HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 12:40 PM

As far as the Metro goes, I think Salt Lake City's CSA will continue to reach major goals in it's retail offerings. While the Wasatch Front will be 2.5 million before long, it has a ways to go before it is the size of a metro Phoenix or Seattle. However, I think Salt Lake has passed many Western or National CBDs in many aspects, and will continue to catch up and pass others. It's already much classier and far more elegant in many areas, as far as the CBD goes, and will continue to gain important ground through this decade at a very rapid rate. Also remember, Saks has vacated their locations in Portland and San Diego. Salt Lake's massive, burgeoning, very upscale tourist market will continue to grow at a phenomenal rate, and continue to add five star amenities to it's CBD and adj. ski resorts. In just the past few years it has added establishments like The Grand America, which blows anything in most national Downtown markets out of the water. When a Neimans or a Saks comes to Salt Lake, and they will, it will be at the heart of it's CBD, not in some far off, upscale suburb. How many CBDs will be able to say that. Unlike most downtowns, which are shunned by upscale tourism, Salt Lake's downtown is it's hub. In just the past couple of seasons, a major Waldorf Astoria, St. Regis, and Montage have come on line in it's adjacent resorts. Because Salt Lake's world class resorts are so close, they continue to push not only their own, but Salt Lake City's amenities upward at an astounding rate. Anyone who has kept track of Salt Lake's rise in the past ten years since the Olympics can attest to this fact. And now, The City Creek Center sets a new standard for CBDs in the West. Salt Lake's attractive CSA business climate and major resorts, will feed the continual parade of major and very beautiful projects, even in today's market. Retail is an extremely volutile industry right now, even in a relatively booming and contiually expanding market like the Wasatch Front. Salt Lake City is one of the few markets where many national heavyweights are actually expanding to. I think we're just seeing the tip of the ice berg for Salt Lake City, and it's CSA. Short of a complete implosion of the economy, we're going to see some remarkable additions into this Metro over the next ten years, much like the last ten.

For a host of reasons, the bulk of the national economy continues to shrink. However, Salt Lake's CSA market, continues to be on the short list of preferred locations to expand or move the entire business to. I shake my head every day at what States like my California are doing to their economys. Short of an internal revolution, I don't see Calif. making a 180 any time soon. California's and many other States inability to correct their situations will only continue to shift momentum to places like Salt Lake, Denver or Austin.

Last edited by delts145; Jun 8, 2011 at 12:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 1:15 PM

Update, North Entrance, Richards Street Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
Pic By T-Mac

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
As far as the Metro goes, I think Salt Lake City's CSA will continue to reach major goals in it's retail offerings. While the Wasatch Front will be 2.5 million before long, it has a ways to go before it is the size of a metro Phoenix or Seattle. However, I think Salt Lake has passed many Western or National CBDs in many aspects, and will continue to catch up and pass others. It's already much classier and far more elegant in many areas, as far as the CBD goes, and will continue to gain important ground through this decade at a very rapid rate. Also remember, Saks has vacated their locations in Portland and San Diego. Salt Lake's massive, burgeoning, very upscale tourist market will continue to grow at a phenomenal rate, and continue to add five star amenities to it's CBD and adj. ski resorts. In just the past few years it has added establishments like The Grand America, which blows anything in most national Downtown markets out of the water. When a Neimans or a Saks comes to Salt Lake, and they will, it will be at the heart of it's CBD, not in some far off, upscale suburb. How many CBDs will be able to say that. Unlike most downtowns, which are shunned by upscale tourism, Salt Lake's downtown is it's hub. In just the past couple of seasons, a major Waldorf Astoria, St. Regis, and Montage have come on line in it's adjacent resorts. Because Salt Lake's world class resorts are so close, they continue to push not only their own, but Salt Lake City's amenities upward at an astounding rate. Anyone who has kept track of Salt Lake's rise in the past ten years since the Olympics can attest to this fact. And now, The City Creek Center sets a new standard for CBDs in the West. Salt Lake's attractive CSA business climate and major resorts, will feed the continual parade of major and very beautiful projects, even in today's market. Retail is an extremely volutile industry right now, even in a relatively booming and contiually expanding market like the Wasatch Front. Salt Lake City is one of the few markets where many national heavyweights are actually expanding to. I think we're just seeing the tip of the ice berg for Salt Lake City, and it's CSA. Short of a complete implosion of the economy, we're going to see some remarkable additions into this Metro over the next ten years, much like the last ten.

For a host of reasons, the bulk of the national economy continues to shrink. However, Salt Lake's CSA market, continues to be on the short list of preferred locations to expand or move the entire business to. I shake my head every day at what States like my California are doing to their economys. Short of an internal revolution, I don't see Calif. making a 180 any time soon. California's and many other States inability to correct their situations will only continue to shift momentum to places like Salt Lake, Denver or Austin.
Although I HIGHLY doubt Neiman Marcus or Saks Fifth Avenue will open in Utah, I do think it's really awesome that SLC is getting as much as it has within the last decade and a half. TRAX, CCC, the library, etc.

And another thing you forgot to include is that it's not just whether or not a city gets a particular designer or retailer, but what CALIBER that store is. In the world of designers, there are A stores and B stores. There are many more B stores than A stores and I can bet you ANYTHING that SLC would NEVER get an A store. For example, Prada in Beverly Hills is considered a FLAGSHIP store designed by Rem Koolhaas. But even if, let's say, SLC miraculously got a Prada store, it would very unlikely carry ready to wear and would focus more on shoes and bags making it a B store.

So that makes it almost impossible for SLC to become a retail powerhouse of the West. Most of the designers and stores in LA, SF, and Las Vegas are A stores while Seattle (with the exception of Nordstrom), Portland, Phoenix have smaller stores. Seattle has a Barney's New York, but it is absolutely tiny compared to the one in Beverly Hills.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 11:49 AM
BANNED

Is this building in the downtown or a few miles outside? It's beautiful.

Is this a new buillding? If so, it's impressive! Also, are all of the streets lined with tree and flower-filled medians like this?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 11:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
^^^
Hey Robert, I noticed you really appreciated the quality of the old world style construction of This Gateway Six office
mid-rise. Like you, I'm a big proponent of these classic styles being added to the CBD, as long as they pay attention to
detail, and use quality materials.
Thanks for posting these! Although you're from LA, do you know this city well. I'm really impressed with it.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 12:05 PM
BANNED

Are all of the streets landscaped like this? At the very least is South Temple landscaped like this?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrighamYen View Post
Although I HIGHLY doubt Neiman Marcus or Saks Fifth Avenue will open in Utah, I do think it's really awesome that SLC is getting as much as it has within the last decade and a half. TRAX, CCC, the library, etc.
I totally respect your opinion Brigham, especially your appreciation for the finer things in life. No one should expect a Saks or a Neimans to make an announcement of a Salt Lake location in the next couple of years, and I realize that is perhaps what you were implying. I would strongly disagree with anyone though, regarding Salt Lake City or it's rapidly expanding metro as NEVER landing a Neiman Marcus or a Saks Fifth Avenue. I am very confident that given a reasonably healthy economy, there will be future retailers, such as Saks announced within the next five to seven years. I am from a retail background, and have managed in the past one of the highest end sections in the nation, at a Bloomingdales. Many of your A and B points are retail 101, but on the Neimans and Saks issue, it would be like telling Denver X number of years ago, that it would never have a Saks or Neimans.

Downtown Salt Lake City's retail market will not be influenced solely by it's metro inhabitants. Certainly, the continuance of Salt Lake's booming metro expansion is important, but one must also put a heavy amount of attention on it's huge visitor market. Downtown Salt Lake City is already one of the leading tourist destinations in the nation. At the peak of the former Crossroads Nordstrom, 40-plus percent of it's business was coming from out of town visitors. Downtown Salt Lake City is not like many Downtowns in the nation. For example, in the forseeable future(ten years)you will never find a flagship style Nordstrom in Downtown L.A., but it's a perfect fit right now for Downtown Salt Lake City. Downtown Salt Lake's City Creek Center, with it's adj. uber chic ski resorts, Sundance, General Conferences and a major Convention Center accross the street, is bringing total visitors into it's core by the millions. The Downtown tourist trade will only increase by leaps and bounds over the next ten years. A large percentage of those people have upper class incomes, and demand a first class retail experience along with their exciting ski trip/convention visit. For retailers, a booming Downtown Salt Lake City presents an opportunity to cash in on large seaonal spikes of visitors. These predictable events, such as the twice annual Outdoor Retailers Show, Sundance, and General Conferences twice annually, are akin to additional Christmas spikes. A Saks department store will come to Downtown Salt Lake just as surely as they came to Cherry Creek in Denver, or as surely as Major League Baseball or Football will come to Salt Lake. While Saks will probably close a few more of it's underperforming stores such as Portland, Downtown Salt Lake City will for a host of reasons, continue to build a glaringly needed niche for a Saks.

Last edited by delts145; Jun 9, 2011 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 2:10 PM
West bench livin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
Is this building in the downtown or a few miles outside? It's beautiful.
This is the new Justice Center just east of the City/County building (5th south and 3rd East).

Quote:
Is this a new buillding? If so, it's impressive! Also, are all of the streets lined with tree and flower-filled medians like this?
Yep! It's one of my favorites of the CCC development... Looks even better in person!

Quote:
Are all of the streets landscaped like this? At the very least is South Temple landscaped like this?
Most of the streetscapes surrounding Temple Square/Church Headquarters are landscaped like this. Now with City Creek opening soon, similar landscaping is/will be expanding south. My favorite streetscape is along North Temple with an artificial creek running on the north side of North Temple.

Last edited by goldcntry; Jun 9, 2011 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 3:43 PM

goldcntry, here is the north side of North Temple that you mentioned. I took this photo last year.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 6:56 PM

^^^
I love those type of shots that you take T-Mac. They remind me of something right out of a Kinkade piece.

Here are a few daylight pics of the next curb block to the east, and the recently completed Historical Records Library.

by jetsongreen

Last edited by delts145; Jun 9, 2011 at 10:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 7:06 PM
Ex Houstonian

I love that little landscaped creek out in front of that building, its very well done.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 7:55 PM
BANNED

Very beautiful.

Can you guys post photos of the fountains and other water feautures?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 8:18 PM

Here are some of my photos.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 11:00 PM
BANNED

Nice photos!

Are there any old, cast-iron ones with sculptures like one finds in the northeast?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 2:30 AM

Fountains & Water Features of Downtown Salt Lake City

Beautiful fountains and grand water features have become a
prevalent fixture of Downtown Salt Lake City over the past few
years. Each development boom seems to add many more, as Salt Lake
City's CBD marches forward in it's amazing transformation. The following
are pics of some of those water features, which have added another
level of beauty and excitement to the evolving streetscape of downtown.

A tiny hint of things to come. This is the first of what will be many water features
created for City Creek Center. Waterfalls, large streams, babbling brooks and grand fountains will soon appear one
by one, as this massive, 25 acre center nears completion.

By T-Mac

By John Martin

Olympic Plaza ~ Gateway District,
This fountain's water display is timed to music. The selection of music will often
coincide with a particular holiday or celebration.

By James Neeley

By Selah Creative

One of two historic fountains at Washington Square, looking Northwest

By Terryzaki
Looking East

By Terryzaki

By Todd Keith

LDS Business College Campus, looking North toward restored Devereaux Mansion

By Kendan Erickson
Looking South toward NBA arena

By Kendan Erickson

By Fenwic89fd

Symphony Plaza ~ Wall of water leading toward entrance of Symphony Hall

By Fenwic89fd

Temple Square

By J. Stephen

By Shafnitz

By Mansley

Water design Inc.

City Creek & Memory Grove Parks

By Kevin Delaney

By Awen Photography

By Awen Photography

By Awen Photography

By Edgar Zuniga

By Karma17

By Karma17

By Wibbet

Conference Center ~ Rooftop fountains, gardens and ground level water features

By Ringmaster006

By Austinmiles

By T-Mac

By Flyer6757

By Piercemr

Mountain Stream, which had been buried by modern progress once again runs above ground through the heart of downtown

By Jetsongreen

Salt Palace Convention Center, East Entrance

By Miss Leslie

Main Street Plaza and Adjacent Gardens

By Loganinve

South Entrance

By Micah55555

By Micah55555

By Micah55555

Little America Hotel

By Fluxn

Library Square By CPVLive

The Grand America Hotel

By Nomad Travels

By Liesel's Easel

State Capitol

By Sudweeks

Last edited by delts145; Jun 10, 2011 at 2:50 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 6:06 AM
Urban Planning Proselyte

Quote:
Thanks for posting these! Although you're from LA, do you know this city well. I'm really impressed with it.
delts should be paid a handsome allowance from Salt Lake City for how well he presents it here.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 11:12 AM

Thanks S.P., but my little contribution wouldn't be much if you guys didn't continue to take all of the great pics.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 11:31 AM

HUD secretary: Salt Lake is driving a change across America

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...s-America.html

...After signing over a $5 million grant in October — one of the largest sums doled out for regional development in the country — he wanted to see what the city plans to do with the money.

Wednesday's explanation included a walking tour of the 200 S. 500 West block, between Utah Transit Authority's Intermodal Hub and the historic Rio Grande building. It's a spot that Salt Lake Mayor Ralph Becker said used to be "a really derelict, downtrodden piece of our city" and will soon be "transformed into a new and much more healthier, walkable, livable community."...

Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan speaks after a walking tour of downtown at the Rio Grande Station in Salt Lake City Wednesday, June 1, 2011. Other participants included Salt Lake Chamber's Natalie Gochnour, left, Lt. Gov. Greg Bell, Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon, Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker and Envision Utah Chairman Robert Grow, right.

Housing secretary praises Utah growth vision

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politic...-lake.html.csp

(Christ Detrick | The Salt Lake Tribune) U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Shaun Donovan talks with Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker and Salt Lake County Mayor Peter Corroon on Wednesday during a kickoff event of the Wasatch Choice for 2040 Regional Vision. The leaders say they expect transit development to help guide growth in the future to be more reliant on walking, biking and transit and less on motor vehicles.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
I took a shot of the new Metcom Building on 500 East.

Pic By T-Mac

Old Posted Jun 10, 2011, 5:08 PM

Quote:
I totally respect your opinion Brigham, especially your appreciation for the finer things in life. No one should expect a Saks or a Neimans to make an announcement of a Salt Lake location in the next couple of years, and I realize that is perhaps what you were implying. I would strongly disagree with anyone though, regarding Salt Lake City or it's rapidly expanding metro as NEVER landing a Neiman Marcus or a Saks Fifth Avenue. I am very confident that given a reasonably healthy economy, there will be future retailers, such as Saks announced within the next five to seven years. I am from a retail background, and have managed in the past one of the highest end sections in the nation, at a Bloomingdales.
Managing the Century City Bloomingdales doesn't mean that you make the corporate decisions for other higher end department stores. My friend is a "higher level" employee at Christian Dior (he's based in NY) and worked for Gucci as well, but that doesn't mean he knows why or where the next Dior or Gucci is going to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145
Many of your A and B points are retail 101, but on the Neimans and Saks issue, it would be like telling Denver X number of years ago, that it would never have a Saks or Neimans.
It's retail 101 because that's the fundamentals of retail. An A store is bigger and offers more exclusive selections than a B store. SLC would NEVER get a West coast FLAGSHIP A-store designer that beats our any of the other larger markets like LA, SF, Las Vegas, Seattle, or even Denver.

Quote:
Downtown Salt Lake City's retail market will not be influenced solely by it's metro inhabitants.
Neither do any of the other markets in the U.S. Most retailers depend on a mixture of both local and visitors. But places like LA and SF have such a large wealthy population base that they do not depend AS MUCH on visitors.

Quote:
Certainly, the continuance of Salt Lake's booming metro expansion is important, but one must also put a heavy amount of attention on it's huge visitor market. Downtown Salt Lake City is already one of the leading tourist destinations in the nation.
Where is your source that "Downtown SLC is already one of the leading tourist destinations in the nation?" How many exactly? Is it influenced by Mormon tourism and ski trips?

Quote:
At the peak of the former Crossroads Nordstrom, 40-plus percent of it's business was coming from out of town visitors. Downtown Salt Lake City is not like many Downtowns in the nation.
You're right, it's not like Downtown Portland, Seattle, Denver, SF, Chicago, etc. It's a lot smaller.

Quote:
For example, in the forseeable future(ten years)you will never find a flagship style Nordstrom in Downtown L.A., but it's a perfect fit right now for Downtown Salt Lake City.
Downtown LA is filled with historic buildings that lend themselves well to future retail development, especially by Pershing Square and the Jewelry District, which has been waning during the economic downturn.

Downtown LA has already been APPROACHED by "uber-chic" companies that will obviously return when the economy rebounds. I'm sure you're unaware that Mandarin Oriental was supposed to go into the Grand Ave Project by the cultural "powerhouse" of the music center. As the Purple Line is extended to UCLA, the Regional Connector is completed, and the DTLA streetcar is finished, there is very little doubt that higher end retailers will enter into the market within the next ten years. Although there are plans possibly to build a flagship Nordstrom where you used to work at Century City coinciding with the subway connecting Century City, which is LA's second CBD.

Quote:
Downtown Salt Lake's City Creek Center, with it's adj. uber chic ski resorts, Sundance, General Conferences and a major Convention Center accross the street, is bringing total visitors into it's core by the millions. The Downtown tourist trade will only increase by leaps and bounds over the next ten years. A large percentage of those people have upper class incomes, and demand a first class retail experience along with their exciting ski trip/convention visit.
Do you have sources for ANY OF these claims?

Quote:
For retailers, a booming Downtown Salt Lake City presents an opportunity to cash in on large seaonal spikes of visitors. These predictable events, such as the twice annual Outdoor Retailers Show, Sundance, and General Conferences twice annually, are akin to additional Christmas spikes. A Saks department store will come to Downtown Salt Lake just as surely as they came to Cherry Creek in Denver, or as surely as Major League Baseball or Football will come to Salt Lake.
I'm glad because it will finally catch up with the rest of the nation's prospering cities.

Quote:
While Saks will probably close a few more of it's underperforming stores such as Portland, Downtown Salt Lake City will for a host of reasons, continue to build a glaringly needed niche for a Saks.
I highly doubt that but only time will tell!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations