HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:36 PM
DownTowner

Google streetview made it to the Trent-Severn Waterway a few years ago. I guess they used a 'Google Streetview Boat' instead:
All these are between Lock 43 Swift Rapids and Lock 44 Big Chute.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.86845...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.86166...7i13312!8i6656

In this one you can see the famous boat-access-only Waubic Restaurant:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.86988...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.88420...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.89605...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.89003...7i13312!8i6656
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Last edited by PFloyd; Jan 28, 2020 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ the boat nerd in me wishes that we still saw massive lake freighters snake their way through the chicago river from time to time.

source: http://www.connectingthewindycity.co...in-june-1.html

^ boatnerd sez that built in 1906 that one was the oldest operating carrier ship on the great lakes. it was only retired and turned into a barge in 2013!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Sure, but it had been the capital for nearly half a century already at this point.

The most recent census (a few years before it became the capital of the entire colony) it had a population of 7,760 people and was pretty strictly a lumber town only. Now, at the time, it was booming, but a lumber city in the late 20th century up to 2020 and counting, that wouldn't be the case anymore. Which is why I think Shawi is a good comparable IMO. It also boomed for a while. But it's not the capital of anything, let alone the country, so...

Also, FWIW, one argument from Queen Victoria herself in favor of Ottawa as capital was that this remote lumber town was so small that the risk of having a mob torch the Parliament again was greatly reduced; I don't think it's debatable that Pre-Capital Ottawa ever was anything other than a small town where the main industry by far was lumber.
The lumber boom occurred during the same period as it became capital. The lumber boom lasted from around 1860 to 1920. This is before the great expansion of the federal presence that really got going in World War II. I think you overestimate the federal presence during the early post-Confederation period.

Also, without the federal presence the city would have been forced to diversify and modernize. I have no doubt that the city would have been much smaller but Canadian cities tended not to shrink during a post boom period. They tended to stagnate.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:19 PM
INformed before INdignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The lumber boom occurred during the same period as it became capital. The lumber boom lasted from around 1860 to 1920. This is before the great expansion of the federal presence that really got going in World War II. I think you overestimate the federal presence during the early post-Confederation period.

Also, without the federal presence the city would have been forced to diversify and modernize. I have no doubt that the city would have been much smaller but Canadian cities tended not to shrink during a post boom period. They tended to stagnate.
Another interesting question under a scenario where Ottawa is not the capital, is whether the population would be more evenly distributed between the Ontario and Quebec sides of the Ottawa River, or even if the Quebec side would have more population.

In the early decades of this era's settlement, for a fairly long time there was more population on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River, but this changed around the middle of the 1800s.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ boatnerd sez that built in 1906 that one was the oldest operating carrier ship on the great lakes. it was only retired and turned into a barge in 2013!
yeah, she had a 107 year career as a commercial cargo steamship on the lakes.

and to this day her hull is still floating along as an integrated tug & barge.

that really speaks to how much less corrosive fresh water is compared to salt water.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 28, 2020 at 10:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 10:58 PM

My former boss retired last year and bought a decent sized boat. He showed me all the maps and points he wanted to visit doing the trip you guys are talking about. From his facebook, it looks like hes been testing his skills/craft by taking progressively longer trips. Hope he makes it one day. Boat people love that shit.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
So you get stories of Chicago commuters and pedestrians jumping across drawbridge gaps well into the 70's.
Obligatory Blues Brothers video...

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 2:52 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

This thread is inspiring me to go visit the Chicago Maritime Museum...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Obligatory Blues Brothers video...

Video Link
On a mission from gaad.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 4:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

some cool updates regarding great lakes shipping news:

Quote:
Photos: Float Out of First U.S. Built Great Lakes Bulker Since 1983
BY THE MARITIME EXECUTIVE 01-01-2021 04:56:33

The first U.S. flagged Great Lakes bulk carrier to be built on the Great Lakes in nearly four decades marked a key point in its construction with its recent float out from the graving dock. Being built for The Interlake Steamship Company at the Fincantieri Bay Shipbuilding yard in Wisconsin, the vessel which is named the Mark W. Barker is the first Great Lakes bulk carrier built domestically since 1983.

Jointly designed by Fincantieri and Interlake, the order for the bulk carrier was placed in April 2019. The engineering and pre-fabrication work for its modular sections began in the fall of 2019 and the first keel block was laid in June 2020.

The hull is structurally now about 70 percent complete. Having reached this stage of construction, the vessel was ready to move to a new location in the shipyard while also making space in the dry dock for other vessels that will be undergoing a winter overhaul at the yard.
source: https://www.maritime-executive.com/i...ker-since-1983

Quote:
Viking Octantis Floats Out Ahead of 2022 Debut
December 25, 2020

Viking has announced announced its first expedition ship – the 378-guest Viking Octantis – was “floated out” at VARD, marking a major construction milestone and the first time that the new ship touches water.

Scheduled to debut in early 2022, the Viking Octantis will spend her maiden season sailing voyages to Antarctica and North America’s Great Lakes.
source: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...ouches%20water.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 4, 2021 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:52 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
some cool updates regarding great lakes shipping news:

source: https://www.maritime-executive.com/i...ker-since-1983

source: https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...ouches%20water.
I wonder if we could get them to ship some of our experimental equipment to Antarctica (sadly they're probably going to the wrong side).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 6:23 PM
All man. Half nuts.

You can't show that Blues Brothers jump video without also showing the Illinois Nazis and their epic jump from the same movie.

They jumped from Milwaukee and landed in Chicago. Totally rad.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 8:35 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
You can't show that Blues Brothers jump video without also showing the Illinois Nazis and their epic jump from the same movie.

They jumped from Milwaukee and landed in Chicago. Totally rad.
it's only 80 miles.

besides, if you listen to certain people here, chicago and milwaukee are already well on their way to being a single metro area anyway (they are not).

but yeah, it's one hell of an awesome movie! (my personal favorite "chicago" movie of all time; it's a little hard to believe it's now 40 years old)

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 4, 2021 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 8:53 PM

oh yeah blues bros is definitely the top chi movie, beating out cooley high.

and many thx for the ship building update. wow. i wish some of my relatives who worked at amship and in cle docks were still alive to see this.

i see its named also named barker. the james barker built in lorain was the first 1000'er. the interlake corporate family.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 9:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

i see its named also named barker. the james barker built in lorain was the first 1000'er. the interlake corporate family.
the "James R. Barker" was built in 1976 and was actually the 2nd proper 1,000 footer on the lakes after the "Stewart J. Cort" (1972), and the 3rd if you include the "Presque Isle" ITB (1972), which when mated together, is also 1,000' long.

however, the "James R. Barker" was the first 1,000 footer to be built entirely on the great lakes. both the "Stewart J. Cort" and the "Presque Isle" ITB had sections built down on the gulf coast that were then brought up to the lakes via the seaway for final assembly.

But yes, the new freighter under construction in sturgeon bay will carry Interlake's "Barker" family name. i believe that "Mark W. Barker" refers to James R's grandson. there's also the "Kaye E. Barker", named after James R's wife.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 5, 2021 at 1:38 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 12:46 AM

^ yes, the barker being the first built entirely on the great lakes of course, not the previous asterisk freighters, i'm a nativist lol.

btw the biggest cargo ships in ny harbor are i think 1200,' but with the full load of crates it looks triple its size.

crazy behemoths almost beyond belief -- and so fragile and unnatural looking.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 2:18 AM
devout Pizzatarian

^ yeah, the new locks on the panama canal now allow for ships up to 1,200' long, so new panamax is the standard that a lot of commercial ships around the world are built to these days. Before the new locks were completed in 2016, the old panamax standard was 950' for ship length.

The US army corp of engineers is currently rebuilding the outdated davis and sabin locks at Sault Ste. Marie into a single lock that will match the size of the existing Poe lock (the only one that can currently accommodate the 1,000 footers), and after that work is done, I can't imagine that we'll ever see larger locks at the Soo in any of our lifetimes, so the 1,000 footers are more or less the largest ships we'll ever see ply the waters of these magnificent inland freshwater seas.

Which is just fine, because a 1,000' long ship is still a pretty damn big ship. I mean, that's roughly 270' longer than than detroit's ren cen is tall.

Source: https://dalefishergalleries.com/prod...ver-freighter/

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 5, 2021 at 3:41 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 3:43 AM

^ thats good to hear too -- of course the locks have historically been an issue.

while i don't think more freighters would be needed these days, but certainly some of the aging ships will be replaced -- and its just so cool to see anything being built again like the new barker. i remember touring the old one as a kid.

re the others -- i'm sure there is a whole range of large great lakes ships which could also be built fairly regularly aside from like the coast guard. there must enough pent up work by now after all these years of nothing. one thing that comes right to mind is the goodtime 3, the beloved local cleveland lake cruise ship -- it was built in 1988 and i bet they may be due for an new upgrade sometime soon.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 4:01 AM

I was starting to think that Viking ship was toast after Covid, good to see it's still going.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions