Untitled 3 13.04%
Financial Center 6 26.09%
The Horizon 8 34.78%
Zenit Tower 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 9:48 PM
FUS RO DAH!

I voted building number 2.

#1 no way can stand. It would collapse. Twisting towers must at least have a central core to sustain the weight of it. The way the tower is now defies the laws of physics.

#4 also is badly conceived imho... those thin balconies with trees standing on top??? Where are their roots? Buildings with trees will have plenty of space for roots to grow below the surface. The way those balconies are, you dont even have space for EARTH since the entire surface must be reinforced concrete to sustain its own weight (not even counting the tree weight)

#3 was awesome too, but the renders are not that good. The tower is well conceived but I am also judging beauty, and the fact I dont even know the color of the glass detracts from the final result.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 12:43 PM
i like stuff

I swear my building could stand lol. Actually I don't know if it could but I was thinking it could be built like a segmental bridge which each floor was precast lifted into place and strung together with tension cables that were fastened to the bedrock. That way the force of the building would be pulled back toward the previous floor rather than straight down. Would that work?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 3:00 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeR View Post
I swear my building could stand lol. Actually I don't know if it could but I was thinking it could be built like a segmental bridge which each floor was precast lifted into place and strung together with tension cables that were fastened to the bedrock. That way the force of the building would be pulled back toward the previous floor rather than straight down. Would that work?
I dont think so.Can you please do a schematic?? Maybe in Sketchup itself. Draw the cables.

imho, even if this building was made of graphene or carbon nanotubles, the top floors would swing up and down with each step.

If instead of doing a corkscrew, each floor was just to the up and to the side (suppose the building looked like a staircase), the forces involved would be basically the same. On other words, it would stand unless there was something supporting the top floors.

btw, how did you planned for people to go up the building? A spiral elevator?

imho, creating a central core around which the floors would rotate (and through which there would be elevators, staircases and pipes and electricity systems), would greatly increase the realism of your project

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 1:21 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I will announce the winner/new comp later today.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup