Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
In the case of all of Chicago's black Miesian towers they literally were designed to look good in cold weather. The color black during the early Modernist period was popular because it hid the industrial grime that so blighted older stone and terra cotta towers (mainly coal soot) and also because it contrasted grey dreary skies and snow so well. The idea was to make the tower pop against a backdrop of clouds.
Neat fact.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
In the case of all of Chicago's black Miesian towers they literally were designed to look good in cold weather. The color black during the early Modernist period was popular because it hid the industrial grime that so blighted older stone and terra cotta towers (mainly coal soot) and also because it contrasted grey dreary skies and snow so well. The idea was to make the tower pop against a backdrop of clouds.
Neat factoid

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 8:55 PM

One of my favorite thoughts it to ponder what people must have thought the first time they saw super early modernist towers like 860-880 LSD back when they were first built. Think how radical an all glass and steel box painted intentionally black must have looked in a city entirely occupied by soot stained masonry buildings. Just incredibly bold in context.

Today it's easy to forget how special buildings like that were at the time given the flood of knockoffs that followed But when you consider the context of the times, it's easy to see why people were so instantly attracted to post war modernism and how they were able to allow absolute architectural treasures to be cast aside for progress.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
One of my favorite thoughts it to ponder what people must have thought the first time they saw super early modernist towers like 860-880 LSD back when they were first built. Think how radical an all glass and steel box painted intentionally black must have looked in a city entirely occupied by soot stained masonry buildings. Just incredibly bold in context.

Today it's easy to forget how special buildings like that were at the time given the flood of knockoffs that followed But when you consider the context of the times, it's easy to see why people were so instantly attracted to post war modernism and how they were able to allow absolute architectural treasures to be cast aside for progress.
And now we've evolved into this:

Bonus River Canyon:

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 6:12 PM

I couldn't help myself. I had some flight time credit with built up with my provider, and my wife and I were able to schedule a last-minute helicopter flight to get some shots of the iced over lake. We flew doors off, but considering what we went through the previous few days, it wasn't that bad up there.

We did a few big lazy loops over the city/lake, so I didn't really get any close shots over Vista, but it made its way into plenty of photos. Conditions were challenging. Much hazier then I would have expected, but I assumer the 'warmer' 15° air may have added some humidity back into the atmosphere.

My wife got some great Vista shoot shooting with her 28-300mm. Once she gets some uploaded, I'll share 'em

Forgot these from earlier in the day:

Last edited by vexxed82; Feb 3, 2019 at 6:18 PM. Reason: added photos

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 6:17 PM

Gorgeous as always!! Thanks for sharing. Also..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
I had some flight time credit with built up with my provider
I am quite jealous at the moment

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 6:27 PM

well damn

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
Gorgeous as always!! Thanks for sharing. Also..

I am quite jealous at the moment
Thanks so much! I 'sold' them some large-scale artwork for their walls in exchange for flight tine. I don't usually like to barter, but in this case, it made complete sense.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 6:32 PM

Damn dude!!!

Bravo

Puts the little shit I'm about to post to shame...

01/31/19

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 6:45 PM

Beautiful shots Nick, wow!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 9:10 PM

Flight credits sound so much better than me having some coffee credits stored up to use on my next dunkin coffee...that 1st shot is awesome Nick. others aren't to bad either. 8)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 9:32 PM

Incredible updates! Thanks everyone! It is wild that there are still issues with the balcony glass but overall the glass looks awesome. The shades are becoming very prominent, no doubt when fully enclosed this will be recognizable on an international scale.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 10:00 PM

Amazing shots! Seriously.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 11:47 PM

So, I know we all are already big fans of the glass, but I've been taking unscientific public gauging on how people feel about the glass and let me just say... it's not good.

Most people think it looks "tacky", "ugly", "messy", and "confusing". And to be honest, I kind of get where they are coming from at this point. I do think once it is a cohesive set of glass, it'll look good, but "they" have a point (right now).

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
So, I know we all are already big fans of the glass, but I've been taking unscientific public gauging on how people feel about the glass and let me just say... it's not good.

Most people think it looks "tacky", "ugly", "messy", and "confusing". And to be honest, I kind of get where they are coming from at this point. I do think once it is a cohesive set of glass, it'll look good, but "they" have a point (right now).
Let's ask them when it's finished

The general consensus among non-skyscraper-nerds is that buildings which are under construction are super ugly and should just be finished already. I hope that the only reason your survey returned unfavorable results is for this reason, that they are unable to picture the finished product, grand entrance and riverwalk infrastructure included

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 1:56 AM

Good point and well said. I'm sure it's because there are random panels missing and no uniformity. Contrast it to how smooth and uniform WPE glass setting has gone, you truly have to envision the big/finished picture with Vista to appreciate the glass design and look.

Also very random but MOD's why is the rendering for this thread still that awful first edition?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 1:59 AM

Feb 01

Somebody was asking about the hole in the floor - appears to have been from one of the tower cranes.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:08 AM
Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post

Perhaps they're referring to the color/color variation on the glass? I have to say, that is a pretty vivid shade of aqua (especially at the outermost points).

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 3:45 AM

It was a beautiful night for a walk downtown. Even with no lights, there's impact on the river at night. She's gonna be something special.

Also, that day picture definitely shows the glass variation and transition is getting smoother, but like others said, missing glass panels can throw a rut into it very easily. So far, I prefer how it looks with clouds over sunlight, but there haven't been many sunny days, so who knows?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Feb 01

Somebody was asking about the hole in the floor - appears to have been from one of the tower cranes.
There was never a crane in that position, the holes are probably for MEP

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture