HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 3:34 PM

Car sharing

Didn't we already have a car sharing thread? I searched but couldn't find it. Anyway...

Car2go has removed (almost) everything east of 60th Ave and all of St. Johns from the Portland "home area". This comes hot on the heels of them adding a mandatory dollar surcharge to every trip to fund a decrease in insurance deductibles.

Even though I live inside the new home area, almost every Car2go trip I make ends in an area they're removing. Any advantage Car2go had over TriMet is practically gone from my perspective.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofiftyfive View Post
Didn't we already have a car sharing thread? I searched but couldn't find it. Anyway...

Car2go has removed (almost) everything east of 60th Ave and all of St. Johns from the Portland "home area". This comes hot on the heels of them adding a mandatory dollar surcharge to every trip to fund a decrease in insurance deductibles.

Even though I live inside the new home area, almost every Car2go trip I make ends in an area they're removing. Any advantage Car2go had over TriMet is practically gone from my perspective.
I'm two blocks outside of the home area. Very disappointed in this, though I didn't use it all that often. I have a transit pass through work, so TriMet's always been my preferred option, but still, nice to have other options. I see car2gos on my block almost every day. Really surprised that they didn't pull it back to just 82nd.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
I'm two blocks outside of the home area. Very disappointed in this, though I didn't use it all that often. I have a transit pass through work, so TriMet's always been my preferred option, but still, nice to have other options. I see car2gos on my block almost every day. Really surprised that they didn't pull it back to just 82nd.
Part of the problem was that people were using them one way, and they were just stacking up in those areas.

I used to use them a lot, but the $1 surcharge has taken the price for most trips I used it for from "it's only about $1 more than TriMet" to "it's almost twice as much as TriMet and only saves me about 5-10 minutes."

With two people it's still a good deal, but if I'm just using it to go 1.5-3 miles it's not worth it. Under 1.5 miles and I'll just walk.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure