HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 10:38 PM

At the taller version, this is my idea of a signature skyscraper. If all the other towers disappeared and this was the only one left standing, I'd still be happy. Ok....not really.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 2:29 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
For what it's worth, the project info sheet filed for AULCC has Monday, 12/02/2019 listed as the start date. They have also chosen Harvey Cleary as the General Contractor. I have to say that this one is looking good.
I like the sound of that! Hopefully we will see that old parking lot turned into rubble before the end of the year!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 1:42 PM

Duda Paine updated their portfolio for this project. This one may be new. But I don't know for sure.

http://www.dudapaine.com/portfolio_page/the-republic/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 4:01 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I guess if they couldn't blend the podium in a bit better, then that lovely outdoor area is the next best thing. Those trellises are awesome.

Still waiting for the day that we see a 40-50+ story tower without any parking. To see floors begin above the lobby and rise all the way up to the top.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 4:51 PM
Member since 2001

I don't mind the parking podiums...as long as they are seamlessly designed to fit the rest of the tower. That is, when looking at the building, one cannot see that the first 12 floors (or what ever it is) are a parking garage.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
I don't mind the parking podiums...as long as they are seamlessly designed to fit the rest of the tower. That is, when looking at the building, one cannot see that the first 12 floors (or what ever it is) are a parking garage.
Seems like we used to do this quite well. Austonian, Frost Bank Tower. Now everyone's practically given up and slapped metal screens and called it a day. Dunno if its laziness or greediness. Or both.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I guess if they couldn't blend the podium in a bit better, then that lovely outdoor area is the next best thing. Those trellises are awesome.

Still waiting for the day that we see a 40-50+ story tower without any parking. To see floors begin above the lobby and rise all the way up to the top.
Me too.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Seems like we used to do this quite well. Austonian, Frost Bank Tower. Now everyone's practically given up and slapped metal screens and called it a day. Dunno if its laziness or greediness. Or both.
I agree. I also refuse to count parking garages as floors when they are actually and technically...levels. For example, a 25 story office tower sitting on top of 10 levels of parking is not a 35 floor highrise. It is a 25 floor tower on top of 10 levels of parking. Has anyone ever seen a garage level labeled as floor 1 through...?? Plus 10 levels of parking are not the same height as 10 floors of office. So back to what jdawgboy said, would really like to see a 40 - 50 story office building that's truly 40 - 50 floors and no above ground parking levels. They'll get no love from me by combining the two to get an exaggerated floor count especially if its for bragging rights. Sorry guys, this is one of my nerdy to the bone pet peeves.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 1:53 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Just in case y'all have forgotten...a lot of buildings these days are designing their "garage" levels is such a way that they can relatively easily be converted to office space (or some other rentable use).

Case in point...Block 16. Sadly, The Republic does not seem to be one of those.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post

Why don't we just build a single 50-story shared parking garage somewhere in the middle of downtown, and from then on all buildings are required to use it as their parking.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 2:57 AM

And then build covered walkways from the garage to every new tower like Minneapolis and Houston do. This might not be that bad of an idea.... Maybe we can start with that new garage planned for the capitol area and use it for any new buildings in the area.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
And then build covered walkways from the garage to every new tower like Minneapolis and Houston do. This might not be that bad of an idea.... Maybe we can start with that new garage planned for the capitol area and use it for any new buildings in the area.
Sounds like a good idea, until you think about what it will be like leaving that garage at 5pm on weekdays...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 6:05 AM

Ah, there's the catch.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 5:54 PM
Meh

Yep. Everyone with a car who paid a visit to downtown that day would have a long wait ahead of them. Also, if there was a central parking location, you can bet there would always be a line for it around the block.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
For what it's worth, the project info sheet filed for AULCC has Monday, 12/02/2019 listed as the start date. They have also chosen Harvey Cleary as the General Contractor. I have to say that this one is looking good.
Still think this has a chance of starting in December? Man I hope so....

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Still think this has a chance of starting in December? Man I hope so....
If they are going to start in about a month, they need to file the obligatory building and right of way closure permits rather quickly. They haven't done so yet.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Has anyone ever seen a garage level labeled as floor 1 through...??
Yes. Shoal Creek Walk, for example.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
That creates incredibly DEAD streetscapes, and is a huge factor in why downtown Houston seems so sleepy.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 12:19 AM

Need the blue and orange line done before we even begin to start talking about office buildings in Austin with less parking. I work in one of those towers that is 50% parking podium (mine is at least fairly hidden), and the fact is that it is often at 100% capacity. I don't think that CapMetro buses which share lanes with cars will ever be the answer.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
Need the blue and orange line done before we even begin to start talking about office buildings in Austin with less parking. I work in one of those towers that is 50% parking podium (mine is at least fairly hidden), and the fact is that it is often at 100% capacity. I don't think that CapMetro buses which share lanes with cars will ever be the answer.
this. It's also why the city is proposing changing the code so garages that are converted to office space in the future won't count against FAR but the developer has to design the garage with that possibility from the start.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin