HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 7:37 AM

Long Beach is coming into its own -- it does have one of the best beaches in southern CA, and its under the radar which is great.

I struggle to think how Disney would have "improved" Long Beach had a park been built there. Anaheim and Lake Buena Vista (FL) are hardly destinations outside the parks and are possibly marginalized because of the presence of Disney.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 2:40 AM

Notice of Demolition for 3303 W. SUNSET by RYDA Ventures. They do good work, so interested to see what this will look like. They own a string of buildings on that side of Sunset now.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio5 View Post
I don't know, it's kind of a nice reprieve from the "city". Now it's calm, affordable, walkable. Don't think it would be if it had that element to it. Just like if the Port was built in the Santa Monica Bay instead of Long Beach, think of the surf/skate culture that would probably not exist because our downtown would be by the sea (as much as I would love to see it there sometimes).
Touche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Long Beach is coming into its own -- it does have one of the best beaches in southern CA, and its under the radar which is great.

I struggle to think how Disney would have "improved" Long Beach had a park been built there. Anaheim and Lake Buena Vista (FL) are hardly destinations outside the parks and are possibly marginalized because of the presence of Disney.
Valid.

Long Beach is a solid city on its own with surprisingly cheap rent (my friend is paying 1000 for a one bedroom, 3 blocks from the beach), i just wish it had more of a draw to it. Its the second largest city in the LA area, 5th in the state I believe, but is very bedroom community vibes. Not necessarily a bad thing.... That's cool and all. But Long Beach is the exact same size as Miami, Long Beach pop : 463,000, and Miami pop : 467,000).... I just wish it had more going for it. Theme parks can make or break cities, thats understandable. But, the location for the park in Long beach, away from the city itself but still close, would have pushed major development in the Long Beach area. The rest of the state is pushing forward, Long Beach is still way behind and growing very very slow. Its pop increase is some where around 0.5%, compared to LAs 6% growth, San Diegos 9%, and San Joses 8%. and San Frans 10%.

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 5, 2020 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 4:43 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Made my first venture out of the house in a long while during the day time to get a COVID test at the VA. From the west, the new Century towers in Century City provide a new twin peak, and the tower at Barrington and Wilshire is now about 15-20 stories up. Lots of great progress on the westside. No pictures, as I was driving.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
the tower at Barrington and Wilshire is now about 15-20 stories up. Lots of great progress on the westside. No pictures, as I was driving.
I believe this is actually Stoner and Wilshire, but yes very close to Barrington.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 4:01 AM
L O S A N G E L E S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
I see they got the public artwork out on display.
I wonder if that bust is of anyone in particular?
me

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 9:27 AM

Got my new 2021 World Almanac today from Amazon. In the list of tall buildings in L.A. on page 724, they have the Century Plaza condo twin towers at 537'. Not quite the 600' they were originally billed at, but impactful. The triangular theme towers across the street are 571'. Funny the way the condo twins look a bit taller than the theme towers in some photos, but that could be due to the position they were photographed from or perhaps their grade level is a bit higher? In the Wikipedia list of tall buildings in L.A., they are still listed at 600'. But the World Almanac is usually correct.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 9, 2020 at 9:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 5:26 PM

These are 2 months old now and both cranes have since been removed, but the angle is very cool-

https://twitter.com/WebcorBuilders/s...749697/photo/1

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 7:41 PM

Is that a tennis court on the left side of the low-rise?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Got my new 2021 World Almanac today from Amazon. In the list of tall buildings in L.A. on page 724, they have the Century Plaza condo twin towers at 537'. Not quite the 600' they were originally billed at, but impactful. The triangular theme towers across the street are 571'. Funny the way the condo twins look a bit taller than the theme towers in some photos, but that could be due to the position they were photographed from or perhaps their grade level is a bit higher? In the Wikipedia list of tall buildings in L.A., they are still listed at 600'. But the World Almanac is usually correct.
The buildings are almost the same height by roof. In fact, the new towers I would say are 10-12ft higher than the triangle towers. I do not know the ground elevation difference, though.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 11:17 PM
DENNAB

They look higher than 537'. Maybe that's occupied height or something?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 2:50 AM

These twins are an outstanding addition. Hope to see more and soon.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 9:49 PM

Great pictures Steve!

Man, CC is one standout building away from being a competitive skyline. I hear they removed the height restriction from the zoning there, break the plateau effect and you got a killer view! Issue is I think it's maxed out and there's no land left.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 10:56 PM

There is this site here, right in the middle of Century City, and where the Purple Line stop is currently under construction:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0589...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
There is this site here, right in the middle of Century City, and where the Purple Line stop is currently under construction:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0589...7i16384!8i8192

Long time reader, first time poster.

There are also the plans for Fox to re-develop a portion of their studios including two towers up to 475 feet in height

https://urbanize.city/la/post/fox-st...re-development

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 11:32 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
Long time reader, first time poster.

There are also the plans for Fox to re-develop a portion of their studios including two towers up to 475 feet in height

https://urbanize.city/la/post/fox-st...re-development
That article is almost 5 years old, would be great if that's still in the pipeline though.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
That article is almost 5 years old, would be great if that's still in the pipeline though.
My guess the Disney acquisition likely made an impact, but AFAIK, studio / soundstage space is still highly in demand across the city (as evidenced by Sunset Las Palmas Studios, Amazon at Culver Studios, Netflix with Burbank Studios, etc.)

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Great pictures Steve!

Man, CC is one standout building away from being a competitive skyline. I hear they removed the height restriction from the zoning there, break the plateau effect and you got a killer view! Issue is I think it's maxed out and there's no land left.
Also this is Century City adjacent rather in the neighborhood proper, but it would definitely contribute to the skyline.

Sure hope it happens - Might be my favorite proposal outside of Downtown LA.

https://urbanize.city/la/post/more-d...-hills-complex

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 6:50 AM

Nj
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
Also this is Century City adjacent rather in the neighborhood proper, but it would definitely contribute to the skyline.

Sure hope it happens - Might be my favorite proposal outside of Downtown LA.

https://urbanize.city/la/post/more-d...-hills-complex

The proposed building site must be right across the Bev. Hills border in L.A.. As far as I know, BH still has the height limit, right? I agree, those two towers would be terrific. The vegetation gives it a "hanging gardens" look. Hope they get built, and this turns into more than a proposal.

Also the parcel near the purple line station in CC that niftybox & edale discussed begs for a 700'+ tower at the center to break the flat table top effect. 800' or 900' even better. Something with a non-flat roof and/or spire, an exclamation point for the Century City skyline saying "hey downtown, we're here too!" Century City will never have the architectural diversity and history and perhaps height of DTLA, but it can be a significant little brother. A great building with some architectural and altitudinal heft could do that for CC.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 15, 2020 at 12:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Nj

The proposed building site must be right across the Bev. Hills border in L.A.. As far as I know, BH still has the height limit, right? I agree, those two towers would be terrific. The vegetation gives it a "hanging gardens" look. Hope they get built, and this turns into more than a proposal.

Also the parcel near the purple line station in CC that niftybox & edale discussed begs for a 700'+ tower at the center to break the flat table top effect. 800' or 900' even better. Something with a non-flat roof and/or spire, an exclamation point for the Century City skyline saying "hey downtown, we're here too!" Century City will never have the architectural diversity and history and perhaps height of DTLA, but it can be a significant little brother. A great building with some architectural and altitudinal heft could do that for CC.
I usually find that commercial produces far mar interesting (and taller) buildings than residential, but with the types of rent / condo pricing they've been able to charge (Ten Thousand, The Century, etc) I wouldn't be shocked if the tallest residential tower in California ends up being proposed in Century City.

The high-high end demand for condo living in LA is currently here and not Downtown.

It will be fun to see how the new Century Plaza twins sell. If like hotcakes there might be a chance you get that 900 footer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations