HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 7:45 PM

The Official Saint John, NB Project Thread

Next thread.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Jul 23, 2008 at 2:59 AM. Reason: .....

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 12:16 AM
hi

Yowser, this is a fair amount of stuff.

Things are looking really good, particularly the waterfront stuff. I think the Emera pipeline is generating some controversy with NS, though. Oh well, it'll be of no architectual significance... yet much economic significance...

Hopefully there will be some more highrises being planned in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser
Cool. We should start a Saint John construction thread, eh? Even if it's not sticky yet...
Nice! Thanks for all the information!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser
Yowser, this is a fair amount of stuff.

Things are looking really good, particularly the waterfront stuff. I think the Emera pipeline is generating some controversy with NS, though. Oh well, it'll be of no architectual significance... yet much economic significance...

Hopefully there will be some more highrises being planned in the future.

Nice! Thanks for all the information!
Thanx for the idea !

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 4:18 AM

Having grown up in the suburbs of Saint John, I have to say that it was a pretty depressing place. That being said, all of these developments are really great news. The fact that all of this is even planned, let alone actually built, is unprecedented.

These projects manage to include many new sources of remunerative employment and also help add to the critical mass of economic activity in energy and industrial sectors already present in SJ. The jobs that will be created to service and supply the multiple companies in this sector will be significant as well.

Also, SJ is taking on an urbanity which would have been utterly unthinkable only a short time ago. With l´Opera on Prince William, the Alehouse in Market Square, the Saint John Theatre Company and Sebastians (the Martini bar uptown) you can actually see the emergence of a livelier and more (excuse the buzz word) cosmopolitan set of businesses to service an increasingly sophisticated population. Maybe this is weird to people not from or familiar with SJ, but a Martini bar uptown verges on the miraculous.

The Waterfront (Coastguard site) development is great for bringing a more middle class population back to the centre and will, hopefully, itself bring the services needed to sustain future gentrification and redevelopment (i.e., a grocery store uptown, more shops, and even - dare we dream - a proto-cafe culture)

All in all, very good news. HalifaxMtl666 thanks for all the information!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 4:32 PM
Bamboo Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666

( :: CRUISESHIP / WATER STREET DEVELOPMENT :: )

City : Saint John
Corporation : Saint John Port Authority
Completion : 2008
Links:http://www.sjport.com/english/news_e...sp?PressID=125

Cruiseship terminal

Bay of Fundy Cruise Welcome Centre - Saint John Port

What happened to the Bermello Ajamil & Partners proposal?

http://www.bamiami.com/maritime/proj...pId=124&pgId=4

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 11:37 PM

We need to change the name of the thread -

St.Johns = Capital of Newfoundland and Labrador

Saint John = Largest city in New Brunswick

Saint John is never abbreviated to avoid confusion (always Saint John for NB and St.John´s for NL).

From the St.John´s., NL Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Joh...C_Newfoundland) -

"Not to be confused with Saint John, New Brunswick."

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL Lucas
We need to change the name of the thread -

St.Johns = Capital of Newfoundland and Labrador

Saint John is never abbreviated to avoid confusion (always Saint John for NB and St.John´s for NL).

From the St.John´s., NL Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Joh...C_Newfoundland) -

"Not to be confused with Saint John, New Brunswick."
Well, I know, I`ll ask for the change soon

Thanks for your comments. I`m agree with you Saint John seem to be very depressing mainly in foggy day. I hope Saint John will attract more retails, because Moncton beats Saint John for the Hub of shopping in New-Brunswick. On the other hand Uptown Saint John is really more urban than Moncton Downtown. I like both of them...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan ren

What happened to the Bermello Ajamil & Partners proposal?

http://www.bamiami.com/maritime/proj...pId=124&pgId=4

I don`t know but the Bermello Ajamil & Partners rendering is mush better for sure. I hope they will choose and built this one.

thank you

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 1:13 AM

I noticed yesterday it said Saint John, and it looks as if a mod came and edited it to St John's.

Assuming that was a Canadian moderator, they should be stripped of said status!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 2:42 PM
Bamboo Tiger

Diamond + Schmitt to rebuild New Brunswick Museum
Archiseek / Canada /

Architecture News / 2006 / September 30
The New Brunswick Museum has announced that the Toronto-based Diamond + Schmitt Architects have been chosen to redesign the institution and give it more space and improved facilities. Established in 1842, it is Canada's oldest continually operating museum, but at its current location in Market Square, Saint John, it can only display 5 per cent of its collection. This includes a Hall of Great Whales, a strong decorative-arts collection from the 18th and 18th century, when New Brunswick was an international shipbuilding centre, and the Maritimes' largest research collection of bird specimens -- about 10,000 skins, skeletons, eggs and nests.

The museum chose Diamond +Schmitt, which has won more than 100 national and international awards for planning and design, from among 12 competitors. Jack Diamond, who led the team for Toronto's new Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, will serve as the principal in charge, with Michael Leckman as project architect. Leckman was design director for the University of Toronto's Bahen Centre and the Medicine Hat Arts and Heritage Centre. "We were really impressed by the firm's ability to present international architecture in an environment that speaks to New Brunswick," says Jane Fullerton, the museum's director. "The waterfront will be a key part of that."

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Just an FYI, Moncton is now the largest City and Metro in New Brunswick.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames
Just an FYI, Moncton is now the largest City and Metro in New Brunswick.

Probably but Saint John has more project`s and skylines than Moncton, this is the reason why I made a thread about Saint John.

No offence for Moncton.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666
Probably but Saint John has more project`s and skylines than Moncton, this is the reason why I made a thread about Saint John.

No offence for Moncton.
I realize that, and I only corrected 'MTL Lucas' I tried to back it up with a link, but other than Wikipedia, I can't find any info from the 2006 census.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 5:45 PM

Quote:
I realize that, and I only corrected 'MTL Lucas' I tried to back it up with a link, but other than Wikipedia, I can't find any info from the 2006 census.

Population (2005):
126,600 Saint John Census Metropolitan Area (CMA)
Regional catchment and commuter population of 175,000

I found that about Saint John, nothing about moncton

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan ren
Diamond + Schmitt to rebuild New Brunswick Museum
Archiseek / Canada /

Architecture News / 2006 / September 30
The New Brunswick Museum has announced that the Toronto-based Diamond + Schmitt Architects have been chosen to redesign the institution and give it more space and improved facilities. Established in 1842, it is Canada's oldest continually operating museum, but at its current location in Market Square, Saint John, it can only display 5 per cent of its collection. This includes a Hall of Great Whales, a strong decorative-arts collection from the 18th and 18th century, when New Brunswick was an international shipbuilding centre, and the Maritimes' largest research collection of bird specimens -- about 10,000 skins, skeletons, eggs and nests.

The museum chose Diamond +Schmitt, which has won more than 100 national and international awards for planning and design, from among 12 competitors. Jack Diamond, who led the team for Toronto's new Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts, will serve as the principal in charge, with Michael Leckman as project architect. Leckman was design director for the University of Toronto's Bahen Centre and the Medicine Hat Arts and Heritage Centre. "We were really impressed by the firm's ability to present international architecture in an environment that speaks to New Brunswick," says Jane Fullerton, the museum's director. "The waterfront will be a key part of that."

Another great news, thanx you!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I should have qualified. I was going on the general rule that SJ is larger as per the last 2001 Census data from -

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/cens...MA-P.cfm?PR=13

The population info for the 2006 census is only released March 13, 2007.

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/cens...RelDates_e.cfm

Assuming the same rates of growth seen in between the 96 and 01 censuses, the populations of the two cities should now look something like this -

122 082 - Moncton CA (3.7% growth from 2001 for the CA)
119 732 - Saint CMA (2.4% decline from from 2001 for the CMA)

That, however, wouldn't be accurate as Saint John has done better from 2001 to 2006 than it did from 1996 to 2001 (I am sure much, or a considerable portion, of population loss in that census was due to the end of Shipbuilding and the subsequent departure of several hundred families).

I checked out Enterprise Saint John (http://www.enterprisesj.com/en/index.php?id=14 - this is where the Wikipedia info is from) and they show what HalifaxMTL666 said -

126,600 Saint John Census Metropolitan Area (CMA)
Regional catchment and commuter population of 175,000

Those are 2005 numbers and they also make sense - Saint John has a more extensive and farflung network of suburbs and de facto bedroom communities so actual changes in population are not accurately reflected by simply examining the CMA.

The Moncton CA is increasingly similar in size and growing faster than the SJ CMA but I don't believe that it has attracted the 9,000 people it would have needed to outrank the SJ CMA since the last census. Even if this were to occur, SJ would still have a considerably larger commuter basin.

Additionally, The Saint John CMA would probably post the strongest growth in the province if the second refinery goes ahead and the LNG plant is a success.

Last edited by MTL Lucas; Nov 23, 2006 at 12:09 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 11:34 AM

I just read this at -

http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.cbc.ca/...aint-john.html

".... the company has plans to build a new refinery that would eventually have the capacity to process 300,000 barrels of oil a day and employ about 1,000 people full-time. The target market for the product would be the United States.

To accompany the expansion, Irving Oil would also build a new corporate office tower, most likely in uptown Saint John."

1,000 well paying jobs is enough to get excited about, but a new office tower Uptown is further good news. I wonder where you could build a new office tower Uptown..? Maybe this could be an anchor tenant in the Coast Guard site or Lantic Sugar?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 5:32 PM
Bamboo Tiger

Quote:
I wonder where you could build a new office tower Uptown..? Maybe this could be an anchor tenant in the Coast Guard site or Lantic Sugar?
Nah, the Irvings don't usually cooperate with other developers. Plus, if they were interested in either of the sites you mentioned they'd already own them.

Last edited by Coyett; Nov 23, 2006 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 5:35 PM

Moncton have a big project for the revitalisation of the downtown.

http://www.moncton.org/search/englis...isionFinal.pdf

Old Posted Nov 23, 2006, 8:16 PM

Quote:
I just read this at -

http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.cbc.ca/...aint-john.html

".... the company has plans to build a new refinery that would eventually have the capacity to process 300,000 barrels of oil a day and employ about 1,000 people full-time. The target market for the product would be the United States.

To accompany the expansion, Irving Oil would also build a new corporate office tower, most likely in uptown Saint John."

1,000 well paying jobs is enough to get excited about, but a new office tower Uptown is further good news. I wonder where you could build a new office tower Uptown..? Maybe this could be an anchor tenant in the Coast Guard site or Lantic Sugar?

I hope the new HQ will be modern, hight and in uptown !

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces