HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 10:04 PM

^ I believe that was done pre-Covid. Who knows what's going to end up happening now... office has softened up quite a bit and has quite a bit of uncertainty surrounding its prospects.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
Huh, I didn't know they switched 10131 West Constellation Boulevard back to an office tower instead of the two residential ones.

https://planning.lacity.org/pdiscase...e8558211cd/pdd
I hope I am viewing this incorrectly, but is the park above the street level on the parking podium???

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
^ I believe that was done pre-Covid. Who knows what's going to end up happening now... office has softened up quite a bit and has quite a bit of uncertainty surrounding its prospects.
Letter is dated "August 2020"

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:19 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Yes, the park is on top of a 1 or 2-story parking podium, not at street level. As for the timing of this, it was in the middle of COVID, so would not have been pre-pandemic. That being said, I agree with LASam that office is the unlikliest of scenarios here, unless they have a tenant lined up that we don't know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
I hope I am viewing this incorrectly, but is the park above the street level on the parking podium???
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:01 AM

From Urbanize Los Angeles:

Developer dusts off early 20th century plans for project near Pasadena Central Park

Next to the Green Hotel apartments and Castle Green

MARCH 09, 2021, 9:45AM STEVEN SHARP

Local real estate development firm Goldrich Kest is dusting off plans from the early 20th century for a proposed mixed-use building near Pasadena Central Park.

The proposed development, slated to replace a surface parking lot at the northeast corner of Fair Oaks Avenue and Dayton Street, would be flanked by the historic Green Hotel Apartments and Castle Green. Plans call for the construction of a six-story building featuring 84 studio, one-, and two-bedroom apartments - including 16 affordable units - with amenities such as a gym, a pool deck, and multiple rooftop terraces.. Parking for 195 vehicles is proposed in a four-level basement garage below the building.

Architectural Resources Group, which is designing the proposed apartment complex, is building off of a 1903 plan from Colonel G.G. Green to expand the neighboring Hotel Green complex. Green, a Civil War veteran and entrepreneur, completed the existing structures on the block in the late 19th century, both of which are now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

In addition to vintage plans, Goldrich Kest's project is also being designed with modern zoning regulations in mind. The plan, according to the developer, remains within limits for height and floor area, and promotes walkability through the inclusions of 6,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space and four street-facing live/work units across from Pasadena Central Park.

The proposed development, which is being designed to obtain LEED certification, has already gone before the Pasadena Design Commission for a preliminary review and consulation, resulting in some changes to the look of the apartment complex.

“We set out to create new apartment homes that will meet Pasadena’s need for new mixed-rate housing while carefully considering the project’s location within a historic block, in the context of the Old Pasadena Historic District, and its relationship to Central Park,” said Goldrich Kest director of development Emily Taylor in a news release. “We are very proud of how the project design has evolved, and how it will transform a surface parking lot into a transit-oriented housing development that will become a new gateway to Old Pasadena.”

The development site is located two blocks south of Colorado Boulevard, and across Central Park from the Metro L Line's Del Mar Station.

Goldrich Kest, which was founded in Los Angeles in the 1950s, has built multifamily housing at locations across Southern California. The company has owned the neighboring Hotel Green since the early 1970s.

Outside of Pasadena, Goldrich Kest has also worked with Architectural Resources Group on a proposed mixed-use apartment building just south of the Los Angeles River in Studio City.

Link: https://urbanize.city/la/post/develo...DNmi26FMK8uyh0

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 3:47 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ This is amazing, and if built with high quality materials, could be one of my favorite projects in LA metro. Revivalist architecture is usually more miss than hit, but when it hits, man, does it hit.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:46 PM

Me too! It looks great and I happen to drive by the site yesterday. There are no trees of importance on that lot. It's a few palm trees and a couple of other common trees (not oaks or sycamores). Build baby build

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 7:29 PM
Show me the blueprints

Super cool

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ This is amazing, and if built with high quality materials, could be one of my favorite projects in LA metro. Revivalist architecture is usually more miss than hit, but when it hits, man, does it hit.
Mouais... I find it to be a waste, even when materials would be decent.
It is hard to do this, because it may age poorly compared to originals that always arouse more curiosity, brings about more respect, then better care.
Most noticeably, the rich always purchase original stuff as a signature of a particular era. They are not so interested in later things that would try to look the same.

That's the whole difference between original genuine buildings and what they call "pastiches" over here.
You can always see the difference in textures, because construction techniques evolve as time goes by.

I think that's the reason why pushing contemporary innovative architecture forward is a better way to go, even when it is more risky, because it takes some time to get the general public used to it. But it works better in the end.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 3:14 AM
them bones

I had occasion to be in Long Beach for a couple of days last week. Shoreline Gateway is coming along nicely.

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 745 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 110 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 112 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 138 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 189 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 268 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 512 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 515 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 523 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 525 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 540 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 542 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 552 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 553 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 557 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 561 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

The hole for Onni's (25?) story Long Beach Blvd / Broadway project is huge!

210309-0310 LONG BEACH 746 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 2:46 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Great shots! For whatever reason, I didn't realize how far south Shoreline Gateway was on the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 8:08 PM

Wilshire Blvd at Hoover apts almost finished.

Interestingly enough this cargo community for the homeless on this small plot of land is going up directly across the street.

Last edited by pwright1; Mar 19, 2021 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 9:51 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That's actually a good use of that land. Too small for a park, and there's a larger one across the street anyway.

As for the development, love the tower, but man that podium is pretty bad. And afterthought from a design perspective. Love that it's lined with units facing the street, for which they get major points from a programming perspective. But they really could have done a better job with the materials and design for breaking up that massing that's more creative than different paint colors over stucco. It's like the architects put their A team on the tower, and let HR design the podium. Didn't even give the interns with something to prove a chance.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 10:39 PM

Something perverse about the fact that this new Wilshire tower can back up completely to the small street behind it (Sunset Pl) but is set way back from LA's main boulevard (Wilshire).

Frankly the project that size should have been two towers, straddling Hoover and Wilshire. Or even if it was only one tower, the tower should be at the corner of Hoover and Wilshire, just as other great towers on Wilshire do (The Wiltern).

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19 View Post
Something perverse about the fact that this new Wilshire tower can back up completely to the small street behind it (Sunset Pl) but is set way back from LA's main boulevard (Wilshire).

Frankly the project that size should have been two towers, straddling Hoover and Wilshire. Or even if it was only one tower, the tower should be at the corner of Hoover and Wilshire, just as other great towers on Wilshire do (The Wiltern).
I wonder if it was required to be setback to preserve views of the Bullocks Wilshire tower?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ That's actually a good use of that land. Too small for a park, and there's a larger one across the street anyway.

As for the development, love the tower, but man that podium is pretty bad. And afterthought from a design perspective. Love that it's lined with units facing the street, for which they get major points from a programming perspective. But they really could have done a better job with the materials and design for breaking up that massing that's more creative than different paint colors over stucco. It's like the architects put their A team on the tower, and let HR design the podium. Didn't even give the interns with something to prove a chance.
Definitely not too small. I mean, for an LA park I suppose, since everything has to be programmed here. But there are tons of these triangle parks in other cities. This is actually big for something in manhattan. And now the city is also using the park across the street for housing as well. We have so many parking lots, wonder why we don't use them for housing the homeless (which is to say, I know why, because there would be riots over loss of parking, but by god, how pathetic. end rant)

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7387...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 4:39 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Definitely not too small. I mean, for an LA park I suppose, since everything has to be programmed here. But there are tons of these triangle parks in other cities. This is actually big for something in manhattan. And now the city is also using the park across the street for housing as well. We have so many parking lots, wonder why we don't use them for housing the homeless (which is to say, I know why, because there would be riots over loss of parking, but by god, how pathetic. end rant)

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7387...7i16384!8i8192
Probably because most parking lots are privately owned and not owned by the city or county.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 4:11 AM

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!!!!!

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Just spotted tonight... One of the biggest projects in Los Angeles is breaking ground NOW. The parking lots on BOTH sides of the street have been blocked off with fencing and tractors are on site. I thought because of the scale of this project; it was going to be phased in, but it looks like they are doing the entire thing in one swoop!!!

Anyone wanna guess which project this is before I reveal the name???

[IMG]Untitled by Hugh B, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by hughfb3; Mar 25, 2021 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!!!!!

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Just spotted tonight... One of the biggest projects in Los Angeles is breaking ground NOW. The parking lots on BOTH sides of the street have been blocked off with fencing and tractors are on site. I thought because of the scale of this project; it was going to be phased in, but it looks like they are doing the entire thing in one swoop!!!

Anyone wanna guess which project this is before I reveal the name???

[IMG]Untitled by Hugh B, on Flickr[/IMG]
Hollywood center! Wow, this would be amazing.

Pulled from Urbanize post in Oct 2020
"Nonetheless, a proposed condition of approval for the project would require that the developer conduct exploratory trenching prior to any excavation or grading activities prior to construction." Which looks to be what they are doing.

Last edited by Radio5; Mar 25, 2021 at 5:30 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Hollywood center! Wow, this would be amazing.

Pulled from Urbanize post in Oct 2020
"Nonetheless, a proposed condition of approval for the project would require that the developer conduct exploratory trenching prior to any excavation or grading activities prior to construction." Which looks to be what they are doing.
Ohh! Dang. I forgot they had to redo all of their permits and environmental things as we saw them dig a trench several years back

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations