HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 5:56 PM

1021 West 5th | 31 m | 9 fl | Under Construction

Last edited by SteelTown; Jun 4, 2019 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 7:05 PM
Hamilton Historian

Very legoland

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 6:04 PM

What are everyones thoughts about the location of this development?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 8:34 PM

A bit random as site selection goes , but on arterial road and presumably has transit along Stone Church, so seems appropriate. Then again, it over 2 storeys tall, and for sure will attract NIMBY brigade.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
A bit random as site selection goes , but on arterial road and presumably has transit along Stone Church, so seems appropriate. Then again, it over 2 storeys tall, and for sure will attract NIMBY brigade.
I was gonna mention the height. Crazy how people on the Mountain will even complain about height. Clearly, this isn't just a downtown issue.

I'm just not sure how desirable this area would be when deciding to purchase a condo? I'm sure the build will turn out great if it gets built but is this a super desirable area for condos?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 6:22 PM
Hamilton Historian

I can somewhat understand the argument for height downtown - but there really is no argument for height up on the escarpment - there are no natural features it would be blocking and it actually is complementary if you are able to see giant structures on the top of the escarpment.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I can somewhat understand the argument for height downtown - but there really is no argument for height up on the escarpment - there are no natural features it would be blocking and it actually is complementary if you are able to see giant structures on the top of the escarpment.
"tRaFIc!"

"SHoEbOXs!"

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 2:07 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
"tRaFIc!"

"SHoEbOXs!"
"My yard will be in permanent shadow!"

"They'll be able to watch everything that happens on my property!!"

"I didn't buy my home expecting to have a gargantuan building put up so close by!!!"

"My home's value will plummet!!!!"

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 2:18 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
"tRaFIc!"

"SHoEbOXs!"
That's a big shoebox.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 12:37 PM

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus83 View Post
Image if these height people were around 100ish years ago.

They would have whined about the piggott building, You cant build that, its out of character with the neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
Image if these height people were around 100ish years ago.

They would have whined about the piggott building, You cant build that, its out of character with the neighborhood.
For sure.

These quotes from Em Del Sordo are insane:

Area resident Em Del Sordo says he has several concerns including the size and scope of the building, increased traffic, the ability of local water and sewer services to serve the building, and the potential for the units to become Mohawk College student housing.

“Can West 5th handle the congestion of 1,000-plus cars?” asked Del Sordo, who added he is also concerned about the compatibility of the development with the Ressam Gardens residence for seniors with dementia that’s being built nearby, and that the development will negatively impact the health and well-being of the existing residents at the gardens.

"The ability of local water and sewer services to serve the building," really? It is 2019, I think we can handle a ten floor building in a sea of single family housing.

"that the development will negatively impact the health and well-being of the existing residents at the gardens" I really doubt Em gives a shit about the health and well-being of these dementia patients.

Is the Em Del Sordo speaking here the Em Del Sordo who is principal at Dundas Valley Secondary School? Because if it is, given Hamilton's rental crisis, that's pretty sad. Single family housing for me, no rental apartments for thee.

Pretty sad comments from Danko:

John-Paul Danko, the councillor for the area, said he’s not enthusiastic about the development.

“I feel the residents do have a very strong point that the development is out of character for that location,” Danko said. “I can’t make a decision on it until I see a final report from our professional planners.”

If I had to say, I doubt Danko has any problem with the project, but his politics would probably work better in a downtown ward than in the NIMBY filled Mountain.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
For sure.

These quotes from Em Del Sordo are insane:

Area resident Em Del Sordo says he has several concerns including the size and scope of the building, increased traffic, the ability of local water and sewer services to serve the building, and the potential for the units to become Mohawk College student housing.

“Can West 5th handle the congestion of 1,000-plus cars?” asked Del Sordo, who added he is also concerned about the compatibility of the development with the Ressam Gardens residence for seniors with dementia that’s being built nearby, and that the development will negatively impact the health and well-being of the existing residents at the gardens.

"The ability of local water and sewer services to serve the building," really? It is 2019, I think we can handle a ten floor building in a sea of single family housing.

"that the development will negatively impact the health and well-being of the existing residents at the gardens" I really doubt Em gives a shit about the health and well-being of these dementia patients.

Is the Em Del Sordo speaking here the Em Del Sordo who is principal at Dundas Valley Secondary School? Because if it is, given Hamilton's rental crisis, that's pretty sad. Single family housing for me, no rental apartments for thee.

Pretty sad comments from Danko:

John-Paul Danko, the councillor for the area, said he’s not enthusiastic about the development.

“I feel the residents do have a very strong point that the development is out of character for that location,” Danko said. “I can’t make a decision on it until I see a final report from our professional planners.”

If I had to say, I doubt Danko has any problem with the project, but his politics would probably work better in a downtown ward than in the NIMBY filled Mountain.
Having spoken to Danko, the guy is basically a genius compared to the rest of council. He likely opposes this in some way because of politics. He very much seems like an urban ward 1,2,3 councillor, but he is on the mountain.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 2:43 PM

thanks for article, there is a link in it for the Valery Homes Urbanshare - concept plan, ton of other docs

https://1021west5th.urbanshare.info/resources/

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
thanks for article, there is a link in it for the Valery Homes Urbanshare - concept plan, ton of other docs

https://1021west5th.urbanshare.info/resources/
Aye, you're welcome!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 10:52 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

“It’s way out of whack with what’s in the neighbourhood,” he said, “A 10-storey building would be like a skyscraper.”

Due to the complexity of the project, a report is not expected to go to the planning committee until the spring.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 10:56 PM

this happened all along Mohawk in the 60s and 70s, built some great stretches of rental units. I like the stretch between Gage and James, lots of different boilings from 3-floor walk ups to 15 floors. It only makes sense this happens to Stonechurch now. It happened on Concession, Fennell, then Mohawk. Now the link and Stonechurch is next. Watch City Council fail on Stonechurch and let Nimby's design a car dependent sprawl. You can't call Stonechurch a neighbourhood yet. Look at the design of Sherman and Stonechurch. Needs to be rezoned high density for the sake of the mountain Danko.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 11:15 PM

I have a sense that if this building weren't so painfully bland, people might be more enthusiastic about it. It looks like a hospital (with balconies). I wouldn't want this in my neighbourhood either.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I have a sense that if this building weren't so painfully bland, people might be more enthusiastic about it. It looks like a hospital (with balconies). I wouldn't want this in my neighbourhood either.
I really doubt Em Del Sardo and the other resident complainers cares about the design. He said his reasons, and design certainly wasn't one of them. Councillor Danko didn't mention design.

It is a building at Stonechurch and West 5th. Design seems fine to me for the location. In a time of ridiculous rents in Hamilton, any new supply is welcome.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 11:20 PM

this has nothing to do with the design. It looks better than most of Mohawk. Stonechurch needs to get more density.

it doesn't look that bad to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton