HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 10:05 PM
It's Hammer Time

71 Rebecca St | 97 m | 30 fl | Proposed

Sonoma Homes is proposing a 40-storey building on Rebecca Street between John Street and Catharine Street. David Premi is the project architect.

More info:

https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2017/...ebecca-street/

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 10:11 PM

Can't wait to see it. This is tbe one we've been waiting for, as far as location goes. Those two lots flanking either side will be gone in no time. :p

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 10:16 PM

This is the landmark building I was mentioning several weeks ago. Perfect location for height since there is literally nothing around.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 10:53 PM

interesting , but skeptical - suburban house builder ...

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 11:33 PM
It's Hammer Time

Five or seven years ago Spallacci was only doing suburban housing developments.

I think the Liberal's Greenbelt has a lot do with suburban developers refocusing on urban centres.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 3:06 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

I think the Liberal's Greenbelt has a lot do with suburban developers refocusing on urban centres.
so many condos being built.. while commercial buildings everywhere stand empty..

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 1:22 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
so many condos being built.. while commercial buildings everywhere stand empty..
Condos mean workers and shoppers, which mean commercial buildings will fill in.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

Given that there was basically nothing built in Hamilton in the 90s and 00s, and that even since then it's basically been Vrancor and a bunch of conversions, it's still pretty much virgin territory for 'urban developers' in Hamilton. There's no Tridel moving in so there's a big void to be filled.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 9:54 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Condos mean workers and shoppers, which mean commercial buildings will fill in.
hopefully they don't just fill up with commuters to toronto who have been priced out of toronto.. I would like to see more businesses return to hamilton.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
hopefully they don't just fill up with commuters to toronto who have been priced out of toronto.. I would like to see more businesses return to hamilton.
Most Torontonians who move to Hamilton aren't going to quit their jobs for a non-existent job in Hamilton. They're going to commute to Toronto for work - there's no way around that. But at least it increases the population downtown with people who have higher incomes - leading to an economic surge in Hamilton. We've tried to sell downtown to Hamiltonians for many years and it's happening way too slowly. Toronto's helping us move forward much faster.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 10:31 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Most Torontonians who move to Hamilton aren't going to quit their jobs for a non-existent job in Hamilton. They're going to commute to Toronto for work - there's no way around that. But at least it increases the population downtown with people who have higher incomes - leading to an economic surge in Hamilton. We've tried to sell downtown to Hamiltonians for many years and it's happening way too slowly. Toronto's helping us move forward much faster.
as long as it doesn't price hamiltonians out of hamilton. And hopefully those torontonians will come here seeking to open businesses.. I know some have..

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
as long as it doesn't price hamiltonians out of hamilton.
Unfortunately, that's exactly what's happening and it's hard to avoid. Hamiltonians are often outbid on homes/condos. Torontonians are laughing at the "low prices" in Hamilton. They're amazed at what they can get for 500-600k - while a lot of Hamltonians can't fathom paying that much.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 12:55 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Unfortunately, that's exactly what's happening and it's hard to avoid. Hamiltonians are often outbid on homes/condos. Torontonians are laughing at the "low prices" in Hamilton. They're amazed at what they can get for 500-600k - while a lot of Hamltonians can't fathom paying that much.
yeah and hamiltonians are selling their houses at way over the asking price.. and then realizing that anything they have to buy after, is gonna be jacked up even more..

hamilton is gonna turn into burlington - hot dog mansion families lol - you can afford food or a house, which will it be? A house? Then you shall only afford hot dogs haha..

that or do what they do in toronto and have like 10 people to a house..

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 2:46 AM

We need MORE housing options, not less. Thankfully the Beasley Association isn't filled with NIMBY hillbillies like Durand. Anyone who opposes high-rise housing can't ever utter a word about housing affordability or options.

Starting condos can readily be found in the middle of Canada's biggest and most prosperous city at cheaper prices than a lower quality unit in a building with fewer amenities, in HAMILTON. As much as we all love this city, let's be honest, downtown TO is one of the most booming downtowns in N. America and should be priced accordingly.

Units starting at 300k - https://condonow.com/Local-at-Fort-York
Units starting at 250k - https://condonow.com/7-On-The-Park-Condos

How about Mississauga in a new condo community starting in the mid-200's
https://condonow.com/The-Wesley-Tower

I know people in Hamilton paying base prices of 450k for lame little units in buildings with no gym, no pool, still need a car etc.....

Brad Lamb is proposing to start the prices in the 200's at the CHCH site and I suspect this new build on Rebecca will also offer some cheaper starter units.

The people criticizing 'condos' should have made themselves useful sometime in the last 5 decades when all we did was build expensive McMansions across the country-side.

Condos ARE the solution to our housing affordability problems, not the cause of them.
Highrise condos allow the costs to be spread over more units.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 2:47 AM

Hamilton is a big place and there are still lots of cheap houses, its just certain neighbourhoods that are "expensive". It does however seem that rent has gone up all over the city. Cant wait to see some more 40 story buildings!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 3:18 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
We need MORE housing options, not less. Thankfully the Beasley Association isn't filled with NIMBY hillbillies like Durand. Anyone who opposes high-rise housing can't ever utter a word about housing affordability or options.

Starting condos can readily be found in the middle of Canada's biggest and most prosperous city at cheaper prices than a lower quality unit in a building with fewer amenities, in HAMILTON. As much as we all love this city, let's be honest, downtown TO is one of the most booming downtowns in N. America and should be priced accordingly.

Units starting at 300k - https://condonow.com/Local-at-Fort-York
Units starting at 250k - https://condonow.com/7-On-The-Park-Condos

How about Mississauga in a new condo community starting in the mid-200's
https://condonow.com/The-Wesley-Tower

I know people in Hamilton paying base prices of 450k for lame little units in buildings with no gym, no pool, still need a car etc.....

Brad Lamb is proposing to start the prices in the 200's at the CHCH site and I suspect this new build on Rebecca will also offer some cheaper starter units.

The people criticizing 'condos' should have made themselves useful sometime in the last 5 decades when all we did was build expensive McMansions across the country-side.

Condos ARE the solution to our housing affordability problems, not the cause of them.
Highrise condos allow the costs to be spread over more units.
oh I don't deny any of that - but I also realize that this city needs COMPANIES to come here for people to work at - otherwise we will be like lamb stated.. a suburb of toronto - a city of only condos where everyone lives to work out of toronto.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
oh I don't deny any of that - but I also realize that this city needs COMPANIES to come here for people to work at - otherwise we will be like lamb stated.. a suburb of toronto - a city of only condos where everyone lives to work out of toronto.

I see no other way for that to happen other than adding 10's of thousands of new residents to our city....especially downtown in the urban city.
Business goes where the educated, qualified workforce is. That's why business isn't flocking to Hamilton because we're cheap. They're flocking to expensive downtown Toronto because the educated, next-gen workforce is there.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 9:49 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
And they will come. Commuters don't want to have to drive all the way to Toronto to go shopping, big name stores are happy to set up across the GTA, and since downtown Hamilton is especially appealing to a more urban focused crowd it will bring more urban focused stores.

Those stores will mean more jobs in the local economy. It won't just be retail though as the new stores will want insurance companies and banking options and whatnot, which snowballs into more office jobs in the area too. Add to that improving transit options into the downtown and it will be a more attractive place to set up shop. And some of those Toronto commuters will go entrepreneur on their own, and probably won't want to commute all the way to Toronto and risk that rent.

It might remain a little light on office towers compared to Winnipeg or Quebec city, but not suburbia levels.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 11:24 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
And they will come. Commuters don't want to have to drive all the way to Toronto to go shopping, big name stores are happy to set up across the GTA, and since downtown Hamilton is especially appealing to a more urban focused crowd it will bring more urban focused stores.

Those stores will mean more jobs in the local economy. It won't just be retail though as the new stores will want insurance companies and banking options and whatnot, which snowballs into more office jobs in the area too. Add to that improving transit options into the downtown and it will be a more attractive place to set up shop. And some of those Toronto commuters will go entrepreneur on their own, and probably won't want to commute all the way to Toronto and risk that rent.

It might remain a little light on office towers compared to Winnipeg or Quebec city, but not suburbia levels.
it's a bit of a catch 22.. people flood in, businesses come, housing properties go up, people flee to a farther away city thats cheaper to commute to said city, and then repeat the process in that city..

I wonder if hamilton will ever grow to the size of toronto and suffer from the same exorbitant prices..

also one thing that drives commercial away from hamilton is the super high business and property taxes.. I hear ours are some of the highest. I know a few that closed down because of that.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 7:44 PM

Saw the conceptual design; similar to the Marilyn Monroe Buildingd in Mississauga.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton