HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
You can pearl-clutch about SROs all you want, but by eliminating them you're only increasing the number of homeless. Obviously building and fire codes should be enforced, etc but they definitely need to be part of the housing solution.

Belwood Hotel on Diversy - my residence for a few months - a few decades ago.

Yes there is a need for this housing option.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

Belwood Hotel on Diversy - my residence for a few months - a few decades ago.

Yes there is a need for this housing option.
There has been a move toward more co-housing communal living in recent years. Maybe that can open the door to some new ideas on housing and greater acceptance of the need

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...e-ages/501467/

Last edited by VKChaz; Apr 21, 2021 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 2:48 PM
Urban Living

co-housing with interviews, lifestyle preferences, age restrictions, and designed for millennials mostly - let's not kid ourselves: those places will not be accepting a street-hardened down on his luck fellow that may have substance abuse problems and no money or bank account

the move is nice - but the same people pushing for those low cost options are usually the same trying to shut down SROs (a very important part of keeping people off the street, getting them a chance for nearby clinic care (if zoning and neighbors allow), and keeping the cost of any eventual health / legal troubles lower for the public)

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
co-housing with interviews, lifestyle preferences, age restrictions, and designed for millennials mostly - let's not kid ourselves: those places will not be accepting a street-hardened down on his luck fellow that may have substance abuse problems and no money or bank account

the move is nice - but the same people pushing for those low cost options are usually the same trying to shut down SROs (a very important part of keeping people off the street, getting them a chance for nearby clinic care (if zoning and neighbors allow), and keeping the cost of any eventual health / legal troubles lower for the public)
millennial co-housing: https://www.common.com/damen/

sro housing: https://www.chicagohomeless.org/wp-c...ilsonHotel.jpg

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 4:28 PM

New 7-story office tower planned for Fulton Market at 817 W. Lake (pending the landing of an anchor tenant...) right next to the hotel planned at Halsted/Lake:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/04...-booming-area/

It's currently an empty lot: https://www.google.com/maps/place/81...7!4d-87.648237

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:46 PM

Good to see the Community Development Commission approved $5.5M in TIF in support of the redevelopment of the former Armour Building, 3300 S. Federal St. The $26.8M plan will restore the landmark building, vacant since 2012, creating 20 affordable units and 82 market rate units.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Thanks for sharing! Quite an interesting read. I am familiar with that block on clark street... I always imagined that it's the last block of downtown Chicago circa 1980 that's still in tact. But I didn't realize the market rate SRO housing it provides.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post

Not to belabor this, but the relevant point is a general trend that could be learned from. From the Atlantic article:

Quote:
DePaulo argues that it would be particularly helpful to integrate cohousing into public-housing policy. “People who work on housing for the poor have to deal with people’s whole lives,” she argues in her book. “They can’t just give them a place to live and forget about them.” Keeping rent affordable is the foremost concern for people in charge of managing public housing, but cohousing can fill in other difficulties of living without much money: Splitting cooking, childcare, and household expenses can save lots of time and money. For these reasons and others, Danish and Swedish governments have long supported cohousing.
Maybe something comes of it, maybe not.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:07 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

The new High-bay at UChicago (https://facilities.uchicago.edu/construction/high_bay/), which I am looking forward to being able to use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
UC is gearing up for two big projects on campus:

1. UC Medicine is planning a massive 600,000 gsf Cancer hospital in two phases (or maybe all of it will be built at once but only 50% of the interior space will be built out at first...? Not final information yet). I think it's for the massive NW lot on 57th and Drexel, but not yet confirmed.

2. I believe some others have mentioned the new PME building before, but it will be located at the SW corner of 56th and Ellis, and is planned to be about 15% larger than the newish Eckhardt building directly south of the site. Project will be complete by 2026.

This is the current view from my floor's elevator lobby in Eckhardt. New PME building will demolish the accelerator building here (hence the need for the new high-bay!), presumably eventually destroying our view of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The first building in a ~160 unit development at Ravenswood & Lawrence, across from the Ravenswood Metra stop was issued a new construction building permit on Wednesday. This building will be 4 stories tall with 55 units, 36 parking spaces. This one for 4736 N Ravenswood Ave.

The other phase of this was permitted yesterday. Still 4 stories but 112 units. On the parking lot that was on Wolcott:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/47...!4d-87.6757314

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 4:10 AM

April 22nd The one behind the Uptown theater... loathe entirely

Last edited by gandalf612; Apr 24, 2021 at 4:12 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 4:11 AM

April 23rd The one by the Sheridan Red Line

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 4:12 AM

April 21st Optima Lakeview real brick???

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 6:53 PM

Central Market - 942 W Randolph

April 12

Location - Location - Location

April 23

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 8:42 PM
devout Pizzatarian

an alderman and community group shoot down a development for not being dense and urban enough? WTF?

what strange-ass alternate universe did i wake up in this morning?

it would be beyond refreshing if this sort of enlightened thinking would catch on. are some non-urbanists actually starting to get it?

if we want healthier, more vibrant communities full of amenities that we all enjoy, then we need MORE density and MORE mixed-use.

Quote:
North Center Alderman Shoots Down Developer’s Plan For Luxury Condos At Chicago Joe’s Property
Neighbors and the alderman rejected the plans due to a lack of commercial space, affordable housing and residential density to support local businesses.

Alex V. Hernandez
1:00 PM CDT on Apr 23, 2021

NORTH CENTER — A developer is going back to the drawing board after an alderman and neighbors rejected a plan to build condos at the site of Chicago Joe’s.

Developer Landrosh Development wanted to build an upscale condo complex at the 2250 W. Irving Park Road property, which currently includes a restaurant, six apartments and a parking lot across four city lots.

Condos would’ve sold for about $1.1 million, according to the proposal.

The Northcenter Neighborhood Association and the Northcenter Chamber of Commerce declined to support the proposal due to the lack of commercial space, affordable housing and residential density to support local businesses.
full article: https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/04...joes-property/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 8:46 PM

^ so im a bit confused in general. Not saying this is bad - its good to demand more density. In general though how does this work? Let's say a developer has some land and zoning they need is already in place, but go to the neighborhood like this anyway with meetings. Even though they don't have to and could build. In this situation, what power does "the community doesn't support this " really have for something like this? Maybe an alderman can be an asshole and block future developments from them but I'm pretty sure blocking a company just because it's an entity you don't like is still illegal? Okay so people already there won't buy a new $2M condo and not support the non existent commercial space?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 10:13 PM
The City

^ Yes, that’s a good point. I’m glad that they want more density, but my understanding is that zoning rules are such that you can always build less dense than existing zoning, but not more dense than it.

So by what means did a community process become required? That article didn’t really clear that up unless I missed something

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 1:10 AM

Yay! Glad to read that article

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 5:51 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Yes, that’s a good point. I’m glad that they want more density, but my understanding is that zoning rules are such that you can always build less dense than existing zoning, but not more dense than it.

So by what means did a community process become required? That article didn’t really clear that up unless I missed something
The site is split between two zoning categories: the Chicago Joe's building is B2-3, the parking lot is B1-1. The B1-1 side does not permit ground floor residential, so the developer requested that it be upzoned to match the other parcel for a unified development across both lots.

The B2-3 zoning the developer wants would allow up to 41 units with a TOD bonus, but he's only proposing to do 8 enormous luxury units (~3300 SF each) including two duplex-down units on the ground floor, hence the need for rezoning.

The developer is probably trying to ride the post-Covid SFH frenzy by providing "home replacement" 4-bed or 5-bed condos, just a few steps away from Coonley School. Ironically this type of development would be perfect for a side street in Northcenter, but can't be built there because it's all locked as RS-3 forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ so im a bit confused in general. Not saying this is bad - its good to demand more density. In general though how does this work? Let's say a developer has some land and zoning they need is already in place, but go to the neighborhood like this anyway with meetings. Even though they don't have to and could build. In this situation, what power does "the community doesn't support this " really have for something like this? Maybe an alderman can be an asshole and block future developments from them but I'm pretty sure blocking a company just because it's an entity you don't like is still illegal? Okay so people already there won't buy a new $2M condo and not support the non existent commercial space?
It's not a spite move like other alders have done. The developer needs an upzoning to do what he wants, but he's not entitled to it - the Alderman won't grant the upzoning since it doesn't fit the community's goals. The developer still has the zoning that the property came with originally, and he is free to build whatever that zoning allows. Of course, the B1-1 side doesn't allow much of anything right now - you could put up a two-story building with commercial at ground floor and only 2 apartments above (likely not profitable to build this). The B2-3 side could go bigger, but that side isn't big enough by itself to allow the colossal units the developer wants to build.

Don't cry for the developer in this case, either he will pivot and make bank building a TOD midrise with smaller units, or he will flip the land for profit to another developer who got the message that Ald. Martin wants a substantial project here. He got egg on his face by trying a strategy that is a slamdunk in other North Side wards - threaten density, offer low-density alternative - but Martin (and apparently the community group) wants the opposite in this case.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 25, 2021 at 6:39 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 6:06 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I believe that was originally published in the Chicago Reader.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development