HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 11:26 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
Shot this yesterday afternoon

dtsa-00001 by alexdskates210, on Flickr
One of the best publicly available views of downtown, and possibly the one that makes it appear most dense. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 12:22 PM

Great photo. I'm a fan of the glass used on Thompson and Frost. Definitely helps stand out against the usual tint that has been used in downtown. Is there any lighting design for Thompson at nighttime? Also, that dream hotel development would make for some nice filler on the right side.

Am I correct in thinking that any mid-high rise development at Hemisphere would help fill in the gap to right of the Marriott Properties?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 3:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Great photo. I'm a fan of the glass used on Thompson and Frost. Definitely helps stand out against the usual tint that has been used in downtown. Is there any lighting design for Thompson at nighttime? Also, that dream hotel development would make for some nice filler on the right side.

Am I correct in thinking that any mid-high rise development at Hemisphere would help fill in the gap to right of the Marriott Properties?
Yes, it would fill in much of that area behind the Emily Morgan Hotel.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 5:16 PM

Since I like to photograph skylines. I hated that the Grand Hyatt covered most of the tower from this view. Wish someone would have made Grand Hyatt change the design, since this view is the one view every tourist see when visiting San Antonio since its the corridor to and from the airport.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 7:51 PM

Have always loved this view coming in from 281 South.......
Looks stunning at night as well....
This is San Antonio....

GREAT PIC!!!!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 5:54 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Yes, it would fill in much of that area behind the Emily Morgan Hotel.
Pretty much.

The long blue model in front of the Grand Hyatt here is Elmira at Myrtle. It's mostly blocking the view of the Emily Morgan Hotel here - (you can just barely see the top), and the other blue models behind it are the Hemisphere development towers based on what we've seen already.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 1:30 PM

Has anyone here been able to grab pictures of the inside of this one? I've seen some of the rooms that their real estate broker posted but non of the common areas, bar, pool, etc.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 7:32 AM
Meh

These are on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...RiGLFytMNIH0Oj

-

https://www.facebook.com/theartsresi...xD3889ZCb6zwYo

-

I always get a Las Vegas vibe from this building. This main living area looks like a hotel suite in Vegas.

https://www.facebook.com/theartsresi...vAX7d8IwbVIG9m

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Since I like to photograph skylines. I hated that the Grand Hyatt covered most of the tower from this view. Wish someone would have made Grand Hyatt change the design, since this view is the one view every tourist see when visiting San Antonio since its the corridor to and from the airport.
I agree. Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if they cut the GH in half and went taller instead of making it a giant wall lol. Kinda the same memo with the Thompson but I like the design + how it adds to the skyline, so I'll take it.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 3:42 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
I agree. Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if they cut the GH in half and went taller instead of making it a giant wall lol. Kinda the same memo with the Thompson but I like the design + how it adds to the skyline, so I'll take it.
I'm sure it would take forever for me to find, but the original renders of the Grand Hyatt were in fact a taller, slimmer design that would have been a fabulous add to the SA skyline. I'm in agreement, the final iteration is disappointing and sadly could only be fixed by adding some slim, tall(ish) towers around it to break up the wall of EIFS/Glass that it is... which I'm not even sure is possible considering the location of the convention center and surrounding buildings and historic structures.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Nice... skull?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 7:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Nice... skull?
It's a bong.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 2:52 AM

Kevin, thank you for posting the interior renderings. They look great but I was hoping to see actual interior photos to see if the finishes actually ended up matching what was put forward in the initial design photos they released.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 4:15 PM

[IMG]The Arts Thompson by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 7:57 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ Great picture of an ugly building. (The curved glass corners are nice. That is all.)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 8:42 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
^^ Great picture of an ugly building. (The curved glass corners are nice. That is all.)
Like button.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 10:03 PM
Registered User?

Wow, I guess all of those nice-looking renders really fooled me into thinking this was going to be a pretty attractive building.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 2:39 AM
James

I will say it looks way better on the other side. I think they built this side like that in case something taller is built on the Indigo side. But yes... this side is atrocious.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 6:11 AM

The bottom windows makes it look like a prison and why does downtown SA have so many radio towers? It not even the highest point in the city.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
The bottom windows makes it look like a prison and why does downtown SA have so many radio towers? It not even the highest point in the city.
Great, now I can't get the prison image out of my head, lol. I agree with all who say that back of this building is less than stellar. It does improve as you move up and as Jaga said the front side is much more attractive and is what is seen by most when traveling to downtown.

I've thought from the beginning that the parking podium needs some beautiful mural or art work put on at least part of it. That beige flat wall needs to be broken up somehow.

SproutingTowers, I'm with you on the radio towers. That one is located almost directly behind the building where KMOL (now WOAI) used to have their station offices. That building was part of a portfolio of parcels that I thought were sold recently for development where a dream hotel along with other buildings will be constructed. My hope is that the tower will be dismantled once any development occurs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio