HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 8:21 PM

Doesn't appear as uniform as the prior design, but it'll do.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 9:08 PM

Wish they would take off the "hue" so we can properly see the render.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 11:31 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomsen View Post
Wish they would take off the "hue" so we can properly see the render.
I fixed it for you - you're welcome

colour's a bit posterized but it'll do in a pinch.

As for the design I don't like how it no longer has an "integrated" look like the original had where they used some of the original elements of the church in the part that connects it to the condo - now the front just feels like it's floating in front of a sea of glass. It feels disembodied. Still, I am glad this is moving forward. I just wonder if any architects have anything in their arsenal anymore other than steel, glass, and cheap looking prefab finishes like the part on the right. It woulda been cool if they had used the same kinda stone look on the church on that part instead of making it look like an unfinished cement block wall..

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 2:03 AM
Ham-burgher

Nice job on the colour shift Chronamut

I actually like this a lot better, even based on just one angle that had to be adjusted. The flush and inset balconies are way more attractive. Looks like it may be bulkier.

The original may have tried to "integrate" but I don't think it had succeeded either. It had the pillars and a buttress with the same/similar stone, and I seem to recall some interior renders that had some stone (?), but it was still a pretty radical contrast.

I wonder if there is still left over stone from the demolished part of the church. Or did that vanish with Stanton Renaissance's hopes and dreams.

September 2014:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
HQ Renderings!

Source

Source

Source

Source

Larger Sizes:

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 2:26 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Nice job on the colour shift Chronamut

I actually like this a lot better, even based on just one angle that had to be adjusted. The flush and inset balconies are way more attractive. Looks like it may be bulkier.

The original may have tried to "integrate" but I don't think it had succeeded either. It had the pillars and a buttress with the same/similar stone, and I seem to recall some interior renders that had some stone (?), but it was still a pretty radical contrast.

I wonder if there is still left over stone from the demolished part of the church. Or did that vanish with Stanton Renaissance's hopes and dreams.

September 2014:
There's still a ton of stone on pallets behind the facade and the rubble was never hauled off. And I agree for the most part, it seems to be more elegant. Final product will come down to material choices, if they're on par with 101 Locke or 20/22 George I think it will look quite nice.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I fixed it for you - you're welcome

colour's a bit posterized but it'll do in a pinch.

As for the design I don't like how it no longer has an "integrated" look like the original had where they used some of the original elements of the church in the part that connects it to the condo - now the front just feels like it's floating in front of a sea of glass. It feels disembodied. Still, I am glad this is moving forward. I just wonder if any architects have anything in their arsenal anymore other than steel, glass, and cheap looking prefab finishes like the part on the right. It woulda been cool if they had used the same kinda stone look on the church on that part instead of making it look like an unfinished cement block wall..

OH MY! Nicest tower in the city if this is built...like Vancouver or TO. Gorgeous.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 4:26 AM
Hamilton Historian

I'll be honest - I am not a fan of EITHER of the designs from a design standpoint - esp. considering the amt of stone buildings along this stretch and the pigott and sun life building. I just felt like more could have been done to incorporate more of the stone look. And I'm REALLY not a fan of the stone jutout area with its stalinistic narrow windows and cinderblock look.. I mean that "stone" area was a perfect place to match the stone look of the facade and even maybe the shape of the windows but it just feels cheapened out.. once again.. imo. I am a traditionalist so super modern buildings just.. well I guess I'm the opposite of david cappi in that respect. I understand that what we want isn't always what can actually happen though, and obv., it would have made it more expensive, although from the sounds of it this company DOES have deep pockets..

I mean It's not BAD - and probably better from a sleek perspective than the original design - it's just imo the facade looks too stark in comparison to the rest of the building. It doesn't feel seamlessly integrated. At least the original used the same stone for the pillars as the original church and kept the church windows for the interior lobby so it still felt like you were entering into a church.. I dunno.. the whole raping a church to this extent to connect a modern condo to it I still find unsettling.. I just think the original might have respected that fusion a bit more. Once again, just my opinion, and I'm entitled to it. I'll obv. be happy whatever happens to this I just would have done it differently myself. My mom used to work for the sisters of st. joseph convent too so she used to work out of this building as well as part of her stops so maybe it's a bit personal for me as well.

Perhaps seeing other angles of this render might help as well - it's kinda hard to judge a building off one angle...

Last edited by Chronamut; May 8, 2019 at 4:38 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 3:47 PM

I just hope they build the damned thing in first place...

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 4:12 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis137 View Post
I just hope they build the damned thing in first place...
Amen to that.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 7:22 PM

Actually I think the only way this gets built is the Vrancor route, build it and then worry about who will occupy it. Waiting two years to get 70-80% committed, this project will never happen. They need to show they are real.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 12:36 AM
Forever forward.

Today:

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 1:26 AM
Forever forward.

Here's another render from the Facebook page:

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 2:16 AM
Ham-burgher

This Spec story has more about the restoration work and a couple of images.

$5M needed to repair church frontage of Connolly project in Hamilton
The new owners of the development on James Street South say they’re committed to saving remains of James Street Baptist Church.
https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...t-in-hamilton/

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 3:54 PM
Hamilton Historian

I am glad they are keeping "the connolly" name - it didn't make sense to change it.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 9:33 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

hard to believe that's Hamilton downtown. fantastic.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 12:19 AM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I am glad they are keeping "the connolly" name - it didn't make sense to change it.
Connolly Condos

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 2:29 PM

Be warned - the renderings make it look like nice shiny glass but if you look closely it’s a spandrel clad mess that’s going to come out looking very cheap and very grey.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 6:24 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Be warned - the renderings make it look like nice shiny glass but if you look closely it’s a spandrel clad mess that’s going to come out looking very cheap and very grey.
Yup, hence my meh - always be leery of very reflective looking renderings, esp. if the reflections aren't really characteristic of that type of build.

You get a better feel for it in the first rendering screamingviking posted.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:30 AM

[IMG]Connolly - 1 by Hayden Duench, on Flickr[/IMG]Connolly - 2 by Hayden Duench, on Flickr

I've been following this project for a while now and decided to share the design charrette I put together around 6 months ago. The idea for the tower was centered on large communal balconies instead of the tiny ones that are limited in practicality. The aim of the facade was to lighten the towers interaction with the existing church. Just a half baked concept that needs more refinement but thought i'd share.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:46 AM

Quality work!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton