HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Phil and Penny Knight will give $500 million to University of Oregon for science complex

The University of Oregon announced it received a $500 million commitment from Phil and Penny Knight to build a new science complex in Eugene, which it hopes will speed the translation of scientific discoveries into "real world impact."

School officials are expected to formally announce the donation from its most prominent and wealthy alum at a news conference Tuesday morning at the Ford Alumni Center on campus.

In an interview, UO President Michael Schill said the "spectacular" gift from the Knights is the largest donation to a public flagship university in the nation's history.

"This act of philanthropy from Penny and Phil Knight is breathtaking," Schill said in a formal statement. "This is a seminal moment for the University of Oregon, an inflection point that will shape the trajectory of the university and this state for the next century and beyond."
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Local architects get busy on Knight's $500M science center at the University of Oregon

The Portland architecture firm behind such notable Rose City projects as the current revamp of the former YMCA building in Southwest Portland will now also be behind the $500 million science campus taking shape at the University of Oregon.

The university announced today that Portland's Bora Architects and New York firm Ennead Architects have been selected as the architectural team for the project.

The two firms were chosen for their experience designing laboratories, their work on university campuses around the country and for their long list of sub consultants with specific knowledge of the U of O's campus in Eugene. Bora is also responsible for the Cosmopolitan condo tower in the Pearl.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
whoa. no shortlist/interviews? that seems fucked up considering the amount of talent that was presumably chasing this.

edit: AND the fact that this was a HALF BILLION DOLLAR project.

Last edited by eric cantona; Jan 23, 2017 at 9:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
whoa. no shortlist/interviews? that seems fucked up considering the amount of talent that was presumably chasing this.

Who cares. Phil Knight is donating $500 million dollars of his own hard earned money for this beautiful building. He and his people can choose whoever they want. And yes I'm sure he had a say in who builds this..

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
Who cares. Phil Knight is donating $500 million dollars of his own hard earned money for this beautiful building. He and his people can choose whoever they want. And yes I'm sure he had a say in who builds this..
Why, I care. thanks for asking.

I want the best possible team to lead this very important project on my alma mater's campus. selecting directly off an RFP response (if that is indeed what happened) for something as complex and far-reaching as what this project strives for seems short-sighted. that is not to say that Bo(o)ra and Ennead wouldn't be a good choice ultimately. It's just that there's only so much information you can put forth in a printed document. Interviews tend to round out that information and give the client a way to ask direct questions.

either that, or it was wired for Bora/Ennead. if that's the case they just wasted 100's of thousand's of dollars in non-billable time of all the teams that submitted. that would be very fucked up.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post

It was a competitive selection process. Many firms sought it, unsurprisingly.

Ennead is Design Architect and Bora is Arch of Record. Sounds like the presence of Todd Schliemann and John O'Toole were largely responsible for winning the commissions. Todd has an impressive CV as a design partner at Ennead, and I remember (from years back, in my time at Bora) John being a very sharp managing architect. He has a couple decades of experience on some big commissions there.

U of O press release:

http://around.uoregon.edu/content/kn...ion-architects

Bora press release:

http://bora.co/bora-teams-with-ennea...mpact/?tax=all

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:45 AM

Article chopped up by me for relevant SSP information.

IAAF visit to Oregon ahead of 2021 world track championships leaves unanswered questions
Updated 5:02 PM; Posted 4:59 PM
By Ken Goe kgoe@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfi...art_river_home

Quote:
An IAAF team has been in Portland and Eugene this week to discuss preparations for the 2021 World Outdoor Track & Field Championships.

It also requires a bigger, better Hayward. The stadium has a listed permanent capacity of 10,500 and has been expanded with temporary seating to approximately 20,000.

The IAAF minimum capacity for a stadium hosting the world championships is 30,000.

Original plans called for an extensive renovation to begin immediately after the 2016 U.S. Olympic trials. It was expected to take two years with a pause late in the spring of 2017 to allow Hayward to stage the Prefontaine Classic, the Oregon state high school championships and the NCAA Outdoor Championships.

But the work has been delayed several times and has not yet begun. Sources say the original plan, which preserved the iconic east side of the stadium, has been scrapped.

The stadium project now is expected to be a complete teardown and rebuild under the direction of Howard Slusher, a longtime adviser to Nike co-founder Phil Knight. Knight is said to be a large contributor to the project. Slusher has supervised other building projects for Knight and Nike.

Paul Weinhold, president and CEO of the University of Oregon Foundation, said Wednesday he expects the project to begin this summer, and for the plans to become public early this spring.

"We're doing it, and it's going to be ready," Weinhold said.
...(continues)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:16 AM

Deleted

Last edited by BNF; Oct 27, 2018 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:20 AM

Here is an updated rendering of the new Knight Science Campus. It looks a lot different from the original renderings.

Last edited by BNF; Oct 27, 2018 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 11:09 PM

From The Register-Guard

From SI.com

Quote:
Photos: Oregon Unveils New Re-Design for Hayward Field
By Chris Hansen
The Register-Guard
2:12 P.M., APRIL 17, 2018

The University of Oregon unveiled its vision of a new Hayward Field on Tuesday afternoon, a 12,900-seat venue the school is boasting will be “the finest track and field facility in the world.”

The project, which will involve a complete teardown of the current structures, will begin construction in June and will be completed by spring 2020, according to the school. It will include what Oregon describes as state-of-the-art locker rooms, practice spaces and athletic medicine rooms. In addition, students and researchers in the UO’s human physiology department will be given new laboratory and classroom spaces.
...(continues)

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 11:57 PM

holy shit. did not see that coming. I lived a few blocks up from there when in college. the facilities were dated then. I know there's a very vocal group that wants to preserve "the old ways" which include either keeping, or mimicking, the current super-old stand. if this is the alternative I can't imagine the naysayers being able to get much support.

like it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 11:26 AM

Fantastic design. I hope they can proceed with that.

For all of the history that Hayward Field has it isn't tied to the facility as much as program and dedication of track and field fans in Eugene. Hayward is no Fenway or Wrigley. Heck even the original Boston Garden, Old Trafford and Wembley were brought down to rebuild something better.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:12 PM

I'm curious to see the configuration for 30k or is that what the renderings show?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTimberjack View Post
I'm curious to see the configuration for 30k or is that what the renderings show?
what I've read elsewhere is that the 30k figure would come from temporary bleachers at the open north end. it's hard to picture how you could go from 13k to 30k with just that. also, the first time I saw the renderings I assumed that was a 20-30k seat stadium. maybe a bit of "artistic license" going on in the rendering?

more info here: https://around.uoregon.edu/hayward
and here: https://hayward.uoregon.edu/about

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 10:36 PM

Crowning moment in Hayward Field construction timeline

"By Chris Pietsch
Posted Feb 2, 2020 at 12:20 PM Updated Feb 2, 2020 at 12:20 PM

The crown of the Oregon Tower at the new Hayward Field was welded into place over the weekend.

Crews worked into the evening to secure it into place as construction of the new track and field venue on Agate Street continues.

The defining nine-story tower bears a silhouette of legendary UO coach Bill Bowerman with his signature hat, visible on the facade of the structure being set into place."

... Read the rest at the Register Guard.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 4:15 PM

^^^
Cool

Nice to see investment in the University continuing at a good clip.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:

By Chris Pietsch
Posted Feb 10, 2020 at 1:11 PM Updated Feb 10, 2020 at 1:11 PM

The Hayward Field renovation project took a symbolic step forward during the weekend when crews installed the crown on the tower being built on the site. The 187-foot-tall structure anchors the northeast corner of the venue.

...Continue reading at the Register Guard.
Some great pictures in the article. Hayward is going to look amazing!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 10:13 PM

Quote:

Oregon Ducks unveil plans for new indoor practice facility
Updated: Oct. 19, 2021, 11:18 p.m. | Published: Oct. 19, 2021, 7:46 p.m.
By James Crepea | The Oregonian/OregonLive
EUGENE — The Oregon Ducks will have a new indoor practice facility.

UO unveiled plans for a new 170,000-square foot facility between Leo Harris Parkway and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, where the current outdoor football practice fields are.

Current plans call for a 130,000 square-foot practice field and 40,000 square-foot connector between the field and the Hatfield Dowlin Complex to be built by 2024. The connector will include an “expanded weight room and players’ lounge” and outdoor terrace for team use and to host events.

The exterior shell will be made from Northwest timber in the form of the Oregon “O” with the the center of the roof made of tinted polymer panels supported by a steel cable system, “which allows natural light to reach the field without glare while insulating against heat,” per a release. A ventilation system will be available for use to mitigate air quality issues from wildfires, though the new facility will largely rely on natural ventilation and daylight and be powered with renewable energy generated on site.

...(continues)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 10:41 PM
BANNED

Wow beautiful

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 10:58 PM

Stunning. Love the "O" roof... kinda wish we would get a bit more done to Autzen itself. Maybe round out the rest of the bowl with a little expansion and improved amenities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon