HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 8:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
Construction started last January and completion is estimated for 2022.

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/le-columbia

Despite what Buzzbuzz home is saying, this building is indeed in Gatineau, not Ottawa. I'm glad to see that the Hull downtown area is getting more popular.
Le Columbia actually isn't downtown, though it is in a central part of Hull.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 8:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soi-Fon View Post
Too bad the Bloome condos, right next to the Maxi got blocked.
Hopefully it will be resurrected in some form.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 5:07 PM
Mooderator

This is awesome.. I had no idea they started construction, and I created this thread eons ago.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 5:12 PM
Mooderator

Photos from their website (Feb. 20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIGIL
The retaining wall of Columbia Farm is finalized, as well as the shoring wall. The excavation is still ongoing – the objective is to reach the 3rd underground storey within a week. Hydro installation is ongoing.
Update as of February 20, 2020.

http://www.brigil.com/le-columbia-en

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 1:13 PM

Progress on Le Columbia:

13 février 2021

Conjuguer le passé et le futur

CONTENU COMMANDITÉ

Construite en 1835, la maison de pierre de l’ancienne ferme Columbia sur le boulevard St-Joseph à Gatineau s’affiche en contraste devant le chantier qui voit naître aujourd’hui l’édifice gracieux et ultramoderne qui portera son nom: Le Columbia.

Si le bâtiment patrimonial a été préservé, c’est en grande partie grâce à la vision d’un garçon de 14 ans. Gilles Desjardins accompagnait ses parents au restaurant niché dans ces murs de pierre quand il a eu son premier coup de foudre pour l’endroit.

Plusieurs années plus tard, les célébrations du 200e anniversaire de l’ancienne ville de Hull ravivent son intérêt pour l’histoire du fondateur de la ville, Philémon Wright, qui a déjà vécu à la ferme Columbia.

Le promoteur immobilier revisite le site devenu disponible à l’achat au tournant des années 2000; c’est alors qu’il a une vision: celle d’incorporer l’édifice historique dans un faubourg à haute densité.

Un peu d’histoire

« Initialement, je cherchais un endroit pour établir le siège social de Brigil », raconte-t-il. « À l’époque, je voulais construire une tour de 20 à 30 étages, mais le zonage limitait la construction à seulement 6 étages. Entre 2007 et 2016, notre architecte Barry Palowski a présenté une série d’esquisses à la ville. J’ai été patient parce que je croyais en ma vision. Puis, à l’automne 2016, nous avons finalement eu l’autorisation pour construire une tour de 20 étages d’habitations haut de gamme », explique l’homme d’affaires.

Dans tout projet d’envergure, les promoteurs ont l’habitude de mettre une œuvre d’art généralement bien à la vue à l’entrée. Dans le cas du Columbia, c’est l’ancien bâtiment patrimonial qui joue ce rôle à la perfection. Si l’endroit a connu plusieurs vocations, Gilles Desjardins caresse l’idée d’en faire un lieu de rencontre d’artistes, une sorte de café-bistro avec scène; la parcelle de terrain entre la maison de pierres et l’immeuble adjacent va accueillir un espace public, et la terrasse qui entoure la ferme pourrait être animée par un bistro.

Une vision d’avenir

Aujourd’hui, Brigil compte réserver l’usage de la tour entièrement à l’habitation. Le Columbia est davantage un faubourg urbain qu’une simple tour d’habitation: à terme, on y trouvera des restaurants et commerces de proximité. « En 2006, on me croyait un peu fou de vouloir faire de la haute densité sur le boulevard St-Joseph », se souvient-il, « mais la suite m’a donné raison. Ces nouveaux milieux de vie font place au transport collectif, aux trottoirs plus larges. J’espère que d’autres promoteurs embrasseront cette vision de développement pour la plus importante artère commerciale à Gatineau. »

https://www.ledroit.com/la-vitrine/c...181409a4ad98ac

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 1:14 PM

Barry Padolsky, not Palowski. But again, for those who think the current mayor is anti-development, it's under him that the height of 20 floors was approved.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Barry Padolsky, not Palowski. But again, for those who think the current mayor is anti-development, it's under him that the height of 20 floors was approved.
I don't think anyone is saying he is "anti-development". I think some are implying that he's just a bit of an idiot that doesn't understand urban planning or city building.

He will support a car-centric high-rise, beside a freeway, attached to arguably Gatineau's most historic building, but will appose a landmark high-rise project downtown because he wants to preserve the dilapidated rooming houses and parking lots of Vieux-Hull.

Is the plan to keep this neighbourhood from evolving forever just to keep it looking like this? There is almost no historic architectural value to these homes. Maybe they should deem the Kruger toilet paper mill historic as well, so we can stare at that eyesore for another 100 years. Sometime Gatineau is its own worst enemy.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 2:18 PM

Restore the historic residential buildings and develop the parking lots, and this could become quite an attractive area. I could see it become another Vieux-Hull or Vieux-Aylmer.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Restore the historic residential buildings and develop the parking lots, and this could become quite an attractive area. I could see it become another Vieux-Hull or Vieux-Aylmer.
Yes, developing the parking lots worked out very well one block over. The homes fit right in and you can barely tell they aren't 100 years old. (sarcasm) The downtown core is the place for height and density, not single family homes. It's too bad Gatineau lacks vision for it's downtown.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 2:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNerd View Post
Yes, developing the parking lots worked out very well one block over. The homes fit right in and you can barely tell they aren't 100 years old. (sarcasm) The downtown core is the place for height and density, not single family homes. It's too bad Gatineau lacks vision for it's downtown.

Those are not single-family homes.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Those are not single-family homes.
Yes, thank you for pointing that out. I was referring to the previous photo. These are stacked multi-units that are meant to give the appearance of being a single family home. Through horrendous architecture they have somehow managed to cheapen the neighbourhood even further.

Mind boggling that some would prefer this over Douglas Cardinal designed landmark towers that finally put Gatineau on a map.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 3:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I honestly don't know what the solution is.

But towers aren't a sure-fire win for street life. Further to the east Port de Plaisance, Le Viu and Lofts Héritage haven't done much of anything for the stretch of Laurier they're on.

They are mostly drive-in, drive-out condo buildings from what I gather.

Place des Peuples may very well have been the same type of thing had it been built.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I honestly don't know what the solution is.

But towers aren't a sure-fire win for street life. Further to the east Port de Plaisance, Le Viu and Lofts Héritage haven't done much of anything for the stretch of Laurier they're on.

They are mostly drive-in, drive-out condo buildings from what I gather.

Place des Peuples may very well have been the same type of thing had it been built.
I don't know if the buildings themselves can add to street life but the cumulative resident count surely must help no? I would think a big chunk of those residents walk to work and are ready to walk somewhere for dinner etc if there were more options. They are also that much further from the commercial part of Hull and that much closer to the byward market.

I suppose the point of those both against and for the project are it would lead to more towers later.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoNerd View Post

That's a bad example from nearly two decades ago before we started seeing significant development in our central cities. I doubt we will ever see anything like that again.

Ottawa has similar suburban looking buildings in Centretown from around that era as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4144...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 9:01 PM

It's nice to see that one going up!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 12:28 PM

So far, it does not look like the renderings with those small windows.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 1:13 PM

It's amazing how prominent this is from so many angles. It looks to be about a floor from topping out.

Photo_6553913_DJI_313_jpg_4476841_0_202151214930_photo_original by harley613, on Flickr
Photo_6553914_DJI_314_jpg_4327969_0_2021512141010_photo_original by harley613, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 10:49 PM

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 8:19 PM

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to seeing the cladding. I predict Brigil black and beige. It may end up looking a lot like their building on St-Laurent.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4457...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 2:25 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

I walked all the way from Hurdman to grab these shots along with Viu2 so somebody, someday owes me a friggin pint. Even if its a half warm Old Milwaukee that fell into your spare tire well after soccer practice.

I'm really curious to see how that element on the left side of the building here and the top of the roof will turn out.

Not sure how to feel about this one. The side facing Ottawa seems very meh. We have the one corner of the building with a little pizzaz I suppose. We'll see how she goes.

Given it's prominence I would have expected a little more on the Ottawa facing side. Brigil isn't usually a total shyster either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa