HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 31, 2018, 8:20 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Guessing it is bogged down in the unapproved Centre Plan. HRM knows how to mess up proposed development like few other places do.
The reality in Halifax, particularly outside of the HRM by Design planning area, is that it can take many years for proposals to be approved and for construction to start. Not hearing anything for a year doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Most of the projects I've followed have ultimately ended up being built even if it took a decade.

The biggest exception to this so far is the United Gulf site (former TexPark). Another one is the King and Alderney lot in Dartmouth. The United Gulf site is a bit ironic since it was one of the earliest big proposals but it's still empty even though it's surrounded by new buildings now; far more new construction than most people would have predicted 10 or 15 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:42 AM

This developer (Westwood Group) is currently finishing the Doyle on Spring Garden. I suspect they will move their attention to the former Ben's Bakery site once the Doyle is winding down. I would say this development will be competing with their proposal for the former Cruickshank's Funeral Home on Robie as far as which one follows Ben's. It's not terribly common for local developer's to complete multiple large scale projects simultaneously. Usually one starts as the previous one is wrapping up. Its less of a drain on finances and staff resources.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 7:13 PM

A friend shared a post the other day that appears to have some bearing regarding this development. She is active in the local film community and her colleague had posted a plea for help in finding a new space for his sound studio co-op. His landlord, Midtown North, was not renewing leases for their properties on Almon Street and the reason given in the letter was that they "were prepared to move forward with the redevelopment". All leases must be surrendered by the end of September.

So while unfortunate news for him, it's a positive sign for this development.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 2:00 PM

All tenants were being forced to move as of September 30, and doors were locked on Oct 1. Apparently the furnace for the building failed back in the spring, and the owners have no desire to try to fix it. There is now fencing and barricades surrounding 3 buildings on Almon St. with signs indicating a demolition zone.

The small brick building most recently holding a barbershop, the old bus terminal and garage, and mixed use building holding Metro Self Store are fenced. Building once housing Maritime Trophy and Velo's Pizza is also vacant, but not fenced.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 10:27 PM

The details for this have been unveiled.

Case 20871 Details

"Three buildings (A, B and C) are proposed in the first phase with a later phase that will also consist of three buildings (D, E and F).

• Building A: located in the centre of the site, includes a two-storey podium containing commercial uses (retail and/or office), and a residential tower located above the podium. The tower is oriented towards Almon Street and is 291 ft. / 88.7 m. in height (27-storey tower, 2-storey podium).
• Building B: located in the centre of the site, includes a two-storey podium containing commercial uses (retail and office), and a residential tower located above the podium. The tower is oriented towards St. Albans Street and is 120 ft. / 36.6 m. in height (10-storey tower, 2-storey podium). Building B is connected to Building A by an enclosed pedway at the second level of the podium.
• Building C: commercial building that is 94 ft. / 28.7 m. in height (7 storeys). Commercial retail uses are proposed at ground level and office uses are proposed within the storeys above grade.

Future Development

• Building D: fronts on Almon Street and runs parallel to the western boundary of the site. Primarily residential building with townhouse-style units at ground level along the extension of Clifton Street. Commercial/retail uses at the ground level along Almon Street. Proposed building height of 120 ft. / 36.6 m. on Almon Street, and 76 ft. / 23 m. along the Clifton Street extension (10-storey tower, 7-storey podium configuration).
• Building E: is located near the intersection of Clifton and St. Albans Streets. This building is intended to be for commercial and/or community use, and is proposed at 4 storeys in height.
• Building F: is a commercial building fronting on Almon Street at the northeastern portion of the site. This building is intended to have a footprint of approximately 2,250 ft2 and a maximum height of 35 ft./11 m. in height (2 to 3- storey building)."

- Copied from Halifax.ca (link above).

I have to say this much more impressive than I was expecting. A development of this scale could revitalize the entire area and help expand the positive changes already occuring to the south and east. Add this project, recently completed nearby projects like Point North and 2814 Isleville, and the numerous proposed/approved projects in the Bloomfield area and Halifax will have a proper "midtown" area. This added density will support the infrastructure improvements planned for the area including Robie Street Transit Priority and Almon Street Protected Bicycle Lanes.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
... I have to say this much more impressive than I was expecting. A development of this scale could revitalize the entire area and help expand the positive changes already occuring to the south and east. Add this project, recently completed nearby projects like Point North and 2814 Isleville, and the numerous proposed/approved projects in the Bloomfield area and Halifax will have a proper "midtown" area. This added density will support the infrastructure improvements planned for the area including Robie Street Transit Priority and Almon Street Protected Bicycle Lanes.
I understand that there were property ownership issues that changed this proposal... I liked the previous version that held the corner across from the crappy suburban-style Shoppers Drug Mart with a significant mass. Happy to see some development here, disappointed that they weren't able to build all the way out to Robie St., where fixing the parking lot as street front would have been nice. Sad to see the old bus terminal go - I always thought it was a cool building.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
I understand that there were property ownership issues that changed this proposal... I liked the previous version that held the corner across from the crappy suburban-style Shoppers Drug Mart with a significant mass. Happy to see some development here, disappointed that they weren't able to build all the way out to Robie St., where fixing the parking lot as street front would have been nice. Sad to see the old bus terminal go - I always thought it was a cool building.
Yes, that's unfortunate. It would have been better if Danny could have gotten right to the corner of Robie. The existing use is not the greatest.

I wonder how long it will take for the usual suspects to start singing the chorus of "It's Too TALL!!!"

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Yes, that's unfortunate. It would have been better if Danny could have gotten right to the corner of Robie. The existing use is not the greatest.

I wonder how long it will take for the usual suspects to start singing the chorus of "It's Too TALL!!!"
Oh, I'm sure the chorus has already been rehearsing for some time!

Last edited by eastcoastal; Oct 24, 2018 at 4:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 4:29 PM

Pretty sure the neighbourhood analysis is from the original plan and hasn't been updated at all despite the new date in the document filename. Which is fair because not much would/should change there.

The servicing schematic still shows the original proposal, too.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 6:46 PM

Actually looks pretty good to me. The current configuration leaves room for some fine grained development along Robie. There are already some well-attended businesses there with Good Robot and the farm market - it would be a shame to see them go away for the sake of a blockbuster.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 7:08 PM

The 27 storey tower is a bit of an abrupt streetwall. Almon's not very wide and it's quite a bit taller than what I would expect for a street that scale. Urban form-wise, I think the tower should have been located closer to the centre of the site... I can see that they're trying to shade the parking lot across the street rather than their own project, but I'd hope that eventually the Rona/Shoppers Drug Mart would go away and we'd want some nice midrise right at sidewalk's edge for most of the street.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
The 27 storey tower is a bit of an abrupt streetwall. Almon's not very wide and it's quite a bit taller than what I would expect for a street that scale. Urban form-wise, I think the tower should have been located closer to the centre of the site... I can see that they're trying to shade the parking lot across the street rather than their own project, but I'd hope that eventually the Rona/Shoppers Drug Mart would go away and we'd want some nice midrise right at sidewalk's edge for most of the street.
I don’t disagree but considering the RONA only got built a few years ago and seems to be doing very well, I don’t see it going anywhere anytime soon.

Last edited by Takeo; Oct 27, 2018 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 12:32 AM

Building 'C' is 1.4 metres from the mosque.
Too bad the transmission shop will remain.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 12:45 AM

The Rona is not going anywhere. They are one of my customers and the Central location along with tech savvy customers make the sales per Sq Ft among the best for Rona in N.S. . I can see them being an evolving web purchase pick up point especially as Bayers Lake is just a pain for small purchases if you live on the Peninsula. My Brother lives off Connaught and prefers Dartmouth Crossing to Bayers Lake . The Rona is in a sweet spot.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
The Rona is not going anywhere. They are one of my customers and the Central location along with tech savvy customers make the sales per Sq Ft among the best for Rona in N.S. . I can see them being an evolving web purchase pick up point especially as Bayers Lake is just a pain for small purchases if you live on the Peninsula. My Brother lives off Connaught and prefers Dartmouth Crossing to Bayers Lake . The Rona is in a sweet spot.
Yah I live a 3 min walk from that RONA and I love it! So handy. And much nicer than the old Pierceys it replaced.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
Yah I live a 3 min walk from that RONA and I love it! So handy. And much nicer than the old Pierceys it replaced.
I agree. The only issue is that it is way too small. The Bedford store is a more useful size.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 4:48 AM

Quote:
I don’t disagree but considering the RONA only got built a few years ago and seems to be doing very well, I don’t see it going anywhere anytime soon.
Does anyone know if there are future plans for the big gravel Ford lot behind shoppers? That could add some residential density in between all of the new buildings in the midnorth area. Id love to see it become a high-rise, almost 2nd downtown like area. Then I suppose we could keep the rest of the city mid to low to keep everyone happy.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Does anyone know if there are future plans for the big gravel Ford lot behind shoppers? That could add some residential density in between all of the new buildings in the midnorth area. Id love to see it become a high-rise, almost 2nd downtown like area. Then I suppose we could keep the rest of the city mid to low to keep everyone happy.
I believe it’s owned by Eastlink and last I heard they have no immediate plans for it. But clearly it will be developed at some point... right?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:
You're quite right... I guess I should probably say that I don't think we should use the poor urban form of Shoppers and Rona (separate from and financial success of the businesses) as an excuse to lessen the quality of this particular proposal.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2019, 5:44 AM
hi

Some updated plans out for this project (its fifth iteration):

https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...street-halifax

https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2019...e-housing.html

Quote:
Chedrawe said he hopes to have the project approved by July, and buildings up in two years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth