HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I definitely hear people in LA call portions of the Midwest and non-coastal East as the 'East Coast'. I haven't heard people call Chicago East Coast, though. I think it's probably because it's the 'king of the Midwest' and everyone knows it as the Midwestern metropolis. When I tell people I'm going to Ohio, it's not uncommon to hear it referred to as 'East Coast' by people here, or at least 'back east'. Maybe it's the time zone thing, maybe it's just that Ohio is the most eastern portion of the Midwest...idk.
Yeah, I've never heard people refer to Chicago as "east coast". I think people (at least people who travel and/or have average understanding of geography) are generally aware that Chicago is a hell of a long way from the coast. And Chicago is so prominent that it pretty much stands on its own... almost apart from the nebulous "midwest" label.

I too have heard people on the west coast refer to Ohio as "east coast" though. Which from their perspective, I guess it is... though from mine, it's obviously not even close. Though northeastern Ohio is more "eastern" and likely has more in common with PA and western NY than it does with the rest of Ohio.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 1:20 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
It seems he was distinguishing between the very general, broad "East Coast" vs. "coastal".

He was talking "coastal". I get the difference. I think we all should be able to.
Seems to me that this is what the entire thing comes down to. When people use terms like East Coast and West Coast they're referring to large geographic regions that contain those coasts and that take their name from them since these coasts are such important defining features to the regions. It doesn't mean these entire regions are on the coast or everywhere in the regions are a short drive to the ocean. Think of it as similar to cities in that from a distance people will call an entire metro area by the name of its anchor city. So you'd hear someone talking about going to X, Y or Z city even if they're actually going to an outer suburb that not only isn't technically part of the core municipality, but may not even be "city" at all and is in fact low density suburb.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 1:52 AM
BANNED

1] When I lived in The Triangle, I heard many locals referring to it as the East Coast.
2] Some of you guys are ignoring the Appalachian mountains and how they stretch SW to NE. This is roughly the delineation of East Coast cities and both Charlotte and Atlanta fall on the eastern side/coastal side of the mountains, just like DC, Philadelphia and New York do.

3] The El Paso, TX analogy doesn't work and has is an apples to oranges comparison to a state like Georgia.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
that's odd. would someone from LA traveling to chicago really say they're going to the "east coast"?

i could see them using a phrase like "back east" or something, but "coast"? really?

that'd be like someone from new york calling denver "west coast".

yes, because of the erie canal.

however, no one in history has ever considered NYC a "great lakes city" in the mold of toronto, chicago, cleveland, etc.

all i was trying to say is that the automatic state inclusion thing is dumb.
Steely Dan
People knowing full well im from Chicago would sometimes introduce me to other people and say 'hes from the east coast' or say stuff like 'you guys got good Mexican food on the east coast?' Strange indeed

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 12:16 PM
The City

One of my good friends from LA would say that Chicago is on the east coast

I corrected him once saying that it’s in the Midwest, not the east coast.

He replied, “whatever it’s all the same”

I think to their mindset we are one giant blob thousands of miles east of them.

Personally I prefer saying Chicago is a Great Lakes city...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
One of my good friends from LA would say that Chicago is on the east coast

I corrected him once saying that it’s in the Midwest, not the east coast.

He replied, “whatever it’s all the same”

I think to their mindset we are one giant blob thousands of miles east of them.

Personally I prefer saying Chicago is a Great Lakes city...
Anything east of Denver is the east coast.

It’s hysterical to say that to Texans, they are appalled

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 1:27 PM
BANNED

Californians calling Chicago "East Coast" or whatever, really isn't too hard to wrap your head around. It is the exact same thing as New Yorkers having misconceptions about California or New Englanders not being able to understand the South or vice versa.

SSP is a site that is full of knowledgable people and yet we continue to read misconceptions from people that have no idea about cities they're commenting about just about every single day.

"I haven't been there, but _____."

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 1:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

The only way Chicago would be considered east coast is if some massive 10 mile asteroid hits the North Atlantic, creating a 3000 ft Tsunami that recreates the East Coast somewhere around Michigan or Ohio. Than... one could say Chicago is on the East Coast.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think NYC ties to the Great Lakes are pretty much exclusive to Lakes Erie and Ontario though. Due to history, geography/NY State territory, and migration. With the state's other cities being Great Lakes cities for the most part, you're just naturally going to have those ties. I grew up in Erie, PA and because of its border with SW New York and ties to Buffalo, there's way more connection with NYC than there is with Philadelphia (or with all of eastern PA for that matter).
I read somewhere that the Empire State moniker is actually an allusion to New York's connection to the Great Lakes. It was New York's connection to the Great Lakes that enabled much of the city's industrial era successes.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I read somewhere that the Empire State moniker is actually an allusion to New York's connection to the Great Lakes. It was New York's connection to the Great Lakes that enabled much of the city's industrial era successes.
Huh, who knew? Never heard that before... I'm sure there are a number of potential historical origins of the name.

And not only NYC's industrial era success... the whole nation's economic success. NYC became the port for all of the interior northeast and subsequently, midwest, because of its connection to the Great Lakes. By connecting NYC to the region, the Erie Canal transformed NYC into THE top commercial center in the US and changed the American economy into a consumer-driven market. It made NYC the gateway to the rest of the country for raw materials, manufactured goods, and immigration... something Baltimore and Philly (who's market draws were only regional) couldn't compete with, and allowed NYC to far outpace them and develop into the "capital of the world" as we know it. It's an amazing history to think what an 1820s ditch resulted in.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:20 AM

Good news for New Orleans is the top 20 ranking will soon change when the Odeon is complete. Once it tops out, it will be the 19th tallest building in the city.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I was at Eagle Rock reservation earlier this Saturday in NJ. One of my favorite spots, right next to Union City (NJ's) cliffs.

Some pics from todays visit.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 3:01 AM

Quoted from Atlanta photo thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:42 PM

Midtown Atlanta is purdy perfection.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 6:16 PM

Still getting a Disney-esque vibe from the long shots of the skyline (sorta New York circa 1930 or so).

But lots to do to fill in so maybe new projects will change things.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Still getting a Disney-esque vibe from the long shots of the skyline (sorta New York circa 1930 or so).

But lots to do to fill in so maybe new projects will change things.
There are quite a few projects in the 300-500 ft range that will definitely connect the two skylines a lot more. A lot of progress has already been made, but there is still a decent bit to go.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
I actually got this vibe when I was walking around Midtown a few years ago! It felt more like a giant display than an actual city. Then when I was downtown I kept thinking I was in Chicago for some reason. Downtown was more impressive than I thought.

In terms of this particular thread, the Atlanta skyline obviously wouldn't belong in that conversation.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 4:23 PM

I've always found it weird that Atlanta goes from big skyscrapers to forest basically immediately. There's no tapering off the density, which makes their skylines feel kind of...artificial? Like there are few signs of historic cores that then sprouted skyscrapers when technology allowed. Just winding low density streets and BAM 800 foot skyscrapers.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 6:32 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Huh, who knew? Never heard that before... I'm sure there are a number of potential historical origins of the name.

And not only NYC's industrial era success... the whole nation's economic success. NYC became the port for all of the interior northeast and subsequently, midwest, because of its connection to the Great Lakes. By connecting NYC to the region, the Erie Canal transformed NYC into THE top commercial center in the US and changed the American economy into a consumer-driven market. It made NYC the gateway to the rest of the country for raw materials, manufactured goods, and immigration... something Baltimore and Philly (who's market draws were only regional) couldn't compete with, and allowed NYC to far outpace them and develop into the "capital of the world" as we know it. It's an amazing history to think what an 1820s ditch resulted in.
Not just NYC but virtually every 'major' city in NYS were economic powerhouse and were booming.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Yes, exactly. I hear it in L.A. a lot. Doesn't matter if you're flying to Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, it's all "east coast" to them.
I disagree, slightly. A lot of people in SoCal have ties to the Midwest and distinguish it from the East Coast. I do hear people say "i'm flying back East" when they're headed to Detroit or Atlanta, but not East Coast.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions