HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Amazing! I love it when all 4 corners of an intersection has a building on it.
Excellent. That corner has always bothered me! I remember when three corners were empty, will be great to see it filled in. That area gets a ton of foot traffic heading towards the El. Also a a general thing, will be glad to see some investment in data science in the area, which should fuel future growth in tech.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 3:44 AM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Also a a general thing, will be glad to see some investment in data science in the area, which should fuel future growth in tech.
This is the most exciting part of this development for me. glad they’re looking at its focus holistically instead of pigeonholing it into one school

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I don't know if this is a current proposal but the pic shows there is a shovel on site.

1111 s broad render 3

(My God I hate that 1001 S Broad Street development)
1111 s broad render 4

ocfrealty.com/naked-philly/passyunk-square/renderings-emerge-for-1111-s-broad-street?fbclid=IwAR2mlPxnTFL9LmpMe6vROKmF4kvmLPv3YTqWdEFGAex4hMEBL7H4qfYnqo4
Not sure if it has been reported on here but the shovel at 1111 S. Broad has commenced digging. According to the permit posted on-site, it looks like it will be 53 units plus vacant commercial as reported in that ocf realty link. So I guess that means the closed down Papa John's isn't part of the project. There is still a long way to go, but the Broad and Washington area is taking another step forward.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 1:53 PM
Philly Rising Up!

I like this project, good scale and size all and all.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post

This is good news. Penn needs to beef up its chops in Data Science and Engineering in general.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
Not sure if it has been reported on here but the shovel at 1111 S. Broad has commenced digging. According to the permit posted on-site, it looks like it will be 53 units plus vacant commercial as reported in that ocf realty link. So I guess that means the closed down Papa John's isn't part of the project. There is still a long way to go, but the Broad and Washington area is taking another step forward.
Isn't there also a proposed building in the lot next to St Ritas? Not sure there's been any movement in the last year or two, but there was definitely a plan there at some point that made a lot of sense.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
This is good news. Penn needs to beef up its chops in Data Science and Engineering in general.
Agreed. Although with respect to Engineering, Penn already has been spending enormous sums over the past couple of decades to beef up its chops in Engineering, e.g., Levine Hall and Weiss Tech House, bioengineering building, nanotechnology building, Pennovation Works, planned Energy Science and Technology building, under-construction Tangen Hall (for entrepreneurship and new product development in partnership with Engineering), Vagelos Integrated Program in Energy Research, etc. And of course, consistent with Penn's ethos and defining brand, much of this is interdisciplinary in nature, as apparently will be the new Data Science building.

Also, for what it's worth, US News currently ranks Penn Engineering as one of the top 20 Engineering schools in the country at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Hopefully, Penn's goal is to move Penn Engineering into the top 10.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Isn't there also a proposed building in the lot next to St Ritas? Not sure there's been any movement in the last year or two, but there was definitely a plan there at some point that made a lot of sense.
Yes, a mid-rise senior housing proposal, I believe. No movement though - still being used as a gravel parking lot for the church

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 4:44 PM

Met Fresh supermarket, 166 homes and WURD Radio are moving to Mantua

Read more here:
https://whyy.org/articles/met-fresh-...ing-to-mantua/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 5:18 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Retail spaces at the long-stalled project at 4224 Baltimore are now being listed with a completion date of March 2021

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 5:26 PM
Philly Pholly

I found this from 2015 about 43rd and Baltimore Avenue

4224 Baltimore Ave, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, United States

"Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell is now supporting the development of an apartment building at 43rd Street and Baltimore Avenue in West Philly, across the street from Clark Park.
Blackwell had previously declined to introduce a zoning bill that would have allowed the project—which the developers designed through a community process that was uncommonly inclusive, by most accounts—to proceed by right. The project will go to the zoning board for variances at the end of the month. A representative of Blackwell’s office told the Civic Design Review Committee on Tuesday that she supports the appeal."

https://whyy.org/articles/design-com...and-baltimore/

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 6:15 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I found this from 2015 about 43rd and Baltimore Avenue

4224 Baltimore Ave, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, United States

"Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell is now supporting the development of an apartment building at 43rd Street and Baltimore Avenue in West Philly, across the street from Clark Park.
Blackwell had previously declined to introduce a zoning bill that would have allowed the project—which the developers designed through a community process that was uncommonly inclusive, by most accounts—to proceed by right. The project will go to the zoning board for variances at the end of the month. A representative of Blackwell’s office told the Civic Design Review Committee on Tuesday that she supports the appeal."

https://whyy.org/articles/design-com...and-baltimore/
That's an old rendering. The new one-- not so nice.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
That's an old rendering. The new one-- not so nice.
Slightly higher quality image (thought cut off around the edges):

The retail leasing brochure was listed sometime in 2019, so maybe this site is active after all. About time. Wish they stuck with the old design though.

https://www2.colliers.com/en/Propert...63#RelatedDocs

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 6:45 PM

Limelight Bio, a gene-therapy spinout from Pennovation center, just signed a 25k sqft lease at 3535 Market per CoStar news.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 6:46 PM
Show me the blueprints

Looks nice to me. Could be a hell of a lot worse.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:12 AM

I've been poking around on the BLS website (Bureau of Labor Statistics) and something interesting pops out at me.

While it's disappointing that PA's unemployment rate ticked up in October to 4.2% from 4.0% in September (compared to the national average of 3.6%), what strikes me as good for the region is that 70,000 people have joined the labor force in the last year. This accounts for almost the entire increase in Pennsylvania and equates to growth of about 2.2% in one year. A number you typically see in a sun belt city.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/arc...o_10302019.htm

This compares favorably to the NY region, which lost 70K people, and even high growth regions like Atlanta, which were essentially unchanged.

Hopefully this is a combination of people both moving here, opting to stay, and potentially coming back into the workforce.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 1:09 PM

I just noticed today there is a 5 or 6 story new structure on the east side of Broad across from the Uptown Theater- I don't know that there has really been any press about this project.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I just noticed today there is a 5 or 6 story new structure on the east side of Broad across from the Uptown Theater- I don't know that there has really been any press about this project.
There are actually three projects occurring simultaneously on the 2200 block of North Broad: a foundation closer to Susquehanna, the new building that you’ve noticed, and a new building right up against the Dauphin Street exit of the BSL. The Uptown Theater itself is in the middle of getting renovated, per the tour I took of it a couple of months ago.

There are a ton of projects happening in areas where people wouldn’t expect to see them, especially in the Lower North!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:08 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
There are actually three projects occurring simultaneously on the 2200 block of North Broad: a foundation closer to Susquehanna, the new building that you’ve noticed, and a new building right up against the Dauphin Street exit of the BSL. The Uptown Theater itself is in the middle of getting renovated, per the tour I took of it a couple of months ago.

There are a ton of projects happening in areas where people wouldn’t expect to see them, especially in the Lower North!
Are you able to get any pictures to share? Some or most of us don't get up that way that much and I don't see many pics of North Philly developments. Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:27 PM

This is kind of cool: Leyline Renewable Capital to Finance Development of Major Anaerobic Digestion Facilities in Philadelphia, PA and Linden, NJ

Quote:
The two RNG Energy facilities being financed by Leyline will be among the largest carbon reduction facilities built in their respective states. The Philadelphia facility is located on a 23-acre portion of the former 1,400 acre Philadelphia Energy Solutions refinery. It will take in organic waste from the Philadelphia metro region and transform it into renewable natural gas which will be injected into the Interstate Pipeline and sold as transportation fuel. When the project was first announced last year, it was applauded by local leaders, including Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenny, for the economic and sustainability benefits it will bring to the region.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development