HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Tour Phare in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Puteaux (Paris) Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANKofMANHATTAN
I'm sorry, but this is just flippin' rediculous.

Gherkins, Sea Cucumbers, Crumpled Trash, Shtockenblocken Lego Buildings...This stuff just doesn't do it for me. I think it may be better on a smaller scale (lets say museums or something of the sort) instead of using it on monstrous towers.

It looks like an eggplant skin held up by pick-up sticks w/ a stringy toupee.

^^ Speaking of how to "Do It" - I'd nominate Nashville (Sig Twr) for that.
Signature is cool looking...I'll give you that, but that po-mo art deco look was big about 20 years ago. I just can't see Paris clamoring for something that looks like it was designed for a big southern city in 1988.

I think this will be a classic.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 1:57 AM
furified freestyle

this thread is awesome.

the building, not so much, but the discussion (and photoshops) it's created, yes.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 2:57 AM

Is it just me or is there a rule that La Defense must get at least one weird skyscraper proposal per year?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 2:58 AM

The Tampon That Ate Paris!

[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 3:27 AM
Pacific Wonderland

If this tower is going to be leased by, say, a biotech or pharma company, than this is a great design!

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 5:27 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond 1000
If they shoved this KRaP in Chitown you would be bombing the mayor's office.

This building is a Piece of $hit in typical French fashion. On opening day they can play Oxygene by Jean Michael Jarre and really weird out.

Where Hitler failed to destroy Paris, this will complete the task.
You certainly know everything about me, back off.

I'd be fine if this building was built in Chicago. I think it has some real strong points. I've already voiced my criticism.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 6:30 AM

The Burj Dubai only costs $876 million to build. This building will cost $1.08 billion. Why?

Last edited by Stratosphere; Nov 30, 2006 at 6:41 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 6:44 AM
Heavy User

^Labor cost

I like it. I don't think this is anywhere near "too far" in terms of organic design. Maybe in 15 years people will take it too far and some crazy gravity defying designs will take over, who knows.

I like the proportions, I even like the decorative spires on top. This will be one fine looking structure when built (so long as the glass isn't totally opaque). I think its playfully reminiscent of the Eiffel Tower's design in terms of the exposed structural supports and yet modern.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 7:05 AM

But the Burj Dubai is more than twice taller, so it uses more materials and labor. That would offset the lower labor cost in Dubai. But still the Burj Dubai is cheaper to build?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 7:42 AM
Heavy User

yep. labor costs tell almost the entire story. if the burj dubai was built in france or anywhere in the west it would cost much much more to build (so much more that it wouldn't be feasible is my guess).

anyway, back to the topic of this building.

<--- Still diggin' it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 8:25 AM
them bones

I think there are some really interesting geometries to this tower that aren't quite apparent from the renderings posted so far in the thread... Anybody notice the little piece that cantilevers out of the backside in this view? Is there a rendering of the other side? I'm curious if it's a counterpoint (albeit upsidedown) to the more rectilinear prism that forms one of the feet (on the right hand side of this rendering). Right now, that's what the failure in the base is for me is that 'foot'. If indeed there's some other piece on the other side to balance it out, I'd love to see it.

Aside from that little issue, the base has some real elegance and nice lines to it. It's not human scale, but then again, what 300m buildings are at the street?

I'm not entirely sold on the top like most...but the idea of the wind turbines is one that keeps getting proposed time and time again, and eventually somebody might actually get one built with them. I'm curious and excited to see how it comes off. Mayne probably envisions them as thin reeds fading into the sky...when in reality they could be quite clunky... Like I said...I'm curious...

I do hope this tower gets built. It proposes a number of building functionality questions and in terms of form is decidedly more interesting and unique than a tall box (READ: NY Times Tower).

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 8:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance
Some people are being a bit (as in a lot) reactionary. Don't be nimbys. Not every skyscraper has to utilize only straight lines. There is a lot of geometry in this tower.

Props to Paris for building bold.

Don't know much about you Alliance but I still think blob is awful. Look at the rest of the comments on this thread.

They should build this and Greenbird to go along with it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 1:44 PM

The other face (cladding will not be white):

I'm not fan...but wait and see

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 1:57 PM
FutureTimeline.net

It looks.............. mutilated.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 3:13 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
I like all types, except this whole new "natural" style. Some new buildings look cool like some of Frank Ghery's towers in NYC or the amazing Turning Turso. But some take it too far, like this one.

I'd love to see this tower resdigned into buildings like the New WTC or the Shanghi Financial Center. Paris already has some good towers in the works like the Generali Tower or even better, the Tour AXA redesign.
Well yes I can understand your reservations, this is a little out there, but it is an amazing display of technology. 15 years ago this would have been a fantasy building, and Paris does have Tour Generali, and the AXA redesign coming, like you said. So don't worry, this is only one building. It'd take alot more to destroy the Paris skyline.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere
The Burj Dubai only costs $876 million to build. This building will cost $1.08 billion. Why?
^Labor cost
No, this is not only about labor cost. When the architecture contest has been launched for this tower, the budget restriction was of €400 million ($500 million). Thom Mayne has doubled the required budget and the Unibail company, the promoter, has just fallen in love with the design. Actually, this tower is a real technological challenge, and it will be build with materials of rare quality. Furthermore, this is an eco-tower, with wind turbines and double skins to limit power wastes. It makes a higher initial cost, but less spendings in the long run (or at least, that's how it's sold).

Frankly, some can dislike the design, but that tower is clearly the Ferrari of supertalls when it goes about quality of construction.

Personally, I really like the design, because outside its originality, it remains very elegant and well-proportionated. I would just like to congratulation the American company Morphosis for having been able to imagine such a building. Americans, you could be proud of Thom Mayne.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 7:31 AM
BANNED

OPPS!!!... MORE ORGANIC SH*T FROM THOM MAYNE.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 11:39 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere
But the Burj Dubai is more than twice taller, so it uses more materials and labor. That would offset the lower labor cost in Dubai. But still the Burj Dubai is cheaper to build?
Nope, that figure (less than one billion) is only for the structure so doesn't include glass, interior work, etc. With that it should be 2 billion

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 2:25 PM

I looks like there was an explosion inside the tower! Hopefully they will clean up this design before they actually build it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 3:23 PM

Many of the comments in this thread are simply hilarious , But, I guess I give it a . I like unique! Buildings that push the envelope need to built an seen somewhere! Why not Paris? That it is so polarizing (as was the Eiffel Tower when it was built) says something about it ability to evoke and emotional response ,pro or con, which IMO is essential for a notable piece of architecture. Look forward to seeing it built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive