HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:40 PM

Have you guys seen the new BSL article? Its realy great news. For years I've been wanting to see downtown grow west, and now the city council is on board with the idea too.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbash View Post
Have you guys seen the new BSL article? Its realy great news. For years I've been wanting to see downtown grow west, and now the city council is on board with the idea too.
Nice read.

Here is the link:

How request for taller buildings in the Depot District could lead to a taller Downtown

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/how...ller-downtown/

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 5:13 PM
Space Magi

Is this still a proposal or did it die when Galileo decided to build elsewhere? This would be a nice addition to the Depot area and would compliment UTA's plans for their Salt Lake Central headquarters.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 8:13 PM

Salt Lake Tribune has an article out on the proposed new TRAX station at 650 South Main Street.
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...-trax-station/

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Is this still a proposal or did it die when Galileo decided to build elsewhere? This would be a nice addition to the Depot area and would compliment UTA's plans for their Salt Lake Central headquarters.
The proposal itself is dead but the developer is pushing the zoning change so they can build quickly when another tech company calls.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Nice read.

Here is the link:

How request for taller buildings in the Depot District could lead to a taller Downtown

https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/how...ller-downtown/
This is great

I was really disappointed that the planning commission denied it and am glad that the city council looks to be considering the future.

Maybe if Covid causes a slowdown in building, it will give our city time to update a lot of our zoning regulations before we see the next wave of construction. We've already lost too many lots to bad new development. I'm glad Salt Lake is finally realizing that we need to start acting like a real city.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 2:47 PM

Sort-of off topic question since there hasn't been much talk about this since last year, but I saw some updated renderings on the other SLC thread about the UofU stadium expansion... There were renderings of the new Olympic plaza with the cauldron and Olympic flame, but in the renderings of the stadium itself, I'm amazed that they're not making the cauldron and flame visible from inside the stadium itself. Unless I'm mistaken.

The LA Coliseum flame is so cool to have visible during football games, I'm just surprised they didn't do something similar here.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 5:51 PM

I was wondering about that myself. I like the new monument style Plaza and commemorative plaques, but the former location as part of the Stadium was very cool. I imagine that during the next Olympics there will be some kind of accommodation for a new torch and tower within the stadium view itself during the Games.

Watching again on youtube the arrival and lighting ceremony was very moving for me. I surprised myself, I think I could have used a half dozen tissues

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 5:56 PM

Speaking of Olympics, what are your guys' hopes on a 2030 Olympics? Personally, I want to believe there is a good chance. There are only two other cities in the world competing with us, and neither of the cities have the venues needed already in place. Also, neither of them could put the games on for as cheap as us. I just hope the IOC wil realize that and give the Games to us. 2030!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 6:07 PM
Space Magi

I actually know a little more about the torch situation. Back when I was an undergrad at the U, (graduated 2017) I was part of a design group that worked with the athletics department to try to improve the gameday experience. One of my suggestions at the time was exactly what ucsbgaucho was saying: why not incorporate the torch somehow and light it at games?

Apparently the main reason they don't light it is because it would be expensive. That's the answer I got. Maybe that has something to do with the way it was designed to be lit? It's also complicated because the U doesn't actually own the torch, so they didn't include it in the designs of the SEZ expansion because they were unsure what they could even do with it.

I was relieved to find out that they actually came up with a plan to reinstall it at the stadium because it would be tragic if it ended up like the Hoberman Arch.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 8:02 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
Found this interesting design proposal on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_eJQI-H...=1dxcvvg1ucvyi

Don't you guys get it? You walk over to the end of the walkway sand that's when you get beamed up to your retro spaceship! Or maybe watch a drive in
movie with your friends who are, er above you and to your right. LONG LIVE GOOGIE! Bring it! Totally non-functional, economically questionable swoopy spaceships are making a comeback.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 8:41 PM
Space Magi

Short photo update

All photos taken today

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
All photos taken today

Thanks for the photo update, Atlas!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:34 PM

Wow, Exchange is really coming along. So is Sugar Alley actually happening or is that just staging for now?

Also, I noticed these two women with the baby carriages below don't have face masks on. I guess you guys don't have to wear face masks. Here in L.A. we'll get ticketed without a mask.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 9:54 PM

Technically yes, it is mandatory to wear a face mask out in public in Salt Lake proper. The city is providing masks to any person who requests one (as many as six per household) and so right now is a bit of a grace period. But apparently they'll start enforcing it in the next week or so. It'll be a class B misdemeanor to be without one.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:10 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
Technically yes, it is mandatory to wear a face mask out in public in Salt Lake proper. The city is providing masks to any person who requests one (as many as six per household) and so right now is a bit of a grace period. But apparently they'll start enforcing it in the next week or so. It'll be a class B misdemeanor to be without one.
Like I could ever get my kids to wear a mask for more than about two seconds.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbash View Post
Speaking of Olympics, what are your guys' hopes on a 2030 Olympics? Personally, I want to believe there is a good chance. There are only two other cities in the world competing with us, and neither of the cities have the venues needed already in place. Also, neither of them could put the games on for as cheap as us. I just hope the IOC wil realize that and give the Games to us. 2030!
What's crazy about the Olympics is that in less than two years, China is hosting them. After all this, I'm amazed that they aren't seriously discussing whether they should be moved. Who would travel TO China?

They won't announce the 2030 host for 3 more years, but I have to think they'll keep this at the front of their mind. It can't go back to Asia again (it'll have been in Asia 4 times since 2008). The 3 bids for 2030 are SLC, Japan and Spain... I have to think they won't give it to Sapporo for the above reasons. I really think SLC has a great chance; the only negative against us is Los Angeles having the summer games 2 years earlier.

Old Posted May 2, 2020, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
This is the first I've heard of this. Do you have a source?

Technically it was also a class B misdemeanor to be in a group of more than 10 people, or to go out for non-essential business, but it doesn't mean that it was enforced. So I'll believe that it's enforced when I see it. Considering we're already opening things up, I find it hard to believe that it will happen.

Last edited by bob rulz; May 2, 2020 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 12:04 AM

Does anyone think the Hyatt Regency downtown will get cancelled, with hotel companies now struggling financially?

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 11:50 AM

Utah Real Estate Challenge 2020

Never heard about UREC but this years real estate challenge was to make a mock development on the corner where Ken Sanders Rare Books and the adjacent parking lot is, here's the link: https://eccles.utah.edu/ivory-boyer-...ate-challenge/

The winner was announced May 1st. Here's the winners presentation video that was shown to the judges: https://youtu.be/_nGUY7-mQEE

Pretty cool ideas of what the near future of that corner could look like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West