HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 2:21 AM

It looks so barren now. Not sure why they had to cut down nearly all the trees:

(Google Street View)

It is good to see the developers thinking about how to integrate Purdy's Wharf with the future Cogswell development though. Purdy's has always felt weirdly suburban.

It would be nice to see the giant parking garage redeveloped someday. As it stands, the main walking route between the "Cogswell District" and the harbourfront is going to be this bleak street between the two parking garages:

(Google Street View)

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 3:29 PM

Has COVID delayed the timeline of the demolishing and redevlopment of the area? Last I recall they wanted to start around this time

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 4:40 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolteN View Post
Has COVID delayed the timeline of the demolishing and redevlopment of the area? Last I recall they wanted to start around this time
There was a bunch of Cogswell demo work to be included in this year's budget and it was cut. So it sounds like it'll probably be delayed by another year.

I think this was a mistake because the past few months have been an ideal time to hire workers, get traffic disruptions over with, and stimulate the economy. Not sure if council will reconsider this.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 6:50 PM

Only way Council will speed up the timetable now is if some single-issue woke activist convinces them that Cogswell was a white racist colonialist monster and threatens to blow up the interchange because of the mental anguish it causes.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 7:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Only way Council will speed up the timetable now is if some single-issue woke activist convinces them that Cogswell was a white racist colonialist monster and threatens to blow up the interchange because of the mental anguish it causes.
If only it had been called the Cornwallis Interchange.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
LOL... but also, I don't think it's too far-fetched to tie the we-know-best clearance of slums to colonial mindsets.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
LOL... but also, I don't think it's too far-fetched to tie the we-know-best clearance of slums to colonial mindsets.
Ironically, it was considered progressive thinking at the time to relocate people into better, newer places to live. Now that is deemed racist.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2020, 10:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Ironically, it was considered progressive thinking at the time to relocate people into better, newer places to live. Now that is deemed racist.
Yeah, I think this fact is often lost. It was mostly progressive at the time and the new residents of the projects were not necessarily against them.

The UK had similar housing projects in the north of England to house the largely English-born working class of the 1950's and 60's. I don't know how that could be called colonialist. Many other countries followed the same approach at that time. It had more to do with central planning than anything else, with communist countries engaging in the largest scale redevelopments. It also reflected rising living standards. These developments generally offered amenities that people didn't have before. Some people did not even have indoor plumbing before moving to the housing projects.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
If only it had been called the Cornwallis Interchange.
Maybe somebody could create some 'historical' document showing that Cornwallis had originally planned for that interchange back in 1749. Post it on twitter and we're good to go...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Maybe somebody could create some 'historical' document showing that Cornwallis had originally planned for that interchange back in 1749. Post it on twitter and we're good to go...

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 3:50 AM

Cogswell District construction expected to start next fall

Quote:
NEWS RELEASE
HALIFAX REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY
The Halifax Regional Municipality is advising residents that major land negotiations related to the Cogswell District project are nearing completion, allowing the project to progress into the next phase.

The construction tender is expected to be issued in early 2021, with work estimated to begin in the fall of 2021. Details related to the construction plan, including timelines and Transportation Demand Management, will be shared with residents in advance of Phase One of construction.

While major land negotiations near completion, other smaller land negotiations will continue to proceed beyond Phase One as they will not impact initial construction efforts.

The Cogswell District is one of the biggest city-building projects in the history of Halifax. The council-approved design plan addresses public realm elements including accessibility, public art and commemorative features, parks and open spaces, multi-use paths, streetscapes, and a transit hub for the new neighborhood.

Ongoing planning efforts associated with the Cogswell District project reflect advancements with transformational municipal initiatives such as the Integrated Mobility Plan, Regional Centre All-Ages-And-Abilities (AAA) Cycling Network, and Rapid Transit Strategy as well as Transportation Demand Management, and the recently adopted social procurement policy. Staff will be engaging with the Mi’kmaw and African Nova Scotian communities in the coming months to explore social procurement opportunities.

The project includes environmentally sustainable initiatives such as the establishment of the District Energy System which supports the goals of the recently adopted HalifACT plan. Smart Cities design goals and Rick Hansen Certification for Accessibility are also incorporated in the plan.

Regular project updates will continue to be shared on our website and social media channels.

For full project details and timeline, please visit halifax.ca/Cogswell.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 4:39 AM

I'll believe it when I see it

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 4:48 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
I'll believe it when I see it
It's been "next fall" for a few years now.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 12:10 PM

Just another reason to avoid downtown Halifax at all costs for the next few years.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 6:04 PM

Looks like there are 2 tenders to choose from!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...bids-1.6053242

Quote:
Halifax has received two bids on the demolition and street construction work for the Cogswell redevelopment project.
The bid from Dexter Construction is $91,732,000. Miller Paving bid $99,685,077. The tender has not been awarded. The municipality asked for interested companies to submit their qualifications in 2018.

Municipal officials were looking for companies that had experience in at least two similar projects in the past 10 years. At the end of January, three companies were invited to bid. The work involves removing the current interchange and replacing it with new streets, multi-use trails and a bikeway.

The project also involves the creation of parks, a roundabout and a transit hub. Underground utilities will need to be installed, including a district energy system using heat from the wastewater treatment facility. All the work will be done in phases so traffic can move through the area at all times. The work could begin this fall.
Also this is my first post even though I've been creeping this site for like, a decade and a half, I seriously thought I had an account.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2021, 3:17 PM

Welcome! Better late than never!

They invited 3 companies to bid, have received 2 bids, but haven't awarded the tender yet. I'm wondering if the third company declined to bid or has asked for an extension or...? Unfortunately the article doesn't provide much detail.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Fall 2021 Update

During the September 14, 2021 Regional Council meeting, the construction tender was awarded to Dexter Construction Limited. The project will now enter the pre-construction phase, which is expected to last three months. Once pre-construction activities are completed, equipment and labour will be fully mobilized. The project is scheduled to begin the construction phase in winter 2022.
https://www.halifax.ca/about-halifax...edevelopment-3

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:55 PM

That is interesting as given the speed with which Dexter is constructing the 104 twinning I think folks are going to be amazed at how quickly things are about to change. Dexter does not fool around. They get R done.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 10:15 PM

Fantastic news! I'll be excited to see how the new grid turns out and what kind of projects get real proposals for the new lots.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure