HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 6:53 PM

Politics update

From CBC today: "NDP says it held Harper to account this fall"
Thank God, we got them on the job.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 7:27 PM
mañana is my busiest day

LOL... The NDP is doing well when they haven't managed to bankrupt the country... Look at how well Sask. is doing since they dumped the NDP there.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 7:30 PM
Home of Hyperchange

And look at how well Manitoba is doing under over 10 years of NDP majorities.

If I could have only one wish fulfilled in this lifetime, it's that everyone who can't look past party lines be removed from the voting pool. Results matter, not the colour on the campaign signs.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 12:03 AM
Heart of the Continent

Saskatchewan's wealth didn't magically and suddenly appear under the Saskatchewan Party.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 12:15 AM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post

If I could have only one wish fulfilled in this lifetime, it's that everyone who can't look past party lines be removed from the voting pool. Results matter, not the colour on the campaign signs.
If you think Manitoba is doing great, your expectations aren't very high.

Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Saskatchewan's wealth didn't magically and suddenly appear under the Saskatchewan Party.
Especially since SaskTel is still publically owned and SGI is general, compared to MPI for automobile insurance only and a privatized, richer MTS.

Have fun in Sovietchewan guys.

mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Funny, it seemed to jump out after the NDP vanished.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 12:50 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Yes it did. It wasn't until Brad Wall was elected in 2007 that potash suddenly appeared in the earth below Saskatchewan!

Similarly, oil wasn't discovered in Alberta until January 23rd, 2006.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
Funny, it seemed to jump out after the NDP vanished.
Saskatchewan's boom started in 2005.

Sask Part took office in 2007.

Holy fuck time traveling Sask Party

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 4:51 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Yes it did. It wasn't until Brad Wall was elected in 2007 that potash suddenly appeared in the earth below Saskatchewan!

Similarly, oil wasn't discovered in Alberta until January 23rd, 2006.
I thought it was discovered by Pierre Trudeau and then sold like bootleg DVDs to the rest of Canada setting off the Western part of the country

1980 I believe.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Saskatchewan's boom started in 2005.

Sask Part took office in 2007.

Holy fuck time traveling Sask Party
Haha, so true. It's funny how much credit Wall gets, when a lot of the policies he is praised for (e.g. potash royalty regime, easing rent control, etc) were actually implemented under the NDP. However, never try to convince a Wall supporter that all-time high commodity prices (500% increase in potash in less than a decade, for example) have played a role - all you'll hear in response is "well, the oil/potash/uranium/canola/etc was always there, so it HAS to be Wall that's behind this prosperity"

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 5:56 AM

I'm of the opinion that it's far easier for a government to stunt or squander prosperity than generate it, so I'm willing to give credit to Wall for not blowing the opportunities that came Saskatchewan's way.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Haha, so true. It's funny how much credit Wall gets, when a lot of the policies he is praised for (e.g. potash royalty regime, easing rent control, etc) were actually implemented under the NDP. However, never try to convince a Wall supporter that all-time high commodity prices (500% increase in potash in less than a decade, for example) have played a role - all you'll hear in response is "well, the oil/potash/uranium/canola/etc was always there, so it HAS to be Wall that's behind this prosperity"
Thank god the Lingenfelter (former SK NDP Leader) didn't get elected then. Because he was going to change everything the Calvert brought in to ignite the boom. The NDP platform really allowed Wall to hammer them by basically telling the SK voter "Why is Lingenfelter destroying everything that Calvert built to get the province going?"
Wall himself has said that the Calvert government did a lot of good things to get things going here. The SK party has been able to push things over the top.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 2:11 PM
mañana is my busiest day

We can all joke now about how great the NDP was, but during the time I lived in Alberta, 1980-95, there were so many economic refugees from Sask. escaping the NDP and moving to Alberta, that it wasn't funny... and most of that period was a difficult time for Alberta.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 2:55 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
We can all joke now about how great the NDP was, but during the time I lived in Alberta, 1980-95, there were so many economic refugees from Sask. escaping the NDP and moving to Alberta, that it wasn't funny... and most of that period was a difficult time for Alberta.
As they say, Calgary is Saskatchewans biggest city. Possibly Manitoba and Newfoundland too...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 3:47 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Manitboa's economy is now essentially equal to both Ontario's and British Columbia's on a per capita basis. Both ecomonmic growth and population growth are good (except for this year, due to a small water problem). Before the recession, Manitoba was growing fastes than most other provinces.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 4:45 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
It's one of the best in the country right now in terms of employment and economic growth. It's really only behind SK and AB which both have massive currently-in-demand resources.

Not sure what kind of expectations you're looking for. Being one of the best performing regions in one of the best performing countries on the planet is pretty damned impressive if you ask me.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post

God yes!!! THAT is a wish I can get behind!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Interesting time period you've chosen, for most of that period (9 years) Grant Devine and the Progressive Conservatives ran Saskatchewan. Can you really blame the NDP for the economic doldrums of that era? Especially when the resources boom collapsed the year prior?

I also seem to recall that when the PCs left government in 1991 it was under the cloud of a large number of indictments for expense account fraud.

So for a 15 year period people from Saskatchewan were fleeing a government that was only in office for six of those years?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendjack View Post
Interesting time period you've chosen, for most of that period (9 years) Grant Devine and the Progressive Conservatives ran Saskatchewan. Can you really blame the NDP for the economic doldrums of that era? Especially when the resources boom collapsed the year prior?

I also seem to recall that when the PCs left government in 1991 it was under the cloud of a large number of indictments for expense account fraud.

So for a 15 year period people from Saskatchewan were fleeing a government that was only in office for six of those years?
We should be glad that he is only blaming the NDP for Devine's economy. Next thing you know he'll be blaming them for the Devine ministry's blatant corruption.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada