "Sports Experience", and "Energy"), so the bid will probably be given to Beijing regardless unless something startling happens.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 1:48 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Toronto for summer olympics. (within next 25 years)
Quebec City for winter olympics. (within next 35 years). Truly one of the world's greatest winter cities.

that's it. sorry Calgary, Montreal, and Vancouver, but it's time to let another Canadian city to have a moment in the Olympic limelight.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Toronto for summer olympics. (within next 25 years)
Quebec City for winter olympics. (within next 35 years). Truly one of the world's greatest winter cities.

that's it. sorry Calgary, Montreal, and Vancouver, but it's time to let another Canadian city to have a moment in the Olympic limelight.
Agreed.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 2:14 AM

Québec city's Mayor Regis Labeaume says he's not going to propose the city as a candiate for the winter games. He doesn't feel that we could win.
He want to be sure to win before spending millions of dollars for this.

Maybe the next mayor will be more open for this, who knows.

But Québec city is indeed one of the greatest winter city. No discussion about that. Winter games or not.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 2:15 AM

About using Jasper for an Edmonton winter bid... why would be the Jasper trip be prohibitive? The 1976 Montreal Olympics had its sailing events in Kingston. Kingston-Montreal is about the same distance as Edmonton-Jasper. Is it that downhill skiing is a much higher profile event for winter (relatively speaking) than sailing is for summer? (Genuinely don't know the answer to that, sports is not my area of expertise at all).

The last Toronto bid proposed using Kingston for sailing, too, it was on the local news here.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I think it's not worth the investment now...

But, surely a city the size of TO or MTL could find SOME way to continue using the facilities afterwards? And it'd be a great way to show off Canada in an urban way that most people don't associate with us. Not saying they don't know we have cities... they do. But they expect Sound of Music, Brady Bunch cities. Something proper big, with all of the positive and negative that implies, would be a great showcase for us.

I'd support either bid, even funded through federal taxes.
I think Vancouver actually did a very good job of this.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:28 AM

The Summer Olympics have always been the domain of VERY large cities (by Canadian standards).

Tokyo, Rio, London, Beijing...heck, Athens and Atlanta are on the low end and their metros are over 4 million.

Cities like Edmonton or Ottawa are wonderful candidates for the Commonwealth Games (and Edmonton is bidding for the 2022 games) but they're completely unrealistic as far as a Summer Olympics bid goes.

Someone threw out the idea of a high speed rail link to Jasper from Edmonton for an Olympics...perhaps that be the one way to actually get us high speed rail in this province, hosting a huge event like the Olympics? Maybe an Alberta bid overall with indoor events (hockey, curling, figure skating, etc) split between Calgary and Edmonton, and the mountain events being held in Jasper and Banff/Lake Louise? Perhaps that's a bit ambitious for a Winter Olympics geography-wise, but high-speed rail links between these places would definitely make it more viable.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
The Summer Olympics have always been the domain of VERY large cities (by Canadian standards).

Tokyo, Rio, London, Beijing...heck, Athens and Atlanta are on the low end and their metros are over 4 million.

Cities like Edmonton or Ottawa are wonderful candidates for the Commonwealth Games (and Edmonton is bidding for the 2022 games) but they're completely unrealistic as far as a Summer Olympics bid goes.

Someone threw out the idea of a high speed rail link to Jasper from Edmonton for an Olympics...perhaps that be the one way to actually get us high speed rail in this province, hosting a huge event like the Olympics? Maybe an Alberta bid overall with indoor events (hockey, curling, figure skating, etc) split between Calgary and Edmonton, and the mountain events being held in Jasper and Banff/Lake Louise? Perhaps that's a bit ambitious for a Winter Olympics geography-wise, but high-speed rail links between these places would definitely make it more viable.
The high speed rail to Jasper is an excellent idea! After the Olympics, the hundreds of thousands of people that commute daily from Jasper to Edmonton for work can use it and cut their travel times by half.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
The high speed rail to Jasper is an excellent idea! After the Olympics, the hundreds of thousands of people that commute daily from Jasper to Edmonton for work can use it and cut their travel times by half.
Almost as busy as the millions who commute from Toronto to Ottawa daily.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 12:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
If the population projections come true, there could be millions, perhaps hundreds of millions, doing that commute every day. Back home in time for curling.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:13 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
I don't know, it would have to be executed perfectly if Toronto wants to minimize all the risks typically attendant to hosting the Olympics, like having a major drain on finances, massive structures that are never used after the Olympics, and complete gridlock during the Olympics.

I grew up in the GTA, so I definitely love the city and want to see it get international acclaim. But frankly, I'd rather see the city use its finances prudently to fund much needed infrastructure projects, especially public transit. I'd take more subway lines over an Olympics any day.

And yeah, hosting the Olympics might spur those kinds of projects, but more often than not it seems to lead to cities taking a huge hit financially, and cities prioritizing the Olympics over ordinary folks in need.
I agree with everything you're saying, but Canada seems to do a good job of avoiding the pitfalls you outline in the last paragraph. We're not China or Russia.

It's almost inevitable that the summer Olympics will come back to Canada within the next 20-30 years. When it does, it will be Toronto. As you alluded to, the Olympics does spur politicians to action. There's nothing like being embarrassed before the world to get politicians on the same page and get things done instead of debating endlessly about it.

The only possible white elephant for Toronto would be the Olympic Stadium, but even there we can avoid that if we're smart about it. Commission a 80,000 seater that will be down sized to 40,000 (and no athletics track) immediately after the Olympics. The NFL fantasy needs to put to rest and attention focused on the sports franchises we do have.... not some team in a foreign league that may never materialize.

An intimate 40,000 seat football specific stadium for the Argonauts and we're golden.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:17 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post

If Quebec City can figure the downhill course out hey should be a no brainer. Tie in a new stadium for the ceremonies with a CFL expansion team as well.
If Finland can contemplate building a mountain for the downhill events, QC can certainly add 100-200m to a mountain that's a little too short.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
If Finland can contemplate building a mountain for the downhill events, QC can certainly add 100-200m to a mountain that's a little too short.
Precisely. Quebec City is the obvious choice for the next Canadian host of a Winter Olympics.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 3:59 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I agree with everything you're saying, but Canada seems to do a good job of avoiding the pitfalls you outline in the last paragraph. We're not China or Russia.

It's almost inevitable that the summer Olympics will come back to Canada within the next 20-30 years. When it does, it will be Toronto. As you alluded to, the Olympics does spur politicians to action. There's nothing like being embarrassed before the world to get politicians on the same page and get things done instead of debating endlessly about it.

The only possible white elephant for Toronto would be the Olympic Stadium, but even there we can avoid that if we're smart about it. Commission a 80,000 seater that will be down sized to 40,000 (and no athletics track) immediately after the Olympics. The NFL fantasy needs to put to rest and attention focused on the sports franchises we do have.... not some team in a foreign league that may never materialize.

An intimate 40,000 seat football specific stadium for the Argonauts and we're golden.
Oh is that ever true. It's the same way if i want to get stuff done around the house I'll ivite company over because I'll get way more things accomplished than I otherwise would. Nothing like having a fixed deadline and the threat of embarassment to spur one to take action!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2014, 4:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Brilliant idea. lol I'm stealing it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada