HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 1:36 AM

Aug 29

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 2:00 AM

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 2:12 AM

645 W North

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 2:37 AM

450 W Belmont

Aug 29

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 2:51 AM

On Outer Drive

w.t.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 2:57 AM

Is there something going in the parking lot southeast of 800W Fulton?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 3:21 AM

1550 On the Park

Aug 29

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 3:24 AM

Great rundown there Harry! Some less seen projects for us this time

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 3:56 AM

Lincoln Park Commons

Aug 29

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 4:56 AM

Second that. Thanks Harry!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Is there something going in the parking lot southeast of 800W Fulton?
No proposals yet, but that lot's value is only growing. Can't be long.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 8:57 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I keep looking at the map and I keep on not seeing the problem. The major Metra transit hubs are all between the Kennedy and the River. If west of the Kennedy doesn't make sense, east of the river doesn't make sense either.
But east of the river does make sense, so...

From the west, get off at Morgan. From the NW, get off at Grand, walk down. From the north, transfer to the Green, too bad. From the South, take the Green to Morgan. From the burbs, walk the same distance west you'd walk east.
For burbs to the west, put in a Green Line station at Western, allow for Metra to CTA transfers at Western.
The West Loop around Morgan is not some isolated transit desert only accessible by fleets of cars. It's just not, and I don't understand this thinking.

As for residential around Morgan, it's the same. The west loop there has great transit access. Residential is best put further out on the spurs. There is tremendous room for residential growth west on the Green Line, and elsewhere. Build, build, build.
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Don't build residential districts within a 15 minute walk of Ogilvie/Union Station. Nor Morgan. Some scattered infill residential is fine. But the west loop around Morgan is not a place for families trying to raise kids. It's fast becoming an office district, just embrace the change and go with it.

Case in point: WeWork is taking office space at 167 N. Green. That's a 10 minute, 1/2 mile walk from the Ogilvie exit on Clinton.
I've walked from Ogilvie to the WeWork office at 332 S. Michigan Ave. That's a 27 min, 1.3 mile walk. So which one makes more sense for the most people?

Nope. A couple misconceptions. It's not just about Union Station and Ogilvie. You have to also obviously factor in the core CTA routes. And then, you split the difference. This makes your focal point around the Wells Street corridor (perhaps LaSalle?, but I'll just say Wells). So, as the crow flies, this makes the very eastern edge of Fulton Market (Halsted), equidistant to this transit nexus as roughly the park at Lakeshore East. There's a reason office never gained traction at Lakeshore East (although admittedly there was the BCBS building expansion that it's only fair to note) - and that is because it's a bit too far from removed from (roughly) Wells St. Same goes for Fulton Market, despite one CTA line that spurs off the Loop with two stations just to the South of Fulton. Conversely, there's a reason, the Wacker-Franklin stretch became the most signifiacantly dense concentration of modern office in Chicago over the last 15-20 years - because it is super proximate to this transit nexus.

But, that's just as the crow flies. In terms of perceived (psychological factors - which happen to be important to humans) distance, it's even further to Fulton Market, and not a pleasant walking experience. This is because you have to go over the barren expanse of a massive expressway, and some area on either side that is just not really pedestrian inviting. So, it's even further factoring this important perception in....what would be the adjusted equivalent? LSD maybe? For some people, the expressway overpass walk may be so unpleasant, the adjusted equivalent might even be Lake Michigan.

But again, even without the psychological factor, the easternmost edge of Fulton is as far from Wells as Columbus (the very easternmost large-scale office downtown)

On another topic re 800 Fulton:

Is this going to be the rare concrete frame office building in Chicago? Some of the renderings appear as that will be the case. If so, I wonder what tipped the developer in that direction here?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Nope. A couple misconceptions. It's not just about Union Station and Ogilvie. You have to also obviously factor in the core CTA routes. And then, you split the difference. This makes your focal point around the Wells Street corridor (perhaps LaSalle?, but I'll just say Wells). So, as the crow flies, this makes the very eastern edge of Fulton Market (Halsted), equidistant to this transit nexus as roughly the park at Lakeshore East. There's a reason office never gained traction at Lakeshore East (although admittedly there was the BCBS building expansion that it's only fair to note) - and that is because it's a bit too far from removed from (roughly) Wells St. Same goes for Fulton Market, despite one CTA line that spurs off the Loop with two stations just to the South of Fulton. Conversely, there's a reason, the Wacker-Franklin stretch became the most signifiacantly dense concentration of modern office in Chicago over the last 15-20 years - because it is super proximate to this transit nexus.

But, that's just as the crow flies. In terms of perceived (psychological factors - which happen to be important to humans) distance, it's even further to Fulton Market, and not a pleasant walking experience. This is because you have to go over the barren expanse of a massive expressway, and some area on either side that is just not really pedestrian inviting. So, it's even further factoring this important perception in....what would be the adjusted equivalent? LSD maybe? For some people, the expressway overpass walk may be so unpleasant, the adjusted equivalent might even be Lake Michigan.

But again, even without the psychological factor, the easternmost edge of Fulton is as far from Wells as Columbus (the very easternmost large-scale office downtown)
Uh you can just transfer to the Green or Pink lines to reach the west loop which isn't a long wait at rush. I did it for the better part of a decade. My only real complaint is the sub-par transfer at State/Lake from the Red Line which will hopefully be addressed when they rebuild it.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 11:14 PM

Veridian on Sheridan - 734 W Sheridan

Aug 29

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 11:18 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Uh you can just transfer to the Green or Pink lines to reach the west loop which isn't a long wait at rush. I did it for the better part of a decade. My only real complaint is the sub-par transfer at State/Lake from the Red Line which will hopefully be addressed when they rebuild it.

Of course you can transfer train lines. Adding to time and subtracting from convenience.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Of course you can transfer train lines. Adding to time and subtracting from convenience.
True but at rush it's not really a huge penalty since trains are running so frequently.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 11:52 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Somehow NYC manages to survive with people changing trains. The setup of the CTA network actually isn't as bad for Fulton Market as you imagine it to be, there's a solid connection to every rail line except Red. If CTA ever invested in better downtown connections, it would benefit not just Fulton Market but also The 78 (assuming Related opens a new subway stop there).

Other peripheral development areas like the Tribune site, Lincoln Yards, and Michael Reese site really are in the rail transit boonies and will require major new expansions to be transit-accessible, but Fulton Market is fine.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 2:45 AM

717 S Clark

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 1:03 PM

Bentham place - 146 W Erie

Oct 30

Sept 04

Old foundation - apparently these will be left under the new building.

Vaulted Sidewalk along Erie - Looks like the auto shop was making use of it.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 2:31 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Somehow NYC manages to survive with people changing trains. The setup of the CTA network actually isn't as bad for Fulton Market as you imagine it to be, there's a solid connection to every rail line except Red. If CTA ever invested in better downtown connections, it would benefit not just Fulton Market but also The 78 (assuming Related opens a new subway stop there).

Other peripheral development areas like the Tribune site, Lincoln Yards, and Michael Reese site really are in the rail transit boonies and will require major new expansions to be transit-accessible, but Fulton Market is fine.
There's no point talking sense to SamintheLoop. The whole world, including billions of dollars of institutional money, is all in on Fulton Market as an office offshoot of the Loop. He's just mad that it's not happening in the South Loop as he has long wanted (and I'm assuming he has some sort of vested financial interest in).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations