HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I vaguely remembered something happening there, wasn't sure if it was an addition to the existing or a whole new building. Interesting, I wasn't aware it was the same owner... not quite as exciting as a whole new building proposal. Either way, I might be a sell-out to my younger self but that strip of bars on Division is a way under-utilization for that area.
I feel like those bars were sort of the entrance to nightlife moving to Chicago and not really having the savviness of where to take your Michigan friends visiting in town. Fond memories.

The elevations in the zoning application promote my skepticism of anything remarkable on the ground floor. Gyms and banks seem par for the course in these types of developments.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 8:47 PM
tilted & shifted

Blair Kamin interviews the new planning commissioner

In the interview, Cox touched on a wide range of other development topics:

The Obama Presidential Center offers a “once in generation” chance to revitalize the South Side, he said, so he hopes Chicagoans can move past the debate over whether the center should be built in Jackson Park. “As far as I’m concerned, let’s consider that decision done and look more at the benefits and how we can assure that it doesn’t just sit as a building in a park, but that it has a catalytic role in re-imagining an economic center for the South Side.”

A “preservationist at heart,” he’s open to the idea of saving the much-maligned James R. Thompson Center and adding a high-rise that would boost its value. If Lightfoot agrees, her administration could be on a collision course with state officials who want to sell the 34-year-old Helmut Jahn-designed postmodern buildingto a developer, possibly for a tear-down.

Tax-increment financing that subsidizes the cost of roads and other infrastructure is well-suited for the planned redevelopment of the former Michael Reese Hospital site at 31st Street and Lake Shore Drive, Cox said, because new housing and public spaces there would benefit the nearby Bronzeville neighborhood. In contrast, he indirectly criticized the $1.3 billion TIF deal for the massive Lincoln Yards project on the North Side, which the City Council approved and Lightfoot signed off on before she took office. “I would like to see TIF used to advance a more equitable distribution throughout the city,” Cox said. “It’s a very different model than ‘let’s cluster everything at the heart and then — the soul, we can forget about it.’"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...JQVfapJSFblafo

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 11:33 PM

1040 W Fulton

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 3:18 AM

1001 W Fulton

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Blair Kamin interviews the new planning commissioner

In the interview, Cox touched on a wide range of other development topics:

The Obama Presidential Center offers a “once in generation” chance to revitalize the South Side, he said, so he hopes Chicagoans can move past the debate over whether the center should be built in Jackson Park. “As far as I’m concerned, let’s consider that decision done and look more at the benefits and how we can assure that it doesn’t just sit as a building in a park, but that it has a catalytic role in re-imagining an economic center for the South Side.”

A “preservationist at heart,” he’s open to the idea of saving the much-maligned James R. Thompson Center and adding a high-rise that would boost its value. If Lightfoot agrees, her administration could be on a collision course with state officials who want to sell the 34-year-old Helmut Jahn-designed postmodern buildingto a developer, possibly for a tear-down.

Tax-increment financing that subsidizes the cost of roads and other infrastructure is well-suited for the planned redevelopment of the former Michael Reese Hospital site at 31st Street and Lake Shore Drive, Cox said, because new housing and public spaces there would benefit the nearby Bronzeville neighborhood. In contrast, he indirectly criticized the $1.3 billion TIF deal for the massive Lincoln Yards project on the North Side, which the City Council approved and Lightfoot signed off on before she took office. “I would like to see TIF used to advance a more equitable distribution throughout the city,” Cox said. “It’s a very different model than ‘let’s cluster everything at the heart and then — the soul, we can forget about it.’"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...JQVfapJSFblafo
I think he will do well and I'm excited to see more thoughtful investments in outlying neighborhoods. His job will be much easier with a booming Loop, business community, and lots of those evil tax paying rich people.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 5:30 AM
Chicago

742 S Dearborn

October 24, 2019

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 12:51 PM

^ that's going to be another of these three or four story jobs?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 4:06 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

In the mid-1980s, there was a proposal to turn River North into a strip club neighborhood, for basically the blocks between Ohio and Ontario. Thankfully that didn't happen.

Another proposal was to run streetcars East and West on Superior and Huron from the River to Streeterville. That might have been interesting, but it would have been a pretty short run.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 4:33 PM

Navy Pier Hotel

Oct 19

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 8:51 PM
Urbane observer

742 S. Dearborn will be a two-story Roots Pizza.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 11:59 PM

Columbia Student Center

Oct 19

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 12:57 AM
Show me the blueprints

^Looks like at least $400,000 worth of art students.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
742 S. Dearborn will be a two-story Roots Pizza.
The address is now on the Roots website as 744 S. Dearborn, so I guess this is for real. It does also say Opening Fall 2019, which ain't gonna happen.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^Looks like at least $400,000 worth of art students.
The one guy has the same haircut as the tall skinny goth kid from south park:

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:02 PM

CHA Harold Ickes Homes Redevelopment

Project received a couple of permits yesterday.

2310 S. State - DIRECT DEV SERVICES* NEW CONSTRUCTION OF A 6-STORY AFFORDABLE HOUSING PROJECT WITH 103 TOTAL DWELLING UNITS INCLUDING GROUND FLOOR RETAIL AND SURFACE PARKING. BUILDING B-3.

2344 S. State - *DIRECT DEV SERVICES* NEW CONSTRUCTION OF A 6-STORY AFFORDABLE HOUSING PROJECT WITH 103 TOTAL DWELLING UNITS INCLUDING GROUND FLOOR RETAIL AND SURFACE PARKING. BUILDING B-4.

Good to see this moving ahead.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 5:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i learned about a potentially interesting redevelopment of a surface parking lot in my neighborhood through my alderman's website (47th).

the existing surface parking lot @ the NE corner of Leland/Western: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9667...7i16384!8i8192

the plans for a proposed 6 story mixed-income residential building w/ 4,000 SF ground floor retail and 42 residential units: https://airtable.com/shrUCZghaSsEk1a...iewControls=on

sorry, no rendering to post yet.

this is one of the most obnoxious surface parking lots in lincoln square, literally across the street from the western brown line stop. i'd LOVE to see it bite the dust. and 6 stories is a very appropriate scale for a wide-ass auto-sewer like western.

this is still in the "consideration" stage, so if anyone else lives in lincoln sqaure and would like to see that surface lot redeveloped, please drop a message of support to Alderman Martin here: https://airtable.com/shrF9RG5wE981WGEa

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i learned about a potentially interesting redevelopment of a surface parking lot in my neighborhood through my alderman's website (47th).

the existing surface parking lot @ the NE corner of Leland/Western: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9667...7i16384!8i8192

the plans for a proposed 6 story mixed-income residential building w/ 4,000 SF ground floor retail and 42 residential units: https://airtable.com/shrUCZghaSsEk1a...iewControls=on

this is one of the most obnoxious surface parking lots in lincoln square, literally across the street from the western brown line stop. i'd LOVE to see it bite the dust. and 6 stories is a very appropriate scale for a wide-ass auto-sewer like western.

this is still in the "consideration" stage, so if anyone else lives in lincoln sqaure and would like to see that surface lot redeveloped, please drop a message of support to Alderman Martin here: https://airtable.com/shrF9RG5wE981WGEa
Thanks for posting! Definitely a million times better than what's there now!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 6:58 PM

44 N Orleans

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:11 PM

good lord. that is a stupendously awful look.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

I'm nearly salivating at the idea of that lot biting the dust...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development