HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 5:08 AM
Honored Member

Cass Scenic Railroad State Park, West Virginia

Cass Scenic Railroad, June 1999

I was looking up some photos for someone and ended up scanning this set of 35mm negatives from a trip taken in 1999.

Cass Scenic Railroad State Park is located near the Snowshoe ski area in West Virginia. It includes the lumber mill town of Cass and eleven miles of standard-gauge railroad used until 1960 by Cass & Mower Lumber Company to bring logs down from the mountain to their mill at Cass.

Red spruce logging started on Cheat Mountain shortly after 1900 and continued through old-growth and second-growth trees until 1960, although the operation was in severe decline after 1950. The railroad was sold to a scrapper after it ceased operation, and a last-ditch effort by dedicated preservationists saved it and eventually got the state involved in restoring the town and railroad as a tourist attraction.

In an unrelenting climb of eleven miles up grades as steep as 11 percent (two percent is considered steep on most common-carrier railroads) and through two switchbacks, geared Shay locomotives pushing passenger cars rebuilt from logging flat cars take visitors to the top of Bald Knob, at an elevation of 4,842 feet.

Many of the houses in Cass have been restored and may be rented as tourist accomodations.

Presbyterian Church converted to community center

Remaining half of the hotel; originally this building was double the width and had porches/balconies on both the first and second floors.

Masonic Hall

The men who worked in the mill were mostly skilled workers who lived a fairly settled life in the town. The men who worked on the mountain cutting timber, mostly young bucks full of adventure, were called "wood hicks." They lived in camps on the mountain and only came down to the town on Saturday night. The enterprises that accomodated them were across the river in East Cass, and few traces of that remain.

Drunken and rowdy wood hicks who found their way into the respectable part of Cass were likely to sober up in the windowless brick jail beneath the mayor's office and council chamber.

The boiler house and brick engine room are the only structures that remain amid the burned-out ruins of the mill. In its heyday the lumbering operation employed more than 3,000 men and shipped both finished wood products and wood pulp for paper production. Every morning the C&O Railroad picked up a 44-car train loaded with the mill's output.

A toppled band saw rusts in the rubble.

Rail passenger station in the foreground. The big building in the background was the company-run store, and now houses a gift shop and a very pleasant rustic restaurant.

Workers preparing Shay geared locomotives for the day's work. Most of the Shays at Cass are 90-ton locomotives that burn bituminous (soft) coal.

Big 6 was the last Shay locomotive built, in 1945, and worked for four years on the Western Maryland Railroad taking coal trains up a nine percent grade. It is oil-fired, and at 162 tons it's the largest one still in existence. Before coming to Cass, it was on display at the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore. I believe there were once two Shays at Cass, built or modified in their shops, that topped 200 tons. I can't imagine what beasts those must have been.

A new boiler for Heisler 6, a 100-ton geared locomotive that was then being rebuilt at Cass. It is now in regular service. Heislers differ from Shays in that they have two cylinders in a V configuration sticking up one on each side of the boiler, with a drive shaft that ran beneath the center of the locomotive. Whereas Shays are usually limited to speeds up to about 15 miles per hour, a Heisler can run somewhat faster.

Shay Number 2 ready to take a train to the summit of Bald Knob. The fireman is standing in the cab door, fueling himself with a sandwich. If I remember the numbers correctly, these locomotives consume about 4 1/2 tons of coal on the round trip, and most of it goes in the firebox in about two hours, on the way up. It's all done with a shovel, and the work doesn't let up. The firemen I saw on the coal-burners were wiry-looking guys; I imagine you'd have to be pretty tough to maintain the pace.

A conventional locomotive has a cylinder mounted horizontally at the front on each side, driving the wheels directly through rods. A Shay has a three-cylinder engine mounted vertically on the right side of the boiler, driving the wheels via a drive shaft and gears on the axles.

The drive wheels are mounted on paired axles in articulated trucks, like the trucks under a boxcar, to let the locomotive maintain adhesion (traction) on uneven, quickly laid temporary track. Square sliding couplings and universal joints in the drive shaft allow the trucks to pivot, enabling the locomotive to negotiate tighter curves than would be possible with rod-driven engines. The combination of articulation and low gear ratios makes geared locomotives able to move very heavy loads on steep grades, albeit slowly.

The funnel-shaped smokestack and screen keep burning embers from escaping and starting fires.

Whittaker Station is a rest stop en route to Bald Knob, with restrooms, concessions, equipment displays and a recreated logging camp.

A Lidgerwood Skidder was used to drag logs to the railroad loading site. The massive steam-powered hoisting machine was placed next to the rail line on a specially-laid siding and set up with a tall mast. Cables were strung from the mast to a sheave block anchored to a large tree at the logging site, and logs could be carried in the fashion of an aerial tram for distances up to 3,000 feet.

After logs were brought to the rail location by the skidder, a rail-mounted crane loaded them onto flatcars for transport down the mountain to the mill.

A spring-fed stream flowing down the mountain keeps the tanks beside the track full to overflowing, and the fireman uses a steam jet fed by the locomotive's boiler to transfer water from the tanks to the locomotive's tender.

Bald Knob, elevation 4,842 feet. Even on a hazy day, the view is impressive. It's chilly up there, even in summer; the climate and vegetation are similar to parts of Canada.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Last edited by Robert Pence; Feb 2, 2007 at 12:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:04 PM
Meh

Neat. Thanks for posting these, Rob.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 12:56 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Wow, that was fun. Can't believe I've never made it there. Next time I'm in WV I'll have to give it a try. 11%, that's crazy. Kind of a thrilling ride I bet. Thanks Rob.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 1:09 AM
welcome to the madness

Great stuff Rob--I've been through that way and saw the signs for it and now that I've seen your pictures I'd love to go there and see it for myself.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 1:41 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Wow, that was fun. Can't believe I've never made it there. Next time I'm in WV I'll have to give it a try. 11%, that's crazy. Kind of a thrilling ride I bet. Thanks Rob.
Shay locomotives are a machinery geek's wet dream! There's so much stuff going on that one guy said it made him think of a 90-ton sewing machine. With their low gear ratios, at 10mph they sound like a conventional locomotive charging down the main line at 70.

I had seen Shays before, on tourist lines where they puttered along busily on relatively flat track, but before Cass I hadn't seen them doing what they were designed for -- muscling heavy loads up steep grades. When they're working hard their exhaust absolutely roars, and the smoke must go a hundred feet in the air.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 1:51 AM
Old Fart Forumer

I've read that Shays are amazing, but I'd love to see that in person sometime. Thanks Rob.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 7:08 AM
BANNED

beautiful

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 5:06 PM
SkyscraperSunset.com

Interesting and beautiful photos Rob, thanks a lot.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 3:33 PM
Staffan S

Had not seen this type of locomotives before. And of course Cass itself with its history is very interesting.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 4:35 AM
S.F. needs more Neon.

rawk.
Great pictures, that reminds me I need to get up to roaring camp
Anyway thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 4:09 PM

Very interesting pictures

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 1:38 PM

Looks nice. I like seeing abandoned towns, even if they've been restored.

You should've taken more pictures from the top of the mountain though.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 4:38 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Looks nice. I like seeing abandoned towns, even if they've been restored.

You should've taken more pictures from the top of the mountain though.
It was chilly and hazy despite being June, and trees block the view in other directions. I'd like to go back on a clearer day and spend more time at the summit, but I don't know if there's any way to get there other than via the train, and taking one train up and another back down would mean spending several hours there. I don't know if anyone does that, or not.

I thought the effect of the temperature drop at high elevations was amusing. I was dressed appropriately if not prettily, with bib overalls over jeans and a heavy sweater, and a long denim work coat over that and a wool watch cap to keep my head warm; I looked more like a worker than a visitor. A lot of people showed up at the ticket window wearing shorts and short-sleeved shirts. The ticket agent admonished them to put on warmer clothes before making the trip, but many poo-pooed the advice with comments like, "But heat rises, so it should be warmer up there."

By the time we reached Camp One, most of the scoffers were freezing their butts off, and they spent the layovers there and at the summit huddled as close as they could get to the locomotive boiler.

Next time, I should take along a couple of surplus old coats. I could probably get $100 each for them.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 5:02 PM
Eurosceptic

gorgeous! what a treasure!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 6:26 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_1412 View Post
I thought the effect of the temperature drop at high elevations was amusing. I was dressed appropriately if not prettily, with bib overalls over jeans and a heavy sweater, and a long denim work coat over that and a wool watch cap to keep my head warm; I looked more like a worker than a visitor. A lot of people showed up at the ticket window wearing shorts and short-sleeved shirts. The ticket agent admonished them to put on warmer clothes before making the trip, but many poo-pooed the advice with comments like, "But heat rises, so it should be warmer up there."

By the time we reached Camp One, most of the scoffers were freezing their butts off, and they spent the layovers there and at the summit huddled as close as they could get to the locomotive boiler.

Next time, I should take along a couple of surplus old coats. I could probably get $100 each for them.

Who says wisdom doesn't come with age?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 7:59 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Who says wisdom doesn't come with age?
Considering what a dumbass I was when I was a kid and thought I knew everything, if I hadn't smartened up I wouldn't have survived to get old.

Looking back, I'm suprised my smart mouth didn't get me killed.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 2:20 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Same here Rob.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 2:48 PM
Trendy.

This thread makes me sad. My grandma, who was a lifelong West Virginia resident for almost 80 years, always wanted to take me to Cass, but we never made it

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 4:22 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhallassTecksanne View Post
This thread makes me sad. My grandma, who was a lifelong West Virginia resident for almost 80 years, always wanted to take me to Cass, but we never made it
It sounds like that would be a nice way to honor her memory; pick a date that was significant in her life, and make a trip to Cass as a sort of personal memorial.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography