HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Upper James & Stone Church Development Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 12:48 PM

Nice addition

I think this would be a great thing. But OMG what about the Tim Hortons?
If these huge buildings go up, it will mean plenty of built in local business to what is there. East Side Marios, the gym (is it still operational) Too bad about the cinema. I think that Denninger's will expand and provide immediate needs to the residents. Only a short trot to Hooters. I imagine many will be commuters so the car dealers will be utilized. The A Line would go straight to the GO train.
I agree that the Upper James Speedway or Calidonia expressway has to be tamed. Anticipate major grid lock at peak hours.
The sidewalks can be used but I know that I don't enjoy or prefer to walk along a major throughfare with all the nise and exhaust and you cannot relax or let down your guard incase a speeding car jumps the curb. Sidewalks never guarentee personal safety.
Just out of curiosity, roughly how many people would live in these two structures and how many condo/suites.
Local furniture stores United and the Brick as well as Future shop will make a killing.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 2:19 PM

Thanks Palace1 and Steeltown for the answers.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 12:12 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff's two cents View Post
I'd be interesting in seeing whether/how the area changes for the better in terms of providing a less pedestrian-unfriendly environment.

Having lived downtown, I beg to differ - Main St. aside, obviously.

More power to you - though, if pedestrian traffic is at all what I remember it being in summer 2008, you're something of an anomaly.
So your arguing that because there is not alot of people using the street that it is unfriendly to pedestrians. I would argue that there aren't many people actually living close enough to the street to be able to make a determination as to whether or not it is friendly. Maybe adding a couple of new buildings like this as well as a few more will increase pedestrian traffic thus making it pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 3:04 PM

I think that area is more pedestrian unfriendly due to loud traffic, having to walk long distances and across parking lots to access businesses, which themselves are spread farther apart from each other than in an urban (downtown) setting, and because the area itself is visually uninteresting. Its boring, noisy, and destinations are far apart.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2011, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhornich View Post
I think that area is more pedestrian unfriendly due to loud traffic, having to walk long distances and across parking lots to access businesses, which themselves are spread farther apart from each other than in an urban (downtown) setting, and because the area itself is visually uninteresting. Its boring, noisy, and destinations are far apart.
Thank-you - yes, that's what I meant. bigguy, I'm definitely open to the possibility that you (and perhaps a - very - few others) actually enjoy walking on those sidewalks, but I can remember from my own personal experience that the few pilgrimmages that I had to make from the lower to the upper city during my time in Hamilton were, as a pedestrian, among the least bearable days I spent in the city during my 1.5 years there.

Transit? Infrequent at best, with buses stuffed to the brim when they did finally arrive. Relief from the heat and/or cold in the form of shade trees and/or heated/air-conditioned-heated coffee shops, etc.? Virtually none. Possibility for a pleasant conversation? What with the noise and exhaust, absolutely none.

Here's my summary of the two types of street, with pictures for visual reference. Pedestrian-unfriendly street: loud traffic, long distances between buildings, narrow sidewalks with nothing separating them from traffic, building entrances (and often windows as well) oriented away from the street, "free" parking. These sidewalks are completely empty (in all directions) for a good reason, as the area was never designed with bipeds in mind. Consequently, very few people in their right mind would walk here if they didn't have to:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...12,173.21,,0,0

Pedestrian-friendly street: traffic-calmed, usually barriers between traffic and pedestrians in the form of parallel parking, trees, etc., nice wide sidewalks, buildings spaced at pedestrian scales and street-oriented, pay parking. Not surprisingly, there are pedestrians in this picture. After all, the street and sidewalk itself are designed to be a pleasurable pedestrian experience, so as to entice window-shoppers, etc. You did say any downtown street, so I chose James North, but Locke, King (the downtown part anyways, Hess, Caroline, Augusta, James South, Markland (where I used to live), etc. would equally do. In short, almost every downtown street except for Main is preferable - from a pedestrian perspective - to the area where these towers are slated to go. Even then, I'd take living on Main St. downtown as a pedestrian over that part of Upper James any day, as I could simply choose to use cross streets instead of walking along Main itself.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...12,173.21,,0,0

Like I said though, since you say changes are coming, along with this development, I'd be curious to see what those might be - though I should add I'm pretty skeptical. It would be nice to be surprised and proven wrong here.

Last edited by geoff's two cents; Apr 23, 2011 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 5:58 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Bratina win

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 4:53 PM

I hope they can get this through with less parking spaces per unit as required by the new A-line zoning. More density, less parking and built to the street is exactly what this area needs if the A-line is to be successful. Unfortunately it takes a while for new zoning to become reality, and all the while more crap is being built.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2011, 12:05 AM
It's Hammer Time

Did anyone attend yesterday's information session? I forgot about it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:32 PM

the latest

hello all,

Looks like there's a sign thats up showing the "twin towers"

I'm going to check it out and maybe a pic.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2011, 6:06 PM
It's Hammer Time

There's a bylaw change sign up along Stone Church.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 10:59 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Sorry to update this after it being dead so long, but is there any new news about these towers?

Guess these were cancelled then?

Last edited by Beedok; Jul 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Sorry to update this after it being dead so long, but is there any new news about these towers?

Guess these were cancelled then?
Seeing as Beedok didn't get a reply to this ^ and I am also curious if anyone has any information on if these are still happening, I figured I would post here and get this brought back up to the "10 Latest Active Threads" section again so someone that might have some info on these could see this page and post about the towers.

So are they still planning to build these?

Any other info anyone?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 1:51 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
Seeing as Beedok didn't get a reply to this ^ and I am also curious if anyone has any information on if these are still happening, I figured I would post here and get this brought back up to the "10 Latest Active Threads" section again so someone that might have some info on these could see this page and post about the towers.

So are they still planning to build these?

Any other info anyone?
I think they are still going through the rezoning process.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
I think they are still going through the rezoning process.
Thanks for the info

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 3:05 AM

No news for a year - or years - doesn't mean a project is dead. It's just the way she goes when you're working with government to get something done.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2012, 12:40 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
No news for a year - or years - doesn't mean a project is dead. It's just the way she goes when you're working with government to get something done.
Glad to hear it. I had feared the worst considering these seemed fairly nice, and this is Hamilton we're talking about, the city doesn't exactly seem to have the best luck.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 8:06 AM

update...

They're called "Riccio Towers"

Riccio Towers

Source

Source

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 9:32 PM
Hammer'd

It would be amazing to see something like that constructed downtown, but I'm still happy to see some intensification on the mountain. Really amazing design.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 1:26 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
It would be amazing to see something like that constructed downtown, but I'm still happy to see some intensification on the mountain. Really amazing design.
They would have to be a bit of a distance I think, they need to be a focal point and are too short to be one too close to the core. (At least that's my opinion.)

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 9:39 PM

There's been a new Public Notice sign up since July. Has anyone seen what it says? I've driven by it twice, but I couldn't slow down enough to see it.

source

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton