HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 2:17 AM
NYguy's Avatar
NYguy NYguy is offline
New Yorker for life
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Borough of Jersey
Posts: 47,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerumer View Post
I agree with Zerton, cantilevers can be lovely when done right, perhaps it's just the renderings on this (they always tend to exaggerate) but this one has the childishness of "look Ma, no hands!" rather than form follows function. It appears unstable and if the official renderings are correct, mars the view of the area imho. That said, the details are gorgeous and it doesn't need a post-trendy, played-out "off kilter boxes" aesthetic to be stunning. There's a difference between clever and arrogant, I certainly wouldn't be upset
if it's built, more disappointed at the missed opportunity.

I don't know about anyone else, but the only time I want to see a building that appears unstable is at an amusement park or World's Expo.


Nonsense. The angle that shows the stepped back profile is distorted a little. If it’s a littke “arrogant’ to get us a distinctive design, especially in an area that could use one, then so be it. If it were just another tall, glass blue box, people would be bitchin about that. But save your worry until the tower is actually selected to be built.

For me, I have no problem with it at all. Didnt have a problem with BIG’s version at 2 WTC, and no problem here. It’s people with your thinking that worry the Steinway tower is going to tip over.
__________________
NEW YORK is Back!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 2:45 AM
citybooster citybooster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 387
Let's wait until a developer is picked, but overall I'm quite fine with this tower as envisioned. I think as people get used to it, should it become the development picked, they'll really start appreciating that it has some similarities, pays some homages while essentially forming its own character. And its textural brilliance is top notch... details and everything. Until we know more about the ultimate choice, that's all I will say about this one for now. But it really could be an iconic site in the skyline of the new midtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 2:48 AM
MAC123 MAC123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Deadend town, Flyover State.
Posts: 135
Yeah how about we all wait until a design is actually for sure chosen before we get into way too heated arguments about it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 2:57 AM
Xing Lin's Avatar
Xing Lin Xing Lin is online now
Sydney
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 64
It's crazy to imagine that 30HY and One Vanderbilt will both be dethroned in their immediate neighbourhood less than a decade after their completion. They both felt huge for their time (at least to me); New York is gaining skyscrapers at a breakneck pace!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 3:05 AM
MAC123 MAC123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Deadend town, Flyover State.
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing Lin View Post
It's crazy to imagine that 30HY and One Vanderbilt will both be dethroned in their immediate neighborhood less than a decade after their completion. They both felt huge for their time (at least to me); New York is gaining skyscrapers at a breakneck pace!
Yeah and knowing how tall they are it's crazy to think that they're going to be dwarfed by those two.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 4:39 AM
pico44's Avatar
pico44 pico44 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,398
Hhaaahahahhaaahaa I love it


I love it
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 12:38 PM
pianowizard pianowizard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Michigan, US
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing Lin View Post
It's crazy to imagine that 30HY and One Vanderbilt will both be dethroned in their immediate neighbourhood less than a decade after their completion.
Yep, I bet 1 Vandy regrets having shaved off 100+ ft! Let this be a lesson for future NYC developers: always shoot for the greatest height possible!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 12:56 PM
JMKeynes's Avatar
JMKeynes JMKeynes is offline
In the long run...
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: SW3
Posts: 2,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Yep, I bet 1 Vandy regrets having shaved off 100+ ft! Let this be a lesson for future NYC developers: always shoot for the greatest height possible!
In a recent FT article, SL Green’s CEO, Marc Halliday, said that he wished he had another twenty floors to lease at 1 Vandy. 175 Park is going to be an unparalleled, iconic champion.
__________________
"Men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 2:31 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is offline
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Riverview Estates Fairway (PA)
Posts: 38,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
In a recent FT article, SL Green’s CEO, Marc Halliday, said that he wished he had another twenty floors to lease at 1 Vandy. 175 Park is going to be an unparalleled, iconic champion.
Yeah sometimes they have to think in the long term. That's why sometimes when you have a developer with an ego, it can be nice. Yeah it may be risky at times but if the risk pays off, we'll end up with a tower that is truly iconic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Yep, I bet 1 Vandy regrets having shaved off 100+ ft! Let this be a lesson for future NYC developers: always shoot for the greatest height possible!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 7:45 PM
eastvillage555 eastvillage555 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerumer View Post
I agree with Zerton, cantilevers can be lovely when done right, perhaps it's just the renderings on this (they always tend to exaggerate) but this one has the childishness of "look Ma, no hands!" rather than form follows function. It appears unstable and if the official renderings are correct, mars the view of the area imho. That said, the details are gorgeous and it doesn't need a post-trendy, played-out "off kilter boxes" aesthetic to be stunning. There's a difference between clever and arrogant, I certainly wouldn't be upset
if it's built, more disappointed at the missed opportunity.

I don't know about anyone else, but the only time I want to see a building that appears unstable is at an amusement park or World's Expo.
Besides the specifics of the site layout with MTA, I’m also surprised no one has brought up that the highest floors are the most desirable and profitable. Makes sense to maximize them. You’d think more towers in the future would take this approach when allowed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 8:32 PM
Raysiri's Avatar
Raysiri Raysiri is offline
I like Skyscrapers 🏙
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 215
CPT should also been regretted for losing its cool pinnacle. And One57 losing near-400 feet too.
__________________
The taller the skyscrapers, the brighter the future will be... (or is it?)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 9:19 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 4,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post
CPT should also been regretted for losing its cool pinnacle. And One57 losing near-400 feet too.
I had no idea One57 was going to be so tall initially, what was the original height exactly?


I hope this proposal is more than a pipe dream though, Hudson Yards needs a signature tower of this caliber.
__________________
Dump Trump 2020
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 11:35 PM
DCReid DCReid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I had no idea One57 was going to be so tall initially, what was the original height exactly?


I hope this proposal is more than a pipe dream though, Hudson Yards needs a signature tower of this caliber.
According to this website, cited in Wiki, "Initially, One57 was to rise more than 1,400 feet, but due to the recession and failure to acquire an adjacent lot, its height was scaled back."

https://www.6sqft.com/so-you-think-y...g-about-one57/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 11:52 PM
chris08876's Avatar
chris08876 chris08876 is offline
ψ Sailor of the Mind ψ
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Riverview Estates Fairway (PA)
Posts: 38,247
One57 is the godfather that started it all. It was like the singularity in the big bang that led to the big boom of super talls. And like the expansion that resulted, they are still growing!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:55 PM
Zerton's Avatar
Zerton Zerton is offline
Ω
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1985 View Post
Can you explain how this specific cantilever blocks sun into the west facade? I don’t understand how you’ve come up to that conclusion.
Any overhang is going to cast a shadow, especially on south, west, or east facade in the northern hemisphere where the sun gets high in the sky in the summer. These cantilevers look to be about 10-20+ feet. That's going to cast a shadow on the facade below in the afternoon especially in the summer.

I see why the building cants now, looking at the previous pages here with the plans showing the train tracks, MTA ventilation, etc. crossing the site that the building has to negotiate. Although the previous tower design figured out how to span the site.


I just don't like the top heavy massing especially when it has this much impact on the skyline. IMO, it's just not graceful. There are functional reasons why I don't like this type of design but I think ultimately I don't like this massing aesthetically.
__________________
If all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed, if all records told the same tale, then the lie passed into history and became truth. -Orwell
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:59 PM
Zerton's Avatar
Zerton Zerton is offline
Ω
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
Yeah how about we all wait until a design is actually for sure chosen before we get into way too heated arguments about it?
I think we can disagree and discuss without getting heated. I hope my tone never comes across as rude and I don't read people who disagree with me or others as rude. That's the whole point of the site! To talk about these projects.
__________________
If all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed, if all records told the same tale, then the lie passed into history and became truth. -Orwell
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:31 PM
bdurk bdurk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Philly
Posts: 24
Does anyone else absolutely hate this tower? I think it is painfully ugly and it will really take away from the beauty of 30HY and the rest of Hudson Yards.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:09 PM
Zapatan's Avatar
Zapatan Zapatan is offline
DENNAB
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NA - Europe
Posts: 4,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
Does anyone else absolutely hate this tower? I think it is painfully ugly and it will really take away from the beauty of 30HY and the rest of Hudson Yards.
I don't like the cantilevered angle so much but other than that it's cool. I could see how someone wouldn't like it though.

As stated, I don't think this is a likely proposal anyway, but rather just a concept. Correct me if I'm wrong...
__________________
Dump Trump 2020
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:48 PM
BK1985 BK1985 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Any overhang is going to cast a shadow, especially on south, west, or east facade in the northern hemisphere where the sun gets high in the sky in the summer. These cantilevers look to be about 10-20+ feet. That's going to cast a shadow on the facade below in the afternoon especially in the summer.

I see why the building cants now, looking at the previous pages here with the plans showing the train tracks, MTA ventilation, etc. crossing the site that the building has to negotiate. Although the previous tower design figured out how to span the site.


I just don't like the top heavy massing especially when it has this much impact on the skyline. IMO, it's just not graceful. There are functional reasons why I don't like this type of design but I think ultimately I don't like this massing aesthetically.
Without getting into a back and forth, I think we can both agree that an overhang will cause some shadowing. Your specific statement was that the cantilever will block light into lower floors however I think you’re forgetting that the building going up directly south of this proposal will cause more shadow that any of the cantilevers in this design, since most of the day time sun will come from the south. During the latter portion of the day once the sun clears the buildings to the south, the shadow will be minimal due to the lower angle of sunlight as well as the lack of height of the Javits center. So that’s where my question came from.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:49 PM
BK1985 BK1985 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I don't like the cantilevered angle so much but other than that it's cool. I could see how someone wouldn't like it though.

As stated, I don't think this is a likely proposal anyway, but rather just a concept. Correct me if I'm wrong...
At first I didn’t know if I liked it but the more I look at all the little details I’m loving it. This is one of many proposals but I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s only a concept.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.