HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

181 Fremont in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 3:03 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
And here's the real render, because you just can't see it enough:

Source
This building is a stunner, very awesome

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
This building is a stunner, very awesome
Congrats SF on the skyline changer. I used to remember the days Chicago would build beautiful buildings

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 5:14 PM

It's definitely a stunner! San Francisco is long overdue for such a great tower. And...the Transbay Tower is going to wipe it dry.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 10:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
It's definitely a stunner! San Francisco is long overdue for such a great tower. And...the Transbay Tower is going to wipe it dry.
I wish the two could swap heights.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2013, 8:07 PM
She needs her space

Update - weekend of 11/30.

Definitely a drill of some sort, not a pile driver. The same exact drill can be found at TB Block 6/7, photographed Here:

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 1:50 AM
Green Berniecrat

I'm glad to see another one of my favorites progressing. Kudos to Jay Paul and Co for moving rapidly on this one. I was almost tempted to post the updated rendering once again because it just looks that good. I'll see if I can swing by later this week and check it out in person.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 3:22 AM
Green Berniecrat

One of the sites I walked by today, seems like activity is picking up. I'm really excited for this one!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 4:20 AM
Only Mostly Dead

So excited for this project. It's hard to believe what could end up being my 3 favorite buildings in the city -- this, 350 Mission, and 535 Mission -- are all under construction at the same time.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
So excited for this project. It's hard to believe what could end up being my 3 favorite buildings in the city -- this, 350 Mission, and 535 Mission -- are all under construction at the same time.
No love for Transbay?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 5:31 PM
Only Mostly Dead

It's fine, but I don't think it will be one of my top 5 -- probably top 10 though. But you never know until they're all built, so that could change. Pelli's designs have a lot of detailing and texture that's hard to appreciate fully in renderings. I could very well be underestimating the finished product.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 1:38 AM
Build Baby Build

This is the best high rise U/C because it pushes San Francisco Architecture five steps forward. Transbay Tower is great, I like it, but it is very Pelli Clark tower. I also love 500 Folsom which I don't think will be appreciated until its finished and Folsom street 'awakens'.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 9:53 AM
She needs her space

They were putting steel in the ground tonight. I actually requested the mods move this to official construction.

They're really working round the clock on this - Jay Paul is super aggressive, super risk averse (given his insane history), and clearly wants to be out of the ground soon and one of the first to deliver in this cycle of high rise office buildings.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 10:21 AM

Yes!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 1:17 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
They were putting steel in the ground tonight. I actually requested the mods move this to official construction.

They're really working round the clock on this - Jay Paul is super aggressive, super risk averse (given his insane history), and clearly wants to be out of the ground soon and one of the first to deliver in this cycle of high rise office buildings.
These beams look like soldier-piles for excavation hence this would not be under-construction in accordance with SSP criteria. Drills rigs can also be used to install soldier-piles.

The steel has to be connected to a foundation element; not just popping up through the dirt. Are there any photos of caissons or a floating foundation?

-sb

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 2:15 PM

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 4:09 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
These beams look like soldier-piles for excavation hence this would not be under-construction in accordance with SSP criteria. Drills rigs can also be used to install soldier-piles.

The steel has to be connected to a foundation element; not just popping up through the dirt. Are there any photos of caissons or a floating foundation?
Damn. No. I tried. You must pay very close attention to this project - you've corrected me twice now within seconds of my posts on 181 Fremont alone! lol

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 5:11 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
Damn. No. I tried. You must pay very close attention to this project - you've corrected me twice now within seconds of my posts on 181 Fremont alone! lol
Being in the construction industry for some years will teach one a few things. Though I can only comment on what I see from the photo updates provided by follow forumers. A few pages ago someone posted that a substantial amount of excavation will occur. This same individual posted a cut-section through the structure in which sub-levels were shown.

I wonder if there will be a webcam installed to monitor the progress of this beauty.

Are there any hotels within the immediate blocks surrounding this site? I ask since some hotels have windows in hallways and /or elevator lobbies. If so, perhaps one can could take some pics looking down; if these windows face the site.

-sb

Last edited by shakman; Jan 8, 2014 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 6:57 PM

Shakman, the transbay terminal construction cam gives a good view of the site, upper left, on most days.

http://transbaycenter.org/constructi...mission-camera

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 7:11 PM
She needs her space

The project has been moved to Construction, so I suppose the official rules have been broken - but I'm not too concerned about this; SF is still the hottest real estate market in the country right now and this is only ~400,000 SF of office (the bigger risk) and 50+ high end condos that will surely sell for record prices to foreigners and rich locals (definitely not worried there).

At the speed they're going and given the tiny footprint of the tower and the site, excavation, shoring, and foundation work should not take long at all and this thing could be going vertical before River Point in Chicago (that thing has been officially UC by SSP standards for a long while now and they've taken forever on site prep thus far with no signs of the tower going vertical yet).

Plus Jay Paul is a huge gambler. He's clearly gunning to deliver this thing asap - he's probably in a race against Tishman Speyer (222 Second), Kilroy (333 Brannan), and others to deliver quickly. He's been known to double-down on real estate bets in the Valley in tough times, so whatever happens to the economy, it seems like this is his baby project for the time being and he will make sure it happens.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 7:29 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman_95046 View Post
Shakman, the transbay terminal construction cam gives a good view of the site, upper left, on most days.

http://transbaycenter.org/constructi...mission-camera
Thanks rocketman. The time-lapse shows the drill rig is working along the perimenter of the site. Also one can see what appears to be tube steel struts through the glare, far upper left, towards the end of the video. These types of struts are part of the shoring for excavation.

Very cool stuff. Thanks to all for the insight and information.

-sb

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive